High weight, low reps vs Low weight, high reps...

Options
Lost 45 pounds so far since I started back in January... Loving the app. Was apprehensive about taking on weight lifting initially primarily because I figured if I gained muscle weight I would get discouraged, but now I know I can do it.. So....

From what I've read (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Strength training is the way to go for less commitment v optimal results. The way I understood it was that while cardio burns more initial calories strength training will continue to burn calories steadily over the recovery period thus resulting in less required days to have that increased metabolism.

Which way is better though? High weight, low reps or Low weight, high reps.. or are they essentially the same thing?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Lost 45 pounds so far since I started back in January... Loving the app. Was apprehensive about taking on weight lifting initially primarily because I figured if I gained muscle weight I would get discouraged, but now I know I can do it.. So....

From what I've read (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Strength training is the way to go for less commitment v optimal results. The way I understood it was that while cardio burns more initial calories strength training will continue to burn calories steadily over the recovery period thus resulting in less required days to have that increased metabolism.

Which way is better though? High weight, low reps or Low weight, high reps.. or are they essentially the same thing?
    I am not sure about strength training burning calories during your recover and how it will affect your metabolism. Regarding rep-ranges one is not any better than the other. Generally speaking here is the common rep ranges and what the affect:
    1-3 pure strength based
    4-6 strength with hypertrophy tie in
    7-8 to 15 hypertrophy. 12-15 can be debated as the upper end of hypertrophy
    15 and over strength endurance.
    None of these rep ranges are written in stone. A lot of people experience their best leg growth doing reps 12 to 20 reps. Set up your program to have different rep ranges.
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Generally people who go for heavy weight low reps are concerned with moving the most amount of weight for instance power lifters. Bodybuilders focus on lower weight higher reps to encourage muscle hypertrophy to make their muscles look bigger. However you asked which is better and for someone just starting out and the most important thing is to go lift some heavy objects with proper form so you don't hurt yourself.

I usually shoot for about 8-12 reps with a weight. When I get to the 12th rep and its pretty easy next week I'll add 5 lbs and do those sets of 8 reps until I can work my way up to 12 reps again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Strength training in literal terms means to increase strength. To do that progressive overload is employed. What most people here who lift weights do and aren't trying to get stronger (aka conditioning muscle or for others it's known as "toning") is resistance training. Higher reps/low weight is muscular endurance training.

Intensity counts. That's why strength training is the preference for many.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I am doing the Starting Strength regimen. It calls for 7 sets x 5 reps each. The first 4 sets are warmup sets. The last 3 are sets across at your working weight. That's a total of 45 lifts. I trust Mark Rippetoe, so I will follow it. StrongLifts 5x5 is 25 reps. 5/3/1 is around 25 reps as well. I'm going to stick with Starting Strength for a while. I am working up to intermediate weights now but it's hard to keep gaining strength while running a caloric deficit. At some point, I'll need to eat more to add muscle and gain strength.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    High weight, high reps
  • renzosympa1
    Options
    BRO IF U WANNA GET SHREDDED, ALL YOU HAVE TO CHECK IS YOUR DIET, U GOTTA CHECK UR MACROS AND YOUR CALORES, DOESNT REALLY MATTER THE SOURCE OF CARBS , AS SOOS AS YOU HIT YOUR MACROS THEN U ARE DOING IT RIGHT, IM TERMS OF CALORIC DEFFICIT, CARDIO HELPS A LOT BUT U CAN CREAT A CALORIC DEFFICIT FROM DIET TOO, SO CARDIO IS A TOOOL
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way an expert but I'd say high weigh, low reps till you're more experienced anyway.

This might be totally wrong but I read on lean gains about them doing different things to different parts of the muscle - it all got very scientific and big words were used but the basic gist I got was that the high rep, lower weight option is the one that actually makes the muscles bigger when mostly what I hear from girls who are afraid that they are going to get 'bulky' is that this is the way to simply 'tone' the muscles.

Again, I might be picking up the article wrong but it seems the opposite is true and that heavy weight, low reps at a cal deficit will get you lean.

Oh, and don't jack in the cardio yet - I made that mistake last year. Unfortunately, you need both.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

But if it's too long, know that weight training preserves muscle while you diet. The best way to preserve muscle is also the best way to increase strength. Low reps, high weight, progressively adding weight as you safely can.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

if you think strength training somehow requires less comitment than something else, you are mistaken.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    play around with this...have fun 3 to 20 reps variety, spicing things up..I do powerlifting and some body building...so play with the entire range!! have fun!
  • ltruns
    ltruns Posts: 21
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

But if it's too long, know that weight training preserves muscle while you diet. The best way to preserve muscle is also the best way to increase strength. Low reps, high weight, progressively adding weight as you safely can.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^This.

Pick a proven program like: Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. There are plenty of other strength programs out there as well. Just pick one and stick to it for 6-12 months. Rep ranges are not really something you need to worry about at first. Many people gain strength and size on both power lifter and body building routines but gaining any measurable muscle while in deficit is unlikely. Eventually you may want a program that incorporates both.

Get enough protein and stick to a moderate calorie deficit while strength training. You might not see movement on the scale at first due to many factors such as water retention or even some small muscle gains but eventually any weight you do lose will be almost completely body fat.
  • ltruns
    ltruns Posts: 21
    Options

Whoops. Meant to say I whole heartedly agree. I'd also add that form is crucial, key and cannot be neglected. Do not count on any trendy fitness fads for this. (Not naming names) Know your lifts. Know your strength. Increase it by lifting a percentage (between 55-95%) until you increase your max. An increase in weight after committing to a strength program isn't guaranteed, but if you do gain with a decrease in body fat plus an increase in max, then it's probably muscle. Also, do add variety to the reps and types of workouts AFTER building a solid base. You don't want to hurt yourself bc form/strength are under developed. But variety is always good or your mind/body.