Diet for people with gout

Options
They always tell me that I have to increase my protein intake but I have gout when I do. I did some research on gout and...
It seems that all food available for people with gout are complex carbs and any kind of meat is limited. Does anybody have any recommendations on diets if you have gout?

Friends welcome, my diary is also public if you need to review it.

Replies

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine has terrible gout :(
    I know when he eats healthy for dieting he take a lot of salad with chicken and also cottage cheese.

I know that's not a lot of food suggestion, sorry.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yah, when it hits it gets me sidelined from any exercise because of the pain... so far cottage cheese and chicken is good... :-)
  • edwait1
    edwait1 Posts: 1
    Options
    bonjalandoni: Don't know if you've gotten the information you were looking for or now but here's some things to take into mind regarding gout.

1. Staying well hydrated is one of the top priorities. And, I don't just mean replacing fluid after working out. If you drink alcohol, you need to increase your water intake above the daily recommended 8 glasses per day. Actually, for all gout sufferers, that number should be closer to 10 glasses every day. The less hydrated we are, the less able our body is to eliminate any excess uric acid - chemical that causes gout.

2. Definitely limit purine rich meats, but don't completely stop eating meat. Things like shellfish, organ meats, and processed deli meats are super high in purines. Beef, pork, and chicken are less dense in purine but still high. You probably want to eliminate the first three things completely from your diet during a gout flare up, but for normal meals, eating small amounts of lean meat (the last three things I mentioned) ALONG WITH plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and complex carbs is the best bet. Much better than completely eliminating all meats.

3. Completely eliminate alcohol during a flare up - and for a week or two afterwords. Wine, by the way, was seen to be slightly beneficial in helping to reduce incidence of gout flare ups. SLIGHT. But beer on the other hand, is a huge contributor to gout.

4. Low-fat dairy products have also been shown to a good food choice for gout patients due to their anti-inflammatory properties.

5. Limit sugar as much as possible and products containing high fructose corn syrup. Soda, ketchup, etc . There's 1000;s. So become a label reader.

Hope that helps. You can learn more at www.goutdatasheet.com
  • sghcab051411
    sghcab051411 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My husband has horrible gout flare ups and as long as I keep him away from the soda and keep him hydrated he is usually good. We also stay away from eating a lot of steak because that effects his gout. One thing we have found that really helps is Cherry Juice. He drinks a bottle of juicy juice cherry juice every week and it has been months since hes had an attack. If he starts to feel like he has one coming on we load him up with cherry juice and can sometimes get the attack to not appear. Hope this helps a little.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that gluten is linked to my gout flare ups. Thai food and Indian food lean more on the vegetarian and gluten free side and are good choices for gout sufferers who tend to eat out. My weight loss and gout control is due to a simple gluten free diet and minimizing meat intake to 4 oz per day. I eat all the raw and roasted vegetables that I can to make up for it.