MFP CREATES A BETTER YOU?

Options
I thought.. just my opinion.. all opinions welcome.....

I thought an individual would join MFP to gain/lose weight to feel better about oneself.
However the amount of bashing and negativity on forums is unbelievable. I feel shocked when I read nice replies!
However.. how do you expect to feel good and positive when you hand out negatives> (not talking direct here, im sure you are a lovely person).

Too thin. Too much. Too chubby. Not good enough. Not healthy enough, Too much exercise. Too little exercise.
I understand sometimes its the right thing to say but come on.... when dishing out a negative try to give a positive too!

try it.. you'd be surprised on how that can change the view of a comment.. typing feelings is not easy!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Totally agree:flowerforyou:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I think that ones success is because of thier hard work and not a result of the comments of strangers on the Internet.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like nice people. And I like to be nice to people. You're right x :D
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The anonymity of posting in a forum invites people to say (write) things they would never dream of saying in real life. I try to keep it nice by reminding myself: somebody I know IRL might be lurking and recognize me!

No really...I just think that it's best to be supportive or positive or just not contribute to the thread.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think that ones success is because of thier hard work and not a result of the comments of strangers on the Internet.

QFT

And MFP doesn't "create" anything. It's a tool to help you reach your goals. In truth, we are all here for ourselves first and foremost.
  • LaurenEFord
    LaurenEFord Posts: 15
    Options
    Totally agree with the negativity I've seen on the boards. On the other hand, most of my success came without the support from the MFP community's input....
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here we go again ..another "negativity" thread....in for the show...

Oh - I guess it depends on what your definition of negative is. if someone posts a thread that says I am eating 1500 calories a day and i am in starvation mode, then I am going to say "no, you are wrong this is impossible..." And being the wise a$s i am I might throw in something that I find funny from time to time ..so if that is negative then so be it..

Also, a lot of people post the same thing over and over again, or try to ask it in a different way to get a different answer which some people find annoying...

If people are just being blatantly mean that is another thing, but i do not see a lot of that ...then again it is the internet and people can blast off whatever they want in a thread..

I try to provide advice and be helpful...but am probably guilty of dive bombing some threads for fun...

this might end up being one of them :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

QFT

And MFP doesn't "create" anything. It's a tool to help you reach your goals. In truth, we are all here for ourselves first and foremost.

you did not know that MFP is the alpha and the omega of the internet?
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    here we go again ..another "negativity" thread....in for the show...

Oh - I guess it depends on what your definition of negative is. if someone posts a thread that says I am eating 1500 calories a day and i am in starvation mode, then I am going to say "no, you are wrong this is impossible..." And being the wise a$s i am I might throw in something that I find funny from time to time ..so if that is negative then so be it..

Also, a lot of people post the same thing over and over again, or try to ask it in a different way to get a different answer which some people find annoying...

If people are just being blatantly mean that is another thing, but i do not see a lot of that ...then again it is the internet and people can blast off whatever they want in a thread..

I try to provide advice and be helpful...but am probably guilty of dive bombing some threads for fun...

this might end up being one of them :)

in honour of MFP - cheers.
    your amazing please call again. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    if the threads disappoint you so much, then you could always avoid them and just stick to your friend list...

maybe that would be less shocking?
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    if the threads disappoint you so much, then you could always avoid them and just stick to your friend list...

maybe that would be less shocking?

ill be right over there, in that left corner, crying if you need me. :flowerforyou:
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Psh! @ You guys. I think this thread is sweet, but I'm already nice. :)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    MFP made me more of a *kitten* and every time I pass somebody I think to myself "4/10, would not bang." or "7/10 would bang with a bag over their head."
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Psh! @ You guys. I think this thread is sweet, but I'm already nice. :)

as sweet as southern sweet tea? :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MFP made me more of a *kitten* and every time I pass somebody I think to myself "4/10, would not bang." or "7/10 would bang with a bag over their head."

hmmm I think you need help...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, it depends on what you mean by negativity. There are a lot of people on this board that assumes disagreement means attacking or insulting like ndj mentioned. And no matter what board you go on, you will have members would will respond with sarcasm. For the most part, I believe if you use the internet, you should have a thick skin.. there is a lot of messed up crap out there.

But MFP is a tool, the forums are a means to get answer but it's up to you to create a better you. Keep in mind, that weight loss doesn't automatically make someone a better person or give them a better image. I can't tell you how many people I know who are very skinny still think they are fat. Unfortunately, it's hard to fix self esteem.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, OP! The rudeness so often found in the comments is the main reason why I read and interact so little in the forums. It shows the very ugly side of humans ... :/