Am I Starving my husband on the 17 day diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Your husband is probably thinking those kids of yours are looking pretty tender and tasty by now.

Feed him, or hide them.

ahahahaha! "The husband (dingo) ate yo' babies!"
    Options

Guys? Hell, even I eat 120ish grams of protein a day. Anyone would be smart to stay away from me, if I don't... lol

And you look amazing! If that's not a fine testimonial for getting plenty of protein, I don't know what is.

PROTEIN!

thank you kindly.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter jelly sandwich the man! STAT!!!!

I think if I only ate that for only one day I would die.

Get him to the gym lifting heavy or couch 25k. Something, then he can eat even more.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One thing that I'll have to say is that your body will get used to the reduced caloric intake. Honestly? What you had listed for what he was eating is just too danged much. Serisouly? A Beef Pot Pie for a snack? Those things can be upwards of 500+ calories. Definitely no snack, IMO.

Having a smaller intake for a while would be a good thing for him, IMO.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Breakfast ideas -
    oatmeal
    wrap with 2 tbsp peanutbutter, 2 tbsp granola, 1 sliced strawberry, 1/2 sliced banana
    greek yogurt + granola + fruit

Snack ideas -
    celery and peanut butter
    hummus & veggies
    grilled chicken & hummus wrapped inside of a romaine leaf

Lunch ideas -
    dinner leftovers
    chicken salad - use greek yogurt instead of mayo and add in celery & onion (add 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce for buffalo chicken salad!)

Dinner ideas -
    starches: brown rice, quonia, risotto, whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes
    proteins: salmon, tilapia, codfish, shrimp, scallops, ground turkey, chicken, lean pork

stews, chilis (I have a great recipe for buffalo chicken chili), roasts

stirfry - brown rice, protein & veggies

tacos (on whole wheat or ezekiel tortillas)- fish (tilapia, lime juice & cilantro), ground turkey, salsa chicken (1 can of salsa + a few pieces of chicken in the crockpot), carnitas (lean pork tenderloin + green chiles + seasoning in the crockpot all day)

pasta - ground turkey or ground chicken meatballs, shredded veggies in the sauce, sugar-free sauce with whole grain/whole wheat pasta

bbq - grilled turkey burgers, kabobs, organic all beef hot dogs, chicken sausage

These are all things I feed my husband.. it took a while for him to get used to things but I introduced things slowly, one thing at a time. Like making the switch from white to wheat/whole grain or even flourless items.. and then from ground beef to ground turkey. He still gets sick of chicken, but he loves fish now and we have a good steak at least twice a month which is really the only red meat we eat regularly. He doesn't even really need to lose weight, but we strive to eat as healthy as we can for our son and he has lost weight in eating this way.

I am happy to provide more recipes or share some sample meal plans if you are interested.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    What happens on the 18th day???
    Options

combustion
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    the simple answer is if he is constantly hungry he is either eating too far below his bmr or he is too use to eating massive amounts of calories above his bmr.

let me ask you this? what happens after 17 days? sounds like a quick fix, which IMO is the wrong way to appraoch weightloss (coming from a guy who lost 70lbs)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you do a juice fast and crap out keytones and unicorn blood.
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options

I know, right? I wanna know the difference between day 16 and day 17. At midnight on day 16 does the weight just drop off so by day 17 you can stop?
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    you do a juice fast and crap out keytones and unicorn blood.

Dr. Oz says it will help you detox.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    He needs to plan his own diet - then he will own it and make his own decisions. You may be helping him too much for his own good xxx

I agree. Your husband is a mature adult and should be responsible for what goes in his own mouth. Making suggestions and convincing him of the wisdom of healthy eating is one thing. Rationing his food is another. The saying is that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach starving him might be the way out
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    LOL Ok i couldn't even make it through all the comments, aparently not enough food. I had a feeling when he saw what i had packed for him he wasnt thrilled, but hes a good sport, so he didn't say anything.

I am tracking for him on MFP, but even if he hit 1200 a day i just don't think thats enough for him. Ill make sure to toss something else in his lunch for him.

Thank you everyone (don't want him to eat the short people, they aren't ripe enough yet)

Just FYI, on the 18th day you start the second phase of the diet. I believe this is where you introduce the grains back in.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Breakfast ideas -
    oatmeal
    wrap with 2 tbsp peanutbutter, 2 tbsp granola, 1 sliced strawberry, 1/2 sliced banana
    greek yogurt + granola + fruit

Snack ideas -
    celery and peanut butter
    hummus & veggies
    grilled chicken & hummus wrapped inside of a romaine leaf

Lunch ideas -
    dinner leftovers
    chicken salad - use greek yogurt instead of mayo and add in celery & onion (add 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce for buffalo chicken salad!)

Dinner ideas -
    starches: brown rice, quonia, risotto, whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes
    proteins: salmon, tilapia, codfish, shrimp, scallops, ground turkey, chicken, lean pork

stews, chilis (I have a great recipe for buffalo chicken chili), roasts

stirfry - brown rice, protein & veggies

tacos (on whole wheat or ezekiel tortillas)- fish (tilapia, lime juice & cilantro), ground turkey, salsa chicken (1 can of salsa + a few pieces of chicken in the crockpot), carnitas (lean pork tenderloin + green chiles + seasoning in the crockpot all day)

pasta - ground turkey or ground chicken meatballs, shredded veggies in the sauce, sugar-free sauce with whole grain/whole wheat pasta

bbq - grilled turkey burgers, kabobs, organic all beef hot dogs, chicken sausage

These are all things I feed my husband.. it took a while for him to get used to things but I introduced things slowly, one thing at a time. Like making the switch from white to wheat/whole grain or even flourless items.. and then from ground beef to ground turkey. He still gets sick of chicken, but he loves fish now and we have a good steak at least twice a month which is really the only red meat we eat regularly. He doesn't even really need to lose weight, but we strive to eat as healthy as we can for our son and he has lost weight in eating this way.

I am happy to provide more recipes or share some sample meal plans if you are interested.

OH MY GOSH! Thank you! These suggestions sound wonderful and easy! Buffalo chicken salad, HELLO!!! YUM!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    LOL Ok i couldn't even make it through all the comments, aparently not enough food. I had a feeling when he saw what i had packed for him he wasnt thrilled, but hes a good sport, so he didn't say anything.

I am tracking for him on MFP, but even if he hit 1200 a day i just don't think thats enough for him. Ill make sure to toss something else in his lunch for him.

Thank you everyone (don't want him to eat the short people, they aren't ripe enough yet)

Just FYI, on the 18th day you start the second phase of the diet. I believe this is where you introduce the grains back in.

Something tells me that for him to lose weight he should be eating much more than 1200. Probably closer to 2000
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My husband wanted to lose some weight and being the supportive wife (who has recently gained 10lb and i need to lose) i decided we could try the 17 day diet. He need to revamp the way he eats and his portions. its crazy! Lunch is usually two lean cuisine meals, then he has a beef pie for a snack before dinner. He doesn't have my sweet tooth, but he does like his protein.

So today he will eat:
    Breakfast: yogurt, strawberries
    Snack: cheese (babybel), protein bar
    Lunch: BIG salad with turkey and avocado (Ok i realize big salad could be a matter of opinion. 3 cups romain lettuce, 2 cups spinach, celery stalk, two radishes, half an avocado, half a cup of lean turkey meat, little bit of olive oil)
    Snack: baby carrots
    Dinner: grilled salmon with steamed asparagus and carrots

However, hes hungry! I am not someone who loves to cook or can get too creative. I am looking for suggestions that I can easily put together and throw in a bag for his lunch snacks during the day. If he gets hungry he will find his own food and that could be a box of hot wings from KFC. Suggestions please!!!

Well I got to agree with everyone else, lol. I'd give him eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast, 5 ounces of turkey at lunch, some protein snack in the afternoon (cheese, yogurt, beef jerky, whatever he likes) and not touch dinner. Then he would probably be eating enough.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Try 2,000. Toss a little more something into all his meals.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

You start cycle 2.. the next 17 days.. and what you can eat become less restrictive. A bunch of my friends are doing this too.. they are all losing weight.. I think they add in exercise during cycle 2 or 3.. can't remember what my friends said. I personally don't like the diet.. but people do what people do.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Your husband is probably thinking those kids of yours are looking pretty tender and tasty by now.

Feed him, or hide them.

hahahahah this made my day!