Too young to run?

Options
What is a good age to start a child running? I think it might be a good outlet for all my 7 y/o's extra energy.

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I, too am interested in this question. I have a 4.5-yr-old who seems to like to run and wants to run with me. There is a website for children runners, I can't remember it, but try googling it. Anyway, for a 5K, the recommended age seems to be about 8. I know that some fun-runs have 1K's for the little ones. I'm sure that a responsible replier to your question would also say to talk to your kid's doctor... Good luck. I can't wait to see what others say.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    They're never too young.
  • JenniferEM2012
    JenniferEM2012 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started running in the third grade. At my school there was one teacher per grade, starting at third, that would have their students run. We would run for 30 minutes as soon as the school bell rang. In fourth grade I would run for 45 mins and fifth grade I would run for an hour and a half. I loved it and it kept me in shape.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I competed in cross country running and track races from 7 years old and I loved it.
    Here in Ireland for sports or gym class it was mainly camogie, hurling or Gaelic football, for other sports such as athletics or rugby we would have to join a club, sounds like in the US track and field is pretty standard on the curriculum from elementary school upwards.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Seven is a good age. Get him going!
  • johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My daughter started at 7 and today she's 13 and has competed at the National Jr. Olympics twice.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are but in Australia we havea program called Little Athletics which is aimed at little kids from 5 years old up to 16 years. Maybe you have something like this in your town.

http://www.littleathletics.com.au/site/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&OrgID=3664
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I'd say go for it. My friend/neighbor got her daughter involved in Kids Running America through her school. She's 8, and just completed a marathon's worth of miles over the last couple of months. And she loves it! Also, I belong to a couple running groups and my Saturday morning one is full of families with little ones--there are 4 year olds who are actually running with their parents. We do a basic course that's just under 3 miles, and lots of people run/walk it when they are just starting out. The kids seem to be having a lot of fun.
  • KellyOnlySmaller
    KellyOnlySmaller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this, too! I would love to get my kids started. My youngest is 6, and he has some serious energy! Thanks for posting this! :)
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    7 should be fine as long as they're not overdoing it. My 7 year old granddaughter really surprised me with her endurance and sprints. The big concern is overtraining them. Kids know what's fun and parental pressure. Make sure they don't feel obligated to keep up, but give them the opportunity to set the pace. If it's too fast then you can teach them to dial it back and pace themselves. Starting off the only speeds they usually know is flat-out and walking. Work on developing a good pace for them and then speed work can come in later. Most of all though, have fun with it and enjoy the time out running. That freedom you get from running.... well you're now sharing it with somebody who loves you. What's better than that?!! (Aside from an Apache helicopter... they have missiles and guns)
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have seen as young as 4 at some of the races I have run. I had a 10 year old almost beat me...thank goodness his shoe came untied :). Figure if they have the ability to run then they are old enough.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My daughter started at 7 and today she's 13 and has competed at the National Jr. Olympics twice.

:drinker:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If they enjoy it, start now. If they don't, try other sports or athletic classes.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Seven seems like a pretty reasonable age to me. I'm not a parent but as a kid, I LOVED running around my neighborhood. Totally wish I would've had someone to run with me, teach me proper technique, motivate/support, etc. I say go for it!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your kid stays hydrated.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    We all did track & field and cross country in elementary school :) If he/she doesn't like running, try soccer or baseball or something that might break p the boredom of running.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    My seven year old has so much energy,I take him to the track at the high school and just let him go.He's gone around twice by the time I make it around once,

I'm actually surprised by the question. Used to be running is what kids did!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! I'm pretty new to this myself, but I think it might be a fun activity for us to do together.
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    7 years old sounds like a good age to start ;D
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My two girls run all the time and they are 3 and 7. We don't force run them or anything, but when we go out for walks, generally they run way ahead, then back to us, then way ahead, then back. When my husband and I run, they keep up, but it is generally for shorter distances like 2-3 miles, with walking interspersed.

And like Beachiron says, make sure they're drinking plenty of fluids.