Most calories burned in a day?

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
I'm going to try to do 2,000 calories today...I'm training for a half-marathon and eventually a marathon, so I want to get my body use to doing long strenuous activities. Just wondering what everyone else does for their intense workouts and what's the highest cals you've burned in a day?:heart:

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For awhile I was doing 2k 3x a week. I've done over 6000 about 10 times and twice have done over 8k. Not that I am recommending it. Those were all pretty damaging to my body. I was just mainly interested in whether or not I could do it and was willing to accept the setbacks it cost me.
  • angbieb
    Options
    For awhile I was doing 2k 3x a week. I've done over 6000 about 10 times and twice have done over 8k. Not that I am recommending it. Those were all pretty damaging to my body. I was just mainly interested in whether or not I could do it and was willing to accept the setbacks it cost me.

In one day? OMG!
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Since I have started tracking, I would say today is up there with 1,500+. On the weekends I am at the gym longer since I have more time so it just seems like I burn ridiculous amounts. That's only twice a week though. My goal is 300 a day at the gym but that was before I bought my monitor. Now riding the same bike for example I am burning way more according to my monitor than the reading on the machines. That was an eye opener for me. I always thought those machines were somewhat accurate.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say -- if you work out longer it's probably going to be less intense. I'd say my most intense workouts are marathons (26.2 miles), which MFP calculates at about 3800 calories. But I recently paced a friend who was doing a 100-mile race. I walked/ran with him the last 38 miles in about 10 hours, which MFP says is over 3900 calories -- but that seemed easier to me than a marathon.
  • angbieb
    Options
    It's hard to say -- if you work out longer it's probably going to be less intense. I'd say my most intense workouts are marathons (26.2 miles), which MFP calculates at about 3800 calories. But I recently paced a friend who was doing a 100-mile race. I walked/ran with him the last 38 miles in about 10 hours, which MFP says is over 3900 calories -- but that seemed easier to me than a marathon.

Incredible Dave...what a great friend you are finishing off the race with him!!:heart:
  • workavoidance
    Options
    Backpacking with a 40 lb pack is something like 4000-5000exercise calories per 6 hr day. When I double up my regular workouts, it's about 2000-3000. I would not recommend doing more than: 6 hours moderate exercise or 3 hours high intensity exercise in a day. I also wouldn't recommend doing this a regular thing. If you get really into endurance training, make it cycling... less wear and tear per mile than anything else I can think of.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Since I have started tracking, I would say today is up there with 1,500+. On the weekends I am at the gym longer since I have more time so it just seems like I burn ridiculous amounts. That's only twice a week though. My goal is 300 a day at the gym but that was before I bought my monitor. Now riding the same bike for example I am burning way more according to my monitor than the reading on the machines. That was an eye opener for me. I always thought those machines were somewhat accurate.

What makes yo think your HRM is correct?
    HRM are infallible didn't you know
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options

What makes yo think your HRM is correct?

There really is no way to know. I went with the recommended version from an exercise physiologist based on her research of different ones. Then again I guess how would she know? There is no real answer. I know for me one days when I half *kitten* it at the gym my monitor reflects it, does that mean its right? Nope. But for me it seems to work. Nothing will ever be 100% even with the best tracking system.
  • matt2053
    matt2053 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

How did you manage to burn 8,000 calories in one day? Run 50 miles? Somehow i doubt that....
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options

How did you manage to burn 8,000 calories in one day? Run 50 miles? Somehow i doubt that....
    It took me nearly 15 hours. A combination of elliptical, jogging, walking, and stationary bike. I averaged less than 10 calories a minute, which is quite easy for me to do. But it's good to know that without knowing a thing about me or my workout regimen, you automatically doubt me. Because since you doubt me, it means it's not within your realm of fitness. Which just reinforces what a badass I thought I was :) Thanks!
  • angbieb
    Options
    Backpacking with a 40 lb pack is something like 4000-5000exercise calories per 6 hr day. When I double up my regular workouts, it's about 2000-3000. I would not recommend doing more than: 6 hours moderate exercise or 3 hours high intensity exercise in a day. I also wouldn't recommend doing this a regular thing. If you get really into endurance training, make it cycling... less wear and tear per mile than anything else I can think of.

I think cycling is a great idea for endurance training...less wear and tear..thanks! THat helps a lot!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Incredible Dave...what a great friend you are finishing off the race with him!!:heart:

I've done that a couple times -- it's actually a really neat experience, and I'm going to pace another friend at Western States 100 mile race this year. It's amazing to see people with that kind of endurance. I can't imagine doing it myself but I really like helping out.
  • angbieb
    Options

I've done that a couple times -- it's actually a really neat experience, and I'm going to pace another friend at Western States 100 mile race this year. It's amazing to see people with that kind of endurance. I can't imagine doing it myself but I really like helping out.

That is awesome...because I'm sure they really need it at that point in the race! It gives them that extra ooompf they need to finish the race! I wish I could run with you too! That is so nice!!
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options