Suggestions, Ideas, Info on weak & sore knees (not a runner)

Options
I have searched the forms up and down and have not found what I'm looking for. Most of the threads are dedicated to runners, which makes sense, but unfortunately that is not my issue.

I have 'weak knees' which basically means they are pathetic *****y joints who like to natter at me as I go up & down stairs and now moan/groan and even growl as I do my work outs (especially Tae Bo). The elliptical is fine, but I'm not interested in being relegated to that or a swimming pool just to get fit.

I do not want to limit my exercising because they are being big sissies. I actually WANT to be able to graduate to lifting and doing things like squats as my body gets stronger and more coordinated. I'm hoping that as I grow stronger, so will they.

What I'd like to know is, will braces for the knees help the pain? It's mostly above the knee with a little on the sides. If aches or feels a bit like a burning but not a sharp pain. It's also been around for a few years (yay aging as a chubby girl!)

Also, do shoes make a big difference if you're not running or doing a lot of jumping (I limit that and tend to do more of a toe-bounce when jumping is involved to lower the impact).

Thanks for any suggestions, and sorry if this a repeat post, but I just couldn't find what I was looking for (Damn. Just songbombed myself with U2)

Replies

• TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    ♪♫Please, please tell me now. Is there something I should know? Is there something I should say, that will make you come my way?♬♩

tumblr_m5ro6gS05i1qio0yao1_250.gif
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Honestly the more I walked the stairs at work and the more weight I lost the less they hurt. After I lost my first 20 lbs I noticed that my knees just didn't hurt anymore.
  • fishhawk1400
    fishhawk1400 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    braces don't help with the pain. I had/have bad knees. When I first started getting serious about exercising again, i couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting a jarring pain in my left knee. After I lost about 25 lbs my knee pain is gone for the most part.
    I hate doing the eliptical and treadmill to but I tough it out. I have found by doing the workout that scooby recommends for cardio
    the time flies by alot faster..
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you quoted Duran Duran ...

As a former "big' woman, in her mid 40's, I can feel your pain. I had "dodgy" knees, and they would play up after running or long walks. I found losing weight and building the muscles in my legs have resolved the problem. Weighted squats and lunges are your friends, yes they may make your knees sore at first, but they will make your legs stronger.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you're a runner or not, strengthening exercises for you knees will help as well as good shoes. I had to run with a high arched shoe during basic training. It killed my knees. As soon as I could convince the DS to let me switch out to the Adidas that I brought with me to processing I was in heaven. You can do body weight squats against a wall. Take a ball, maybe a soccer ball, bouncy ball, whatever, and place it behind your back. Squat down and stand back up again. Doing this will help increase strength in your knees.

So, shoes. Well, you really need to go to a runners store and get fitted and have your gait checked. It could be that you need a stability shoe and you're wearing a shoe designed for somebody with a normal gait. Don't worry about them being more expensive, as I've found they're competitive with retail chains. Understand though that they don't carry lower quality shoes. Expect $90-$120 range. If you're scared by the price at least give it a try. Nobody is going to make you buy them.

Onto the moan/groan.... Have you tried fish oil? I was surprised at how much better my joints feel. GNC 1240's are good, and half the size of normal fish oil pills. I am currently taking Muscle Pharm fish oil and like them. It's normal sized but the price is a little cheaper and the quality the same.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine pills (deva brand) for my joints because i used to hurt my knees/ankles. the serving is 3 per day, i take two in the morning before my workout, and one at dinner (i like to spread out any pill that requires more than one a day to potentially increase absorption).

i can't swear it works, but i'm pretty darn confident it does. I haven't had any knee issues in months whatsoever, and i'm currently running 6 miles 5 days a week. It was also working when i was walk/jog/running 13 miles.

my knees used to always bother me, and sometimes put me out of commission. no longer.

i still avoid lunges and stuff like that because of past experience with them wrecking me. i might be able to do them now, but.... yea, the risk is there and i'm happy with my current workout.

also -- form, form, form.
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    They say that every single pound you lose takes four pounds of stress off of each knee. I know that when I started my weight loss journey at about 250 pounds, I couldn't do much high-impact stuff or my knees ached. Now, around 180, I can do pretty much anything. But that makes sense, as I've removed almost 300 pounds of pressure off my knees! So, don't worry if your exercise options are more limited right now, as I'm sure more things will open up to you as you progress.

As regards the other part of your question, I have weak wrists. I've broken both of them many times and they're just sort of lousy. Pushups, for example, are pretty tricksy for me, and so are some plank/walking plank-type manouevers. So, I just don't do those things. Or, I modify them. For example, I do pushups on my fists so my wrists can stay straight, and I do planks on my elbows. There is no shame in having to modify exercises (and I'm only 26!). Remember that you're working out to make your body better, not to mess it up more. :)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've got really ****y knees. I started with the leg press going progressively heavier (started about 70kg and made it up to 140kg before swapping to squats). I still have bad days if I wear the wrong shoes (sadly pretty heels screw my knees) but they're fewer and far between and I can fight through them.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about anything, but you had no replies so here is an unscientific anecdote to be refuted haha.

I play tennis with women in their sixties who have sore knees - some have had operations on their cartilage, etc. Tennis is very hard on knees because of the propping and changes of direction.

Most of them do wear knee braces under physio directions; some of the braces are extremely industrial. I was talking to one lady last week and she said that the brace helps the cartilage and little muscles around the knee with supporting the joint and keeping everything tight and in the right place. A couple do squats against a wall for strengthening, one swears by sprinting up and down in a pool. Some of them are overweight and have been told losing weight would help a lot, and they sigh.

None of them say that the brace helps with the pain. That is what the drugs are for. It just helps prevent further damage, so that they can continue to play a sport that they love.
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    You're asking for very specific information about braces and tricks, so you may not welcome my input. I was a 3 to 5 mile a day walker for years, and I'm a fast walker. In my glory days, I could walk 5 minutes in 58 to 62 minutes, depending how well I was moving that morning.

Due to my hip and knee issues, I ride an exercise bike. I've known several former runners/walkers who opt to switch to bking as they've gotten older. Running/walking is very hard on the joints.

I do anywhere from 32 to 55 minutes a day on a stationary bike. It is a super calorie burn, much more than walking. I was a 3 to 5 mile a day walker for years. The bike is a better workout and a more efficient use of my limited time to work out. I wish I'd realized this years ago.

I can tell you that as I've dropped weight, I have fewer hip and knee issues. I did a 5K Saturday which was sort've like an off day from cardio. Seriously, no big deal. My knees were fine. My hips never hurt a bit. My bunion killed me!!

It's not glamorous on any level. It's not cool, but I strongly recommend stationary bikes to anyone who will listen.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for your replies. Plenty to look into, and alternatives to help the process along.

Much appreciated!

Bailey
  • PatoGro
    PatoGro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello TheBaileyHunt,

I think it all depends on your diagnosis (i.e. what your doctor advises). It's a fact that losing weight will alleviate the pain / weakness, but I don't think you should go on any supplements or choose an exercise routine before getting medical advice, as there are various knees conditions. In my case, I have osteochondritis. I was advised not to put any extra weight on knees and avoid squats for a while, and to do stationary bike (no resistance) EVERYDAY, to improve knee lubrication. HIH.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is my totally non-scientific personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. I have had knee problems for a while, but recently they have gotten better through lifting. Specifically, although my quads were fairly developed, my hamstrings were not and the back of my knees were not very flexible. The thing that helps the most is deadlifts with a barbell, both standard and Romanian. Those have helped develop my hamstings and the backs of my knees are more flexible. It may not work for everyone, of course, depending on what is causing the knee pain.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Once you drop weight that is more than half the battle. I have a joint disease that had me walking with a cane for a few years. When I dropped that extra 20lbs it made the biggest difference in the world.

I couldn't squat 100lbs from the pain four months ago. Today my working set was 290 lbs. I run every day at least 5k, sometimes I'll run half marathons on back to back days when my knee are especially good.

I would really pay attention to you and your body and find your limitations to stick with.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    something else i wanted to add --

i also noticed that i'd often sit in odd positions, like with my leg under me at full or near full knee closure. i decided that might be putting strain on my knees, and now actively avoid those positions. now i try to sit with my legs either straight out (on a foot rest) or at a normal 90 degree angle, not ever bent underneath my other leg. this also seemed to help me. totally unscientific, but worth a thought.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Having bad knees myself, I can empathize with you.
    I started with 'walk at home' by Leslie Sansome. You can find the videos on YouTube, I have friends who have lost over 100 lb. just doing that program!
    This month I have added squats, I guess they're called 'Sumo squats' because of how far out I place my feet. It strengthens the core and builds up the supporting muscles & ligaments around the knees, it has made a huge difference in decreasing my pain level!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hello TheBaileyHunt,

I think it all depends on your diagnosis (i.e. what your doctor advises). It's a fact that losing weight will alleviate the pain / weakness, but I don't think you should go on any supplements or choose an exercise routine before getting medical advice, as there are various knees conditions. In my case, I have osteochondritis. I was advised not to put any extra weight on knees and avoid squats for a while, and to do stationary bike (no resistance) EVERYDAY, to improve knee lubrication. HIH.

I agree with this. I have fibromyalgia, which means that my joints hurt but there's nothing actually wrong with them. So whatever exercise feels ok is ok. But for my friends with rheumatoid arthritis it's a different story because there's actual damage and inflammation going on. I'd ask your doctor.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, but can offer some second hand advice I have received from various physiotherapists who have treated me. I used to run cross country races, but stopped in my late teens due to various injuries. Did another knee intensive sport as an adult (speed skating) which required a lot of intervention by physios.

1. A lot of knee stability problems are caused by weak quads. Strengthening the quads with weighted leg extensions stabilizes the knee area.
    2. A lot of knee and leg injuries are caused by weak core. Look up core exercises for the glutes, lower back and ab areas.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of knee problems you have. I have had chondromalacia since I was a teenager, and there are exercises I can do to strengthen the tendons to help keep my knee cap from sliding the wrong way. I do run which is not great, but I just got one of those straps to support it which seems to help.

A lot of times losing weight helps, but it could be a chronic problem that you could be making worse. Go see an orthopedist and don't let him bully you into surgery! If your insurance is good, you could go get a little PT and learn how to strengthen your knees without doing further damage.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    See if you can go to a physical therapist, they will actually be able to help with this. My knee acts up when my hip gets tight and the tendons around the knee were really weak. I never would have made the connection. I've never had hip pain. I always thought it was an old injury from being hit by a car. Physical therapist made it possible for me to build strength and with good shoes I can do high impact moves in Turbo Jam.