Help!!! I'm always so hungry!!!!

Options
Hi Guys, I'm Kristy. Ive got about 10kgs to lose and have done for as long as I can remember. I dont' want to look like a supermodel, just want to be happy in my clothes. I have just come off a month of high protien, low carb eating as it has played havoc with my digestion, I feel like crap and didn't lose any weight! I had success with weight watchers in the past, went back and tried at least 2 more times and nothing. I always seem to throw in the towel because Im so hungry and cant concentrate! Has anyone come up with any hints or tips to keep hunger at bay? Much appreciated!

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just the standard:
    1. If you're hungry, eat. Something with protein. Plain greek yogurt with a little honey for taste and a handful of granola, a hard boiled egg with a slice of wheat toast.
    2. If you're hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, eat. Just remember that sometimes thirst manifests itself with hunger.
    3. Take a look at what you're eating and when you're eating it. Myself, I can't just eat 3 meals- I need to snack in between. So, I try to plan my meals accordingly. Smaller meals with planned snacks. For snacks, go for stuff like in #1.

I've learned I need to pay attention to my body and adjust what I'm doing accordingly. Instead of looking at this as a diet, look at it as a time to learn what works for you food wise and what doesn't. Most of us need to learn how to eat because we never really knew how. Be patient and remember you're a work in progress. Every time you get down, step back and think about what you'd say to your best friend, if your best friend were feeling the way you are at that point in time.

We're in this together and we're in this for the long haul and I know you can do it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating calorie-wise? Height, weight, activity level?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat 8 serving or more of vegetables in a day. Try intermittent fasting. I got to doing that on accident and while I might be hungry once or twice a day it sure beats the I am always hungry all day long thing I dealt with for several decades and didn't lose any weight anyway. How intermittent fasting works is you pick a block of time 15-16-17 hours, I usually go 15 that you don't eat. So that means I eat dinner then I am up for several hours then when I get up if I haven't slept enough I might wait an hour to eat breakfast. I was going to bed hungry a lot, but lately I'm not hungry when I go to bed. It might sound sort of brutal but it really isn't once you get used to it.

But, even if that isn't for you. Eating a lot of vegetables will help a whole lot. I don't usually have veggies with my oatmeal, but I am ok with that oatmeal has a lot of fiber so I'm good. But, I always have at least 3-4 servings of vegetables with my lunch and dinner. I eat vegetables as a snack between meals if I am terribly hungry. Veggies can be in soups, salads, stir fried, made into pasta sauces, a whole lot of things that makes it feel like you aren't even eating a lot of vegetables.
  • skelley331
    skelley331 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just went thru the same thing, always wanted to eat especially at night. I read the book by Julia ross called The diet Cure, it's amazing, i have no cravings, i'm not hungry and i eat 1450 calories a day and still loose 1/2 lbs here and there. It's amazing you should read it. good luck
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I limit my carbs (but not low-carbs). If hungry, first - like the one of the other posters - I drink a glass of water or 2 and wait for 20 mins. In the meantime, I also sometimes (not all the time) brush my teeth - toothpaste taste has a way of over-riding cravings. Sometimes I pop a stick of gum. Many times I eat carrots or celery or broccoli with a touch of dressing - those veggies are NOT favorite foods - but they REALLY fill up the tummy. At the same time I may have a piece of low-fat cheese stick or about 12 almonds since the protein helps slow down the digestion of the veggies (or half piece of fruit that I may eat in their place) and keep me full longer.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, and people can give better advice.
  • kstan79
    kstan79 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice guys, I will definately try the veggie thing. I guess I feel like I eat a meal and I cant wait for the next one if that makes sense? I drink a litre or more of water per day.. I am super hungry at night but I will try to push through and keep it at around 15 hours. My daily intake is set at 1490 per day. I weigh 83 and im aiming for about 72-73 which is a pretty realistic weight. Im five foot 10.

Any ideas on a satisfying breakfast?

Im a bit embarrased to show my diary just yet as ive only just started back on here :(

I really, really appreicate the feedback. Thanks so much! :wink:

p.s - where do I get myself one of those time line thingys you all have??
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll go against the norm here... I've been trying to read articles to motivate myself - helps me kind of power through the hunger. Sometimes when you're losing weight, your body is not used to eating so littlle. I actually just posted about hunger.
  • kstan79
    kstan79 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'll check out your post. Also, I'm loving the greek yoghurt and honey idea.... def gonna try that.
  • jonipaxton
    jonipaxton Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello,

Wow...you were given some great advice on your concern and I'm sure it will help out a great bit!

If you are still hungry in the evening you might try a natural supplement called konjac root it is a great filling fiber that will help you on a couple of fronts! You take it with a full glass of water about 30 min prior to your dinner or meal and it will help fill you up as well as help keep you regular. This is one of the BEST fibers available and it works, I first heard of it on a Dr. Oz show.

If you need a good place to purchase try Vitamin World, they are very reasonable in price & have a quality product!

Warm Regards,
    Joni :flowerforyou:
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat >1700cal per day and still lose weight, allbeit slowly. I am not much shorter than you at 5' 9", but am probably a lot older and also have a lot more to lose.

Still, you could probably increase the calories you're consuming by about 2-300 and have good results. Eat healthy food you love (life's too short to eat sh!te), exercise until it makes you puff and sleep the sleep of the just at night. So sayeth the Frood :glasses:

Edit: to get a ticker, go to the APPS tab, click on tickers and then ...ummm... I think "change the style of your ticker", but you might have to turn them on in settings. Can't remember!
  • autumnb40
    autumnb40 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to eat egg white omelet and turkey bacon or a serving or plain oatmeal (not instant) with 1 package of instant maple & brown sugar (no sugar) oatmeal and some almonds. Along with some fruit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If I keep my carbs lower (under 40%) particularly refined carbs (anything liquid that's sugary, bread, white rice) I am rarely hungry.

That's essentially what happens when you eat lots of protein - it pushes out the carbs.

When I'm hungry anyway, I eat a spoonful of ice cream. It takes good, it's got fat and protein, and it has fewer than 50 calories. Add a few cashews.