Series of Serious Questions :

Options
I am fairly new to the system of myfitnesspal and I am trying to learn the best ways to incorporate the right lifestyle for me.

I have a few systematic questions that I would greatly appreciate some input, comments, or advice on.

1.) Weigh-Ins: Do you only record the losses or both? Also, is every day weighing too much? Should it be once a week?

2.) Fast Food: I'm trying to wean off of fast food. What is the best advice for on the go quick meals that has helped you steer away from these places?

3.) I have been told that losing weight is a huge majority of a mental battle and I have found myself hitting a brick wall with this. How do you break through the caretaking and the constant diligent work you put into other people and just use it on yourself? (You'd only understand this if you struggled with it yourself, it's not as simple as "Just do it.")

Thank you so much for reading.

Always looking for active friends (:

Replies

• megge6537
    megge6537 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm pretty new at this too, but here's my take:

1. Daily weigh-ins make me obsess & hard to see a pattern due to normal day-to-day fluctuations. I'm doing it 2x a week, might go down to 1x per week. All changes (up or down) are logged.

2. I've been eating "better" fast food (ie subway) - still not great, but better than something fried. Also taking frozen meals to work (like lean cuisine)

3. Trying to set near-term goals to not be overwhelmed with the magnitude of the larger goal....but I struggle with this, so interested to see what others say.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    1.) Weigh-Ins: Do you only record the losses or both? Also, is every day weighing too much? Should it be once a week? I only record the losses--I know I'm eating at a deficit, so any blips upwards are normal water fluctuation. That doesn't interest me, just actual weight loss. When you weigh: depends on you. Some people freak out if they see a lot of variation, so shouldn't weigh that often. Others keep a rolling average, so they have to get a data point every day. Up to you.

2.) Fast Food: I'm trying to wean off of fast food. What is the best advice for on the go quick meals that has helped you steer away from these places? Can't help you here. I eat fast food a couple of times a week, and actually enjoy looking up the nutrition in advance and figuring out the tastiest meal that fits my goals for the day.

3.) I have been told that losing weight is a huge majority of a mental battle and I have found myself hitting a brick wall with this. How do you break through the caretaking and the constant diligent work you put into other people and just use it on yourself? (You'd only understand this if you struggled with it yourself, it's not as simple as "Just do it.") What works for me is to eat at a small enough deficit so that I don't feel deprived, and keep active doing things I like so I don't feel that exercise is a chore. Other than that, it's just a few minutes a day to track the calories in MFP, so for me it really doesn't require that much work or dedication. It sure used to back in the days when I "dieted" by restricting calories too much and was hungry all the time, and forced myself to exercise doing things I didn't like--which I would then quit when I stopped the dieting.

Best of luck finding out what works for you!
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good questions.
    For weight in's: I log it all. The up, the down, the plateau. Trust me when I say you find it comforting to notice patterns once a month to explain a weight gain. But do not beat yourself up. Weight gains can be bloating close to periods, too much salt, too much carbonation, or gassy foods. If you eat out a lot expect weight gain the next day, eating out is lots of sodium. Keep your journal honest, and record all. If you gain 5lbs, show it. It will prove to you later when it happens again that you did succeed in getting rid of it before and you can do it again.

Fast food, avoid it at all costs. First reason is, the sodium and heavy calories with very little nutrition. How to eat on the go? It takes prep, but after a few weeks you will notice the results in your wallet and waist line. Cucumber and tomato salads with fresh mozzerolla cheese is good to premake. Pasta salad with tons of veggies (I put tomatoes, corn, black olives, artichokes, and use veggie pasta, its delicious) are also good.

The best advice I can give you is the more time and effort you put in yourself the more you will have to give to others. You will feel daily, and have more energy even if all you do is walk with a neighbor, dog, or children. You need to consider yourself a main priority. I know for women that is hard. We are caretakers by nature. But I promise you, you will have more to give if you take care of yourself.

Good luck,
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to the system of myfitnesspal and I am trying to learn the best ways to incorporate the right lifestyle for me.

I have a few systematic questions that I would greatly appreciate some input, comments, or advice on.

1.) Weigh-Ins: Do you only record the losses or both? Also, is every day weighing too much? Should it be once a week?

2.) Fast Food: I'm trying to wean off of fast food. What is the best advice for on the go quick meals that has helped you steer away from these places?

3.) I have been told that losing weight is a huge majority of a mental battle and I have found myself hitting a brick wall with this. How do you break through the caretaking and the constant diligent work you put into other people and just use it on yourself? (You'd only understand this if you struggled with it yourself, it's not as simple as "Just do it.")

Thank you so much for reading.

Always looking for active friends (:

Hello there! Yes, weighing in every day is too much. Water weight is a common factor that causes weight to fluctuate every single day and if you step on the scale every day, you can become obsessed with a number when it should really be about how you feel, how your clothes fit, and even moreso inches. I do not always record a gain because of the same reasons. One week I may be 5 pounds heavier because if my period, who knows.

When I was trying to get off fast food, I started by searching on MFP to see when was the "healthiest" option at that food place. I also prepare Tupperware full of cut up fruits, veggies, prepare sandwiches and trail mix to take on the go with me so I have no excuse to stop for fast food, or I will waste what I already had. I do NOT like wasting money!

And for the last one, whenever I see a picture in a magazine or an ad that shows my goal or something health related u want to achieve, I just put it on my wall so I can see it. I always try to remember... I didn't gain weight in one day, I won't lose it in one day... And... I didn't get fat from one cheeseburger, so I won't get fit with one salad! I follow a ton if fitness Instagram pages to keep me motivated and mainly just turned my entire world into my goal. Being in shape is who I want to be and I make sure I tell myself that every day.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here are some hints:

1. Take pictures now. Store them away so you can take more as you progress.
    2. Take measurements now. Trust me you will need them when the scale stalls for a month or more.
    3. Take the scale and put it in the closet for two months. Most likely, it will only serve to discourage you.
    4. Work out a good scientific plan and stick to it. You cannot violate the laws of physics, it is calories in vs. calories out.
    5. Choose your exercise and stick to it. Do it when you're tired, sore, discouraged, hungry, happy, and sad. Just Do It.
    6. Log everything you eat, every morsel.
    7. Don't Try...DO!

This is a very long, discouraging process. It is also very rewarding as your goal gets within sight. You must be diligent, persistent, and honest with yourself. As much as everyone wants to think support is the key, it really isn't. You must find it within yourself to be accountable to yourself...be your own best friend and you will succeed. Good luck.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    1. I weigh myself daily but only enter my Friday weight. I expect a 3-5 pound variance (water weight) over the course of a week. Monday weigh-ins are ugly, because I tend to have a cheat meal on the weekends and the sodium and sugar cause water retention that is gone by mid-week.

2. I plan ahead, cook meals that yield a lot of leftovers, and pack my meals for work. When you cook at home, cook a lot -- 2 steaks instead of 1, 4 chicken breasts at a time, big soups and stews that serve multiple portions. When you package your leftovers, package them in individual containers instead of one big container so you can throw them in your lunch bag and go. I avoid the drive-throughs at all costs. If I have to do "fast" food, I eat at a quick service restaurant and go inside (Chipotle, Panera/Paradise Bakery). The only fast food I eat is Chik Fil A if I'm in a pinch, and then I get their chicken nuggets and fruit cup. I buy a lot of fresh fruit and veggies to pack in my lunch as well.

3. It really is as simple as "just do it," and I am a major compulsive eater and have struggled with weight my whole life. I finally figured out that it takes discipline and commitment. There isn't a substitute for showing up every single day and putting forth the effort. I've elevated the importance of healthy eating and fitness to the same level as work, school and family. I make time for it and I don't accept excuses. I will say that once you build positive habits and get some momentum going, doing it gets much easier.

The key really is showing up every day. If you screw up (and we all do), start over right then. Stop putting it off until Monday, or January, or before swimsuit season. Start and re-start right now all the time. There is no good time to lose weight. It will never be easier than today. Losing weight and improving your fitness level is hard, hard work, but it pays off immensely when you make the investment.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I don't cut out anything. Just now I'm eating the one bahn mi that I allow myself per week, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Allowing myself one per week gives me something to look forward to. I'm not dieting, I'm working to find a way to manage my food intake for the rest of my life.

As far as on the go foods, one of my favourites is to cook some chicken, onions, and green peppers, add a bit of salsa and quark cheese, and wrap it all up in a tortilla. I make my own tortillas because they're so easy, and I can make them small. this is quite often a meal for me. Good luck to you!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1) I only recorded loses. Just a personal preference... but then again if I gained it was only like .5 lbs
    2) I pack my lunch. I also have decided that any eating out money comes straight out of the grocery budget. I like cooking so I like to keep my options open with that. I really now only have 2 fast food places that I really allow myself to eat because I decided the taste of most fast food wasn't worth the calories.
    3) Set mini goals. Reflect often on the progress you made. In the middle of my journey I had to really focus on my progress in the gym. I still have to tell myself sometimes that just 6 months ago I couldn't lift x amount of weight.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I record losses AND Gaines. If I messed up last week, I let my friends know that I have just balanced out. My thought is it could be half a pound this week and next and next and then what?

I eat out at least once a week. Usually with my daughter. I pick up take out at Timmies. Yes the sodium is high but it's one day. Make your own choices and plan ahead if you can.

As for staying motivated, you got me. I just had a six month slump. I like to think I'm over it.

Best of luck to you!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Whatever the scale says on my weigh in day I record it. Gain or loss, whether it's water from a weekend of poor choices, TOM or a true gain. As for how often to weigh-in you'll figure out what's right for you with time. I initially wanted to weigh everyday but I had to start with once a month, I moved on to twice a month and I now way twice a month sometimes once a week. I can tell you I will never be someone that can weigh once a day. However, I'm sure there are people that feel the exact opposite.

2.) Fast Food: I'm trying to wean off of fast food. What is the best advice for on the go quick meals that has helped you steer away from these places? I still eat occasional fast food. The basic idea is planning. Whether it's planing a week of quick dinners to avoid bringing home fast food for dinner or packing a lunch and snacks the night before to avoid a fast food lunch. If your problem is strictly an on the go lunch issue by yourself a fun lunch bag and various reusable containers that fit in the bag and fill them with what you like in amounts that fit your calorie goals. If you have a great grocery store near by with a deli and salad bar and time to shop and eat every day at lunch you could avoid having to pack and prep but buying and preparing at home is still the best time and money saver there is.

I honestly am not sure what you mean here. If you mean how do you stop putting other people's needs before your own you honestly just do. You have to wake up one morning and say enough is enough. It is the hardest thing you will ever, ever do (it's harder than actually losing 94 pounds, I know). It might not all happen at once and it might take a long time. I've sought professional help in the matter and wasted thousands of dollars. What I know is that if you don't take care of you, you won't be able to take care of anyone else. Also, there comes a point where you just have to live your life for yourself and if living your life means losing weight than do that. Finally, you can only help people so far. If they aren't willing to help themselves in all the ways that they can and you are doing everything in your power to help them you aren't helping them at all you are only hurting yourself. And if that's not what you meant than I don't know what it was you were going for in the first place.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I weigh once a week same time, same clothes! I record both losses and gains bc we all know you dont loss every week!

2.) Fast Food: I'm trying to wean off of fast food. What is the best advice for on the go quick meals that has helped you steer away from these places? I dont steer clear of these places. You can still grab fast food. At McDonalds I get Grilled chicken sandwich no Mayo and a yogurt parfait

I am sorry to say but if you want it you will do it plain and simple!!

I lost 138 pds (by myself) and have 4 kids!
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I still eat at Taco Bell, McDonalds, Taco Johns, etc. However I have a list of 'go to' food to eat there. McDs: A grilled chicken McWrap, no ranch or on the side so i control how much goes on it. A yogurt parfait. A side salad with vinegrette. A grilled chicken sandwich (without the bun or half if you're watching that). Taco Bell: chicken softshell taco fresco (no cheese, added pico)...refried beans (no cheese, added pico). Taco Johns I get the same as Taco Bell.

My objective is to stick to grilled chicken, no or sauce on the side so I control it and check the fast food place's website to see what you know you can safely have before you go there!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I weigh in every morning and record it up or down. Before I got to goal I would record it on the 1st of every month and compare it to the previous month.

Just stopped going to any food place cold turkey. I prepare my lunches and any other food I will eat during work on Sunday. It helps that I don't care about variety, so I can eat the same thing for a week straight.

For me, I just told myself one day that I was going to do Low carb till I got to my goal weight. I also did the same thing about going to the gym. For me it was just was simple as "Just Do It" But I know if it was that easy for everyone we would all be inb great shape. The best thing I can tell you is the weight didn't get there over night and it won't come off over night. If you mess up one day there is always the next day to get right back to it.

Good Luck :happy:
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh all the time but I think your suppose to do once a week. Try cutting out fries and sodas. I at a torta from a Mexican food place. And a homemade salad. Ate half for lunch and half for dinner. Ate breakfast at home. I mix my food with home made healthy food. Subway sandwich with yoplait lite and small bag of pop corn. Still around 500 Cal. Good luck. Try to make healthier choices and the weight will come off.
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The ORIGINAL fast food was fresh fruits and veggies. Make sure to always have them on hand. when I run errands, I have apples or orange slices, a banana or carrot sticks in my purse.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    wellim just gonna answer numberr 1
    weigh ins record loses and gains
    only weigh in once a week in the morning
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions:

I weigh myself about ninety times a day. OK, but four anyway. I just do. I tend to note the Sunday weight because it's too much aggravation- and not important- if I fluctuate a quarter pound here and there. I don't want to drink a glass of water and run to add the eight ounces to the tabulator. I just have the habit of checking the scale.

Fast food: I look for improvement. I take abused kids to eat and that often means being around stuff that isn't good for me but is an absolute luxury for them because they so rarely get to go to Subway or McDonald's. I am looking for progress for myself, not perfection, and today that meant pizza and Friday it will be a salad at McDonald's. I also eat carrots or cucumbers or apples in the car on the way to get the kids so I'm not hungry. Scroll back through my eating plan and you can see where I learned that one.....

Enabling others at the cost to myself: I am my own best friend and worst enemy. I am not going to know anyone ever as long as I know myself and I want to have respect for myself. I want this body to haul around this brain for a very long time. I cannot be of help to others if I am not honest about my need to help myself, as well as to accept help from people like y'all. I went to the movies tonight and my spouse kept passing me the Reese's Pieces and I keep ignoring him. Sometimes I take them and drop them into my empty soda cup. But meeting his needs to be helpful isn't helpful because I will just gripe later. I have to be willing to be strong and to ask for what I need and to move on. But if I am kinder to myself that I will treat myself better and be healthier overall.
  • Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1 - Weigh-ins should be what works best for you. Try varying your weigh-in schedule till you find what works best for you. I did this, and found I hold myself more accountable when I weigh daily. Once in awhile, when I skip, I find my average weight beginning to trend upwards.

2 - Initially, fast foods were not easy to get away from, as I am an over-the-road truck driver, and time is often in short supply. I cannot speak for others, but found it to be easier over time. I do better when I only keep healthy snacks available as a means to avoiding temptation. Speaking for myself, it is easier to avoid fast foods if I avoid it altogether. Giving in to fast food for one meal makes it easier to give in again, and again, and again. You will have to gauge your own ability to resist.

I keep packages of soups in the truck, like Campbell's Go Soups. Even at two "servings" a pop (easier for me to just eat it all than try to store an open package), the calories fit reasonably well within my goals, I do not have to refrigerate them, and the price per "meal" is cheaper than you will pay at most fast food joints.

3 - Losing weight definitely starts with the mental process. You should frequently analyze your current level of commitment to your weight loss, as this can change often. In the beginning, your level of commitment towards your weight loss will likely fluctuate wildly, but over time, and with each milestone reached (success breeds success), your resolve will strengthen.

There are two simple questions you can ask yourself to gauge the strength of your resolve. First ask yourself, "How important is losing weight for me?" Your answer will be the answer to the next question, "What am I willing to give up to insure my success?", meaning, if you have weight loss in one hand, and anything that will prevent or hinder that in the other hand, which do you choose?
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I recorded gains and losses. Your body is going to be a particular weight no matter what you put down, so what's the point in lying about it? That said though, I don't weigh myself the day after consuming a lot of sodium or around a particular time of the month - that tends to just be water weight that goes away quickly.

I used to weigh myself every day, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're the type who can get obsessed with the scale. I'm trying to get less reliant on it now (maybe checking my weight once a week to see where I am). It was interesting to observe the fluctuations, although it could be a little stressful. But however often you do choose to weigh yourself, be sure that you do it under the same conditions (e.g. first thing on a Monday morning after using the bathroom when your stomach is empty).

Planning ahead is what helped a lot for me. I bring lunch and snacks to university and work (prepare/pack everything the night before), and have dinner planned for when I get home. There's no way I'm going to waste my calories on junk when I have such deliciousness waiting for me! But if you do find yourself struggling with junk food, look up the nutrition information before you go there. That way, you can see what the better options are and make your decisions based on that. I find logging in what I'm going to eat beforehand a good trick as well.

It is very much a mental battle. You'll find that weight loss isn't always just about losing weight, it's about combating other underlying issues along the way. There will be days where you want to just grab the chocolate biscuits (and some days where you will succumb to that urge). There will be days where the last thing you want to do is exercise and would rather lie on the couch. Everyone is different, so it's hard to say what will be best for you.

Find out what your weaknesses are, and figure out ways to manage them. If you struggle without a support system, find a workout buddy or some other person who can help hold you accountable. If you can't stop eating chips once the packet is open, don't buy them and never go to the supermarket while hungry. Remind yourself of what you want to achieve in the long term, and just keep pushing through.

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou: