need help uping my calories

Options
standoug888
standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
I am 233 pounds 6ft 22 yr old male..i am eating between 1300-1600 calories a day do you think I should be eating more? I go to the gym 3 days and take a day break then go back 3 days and take a day break..in those days ill burn roughly 300-600 cals in cardio and then ill strength train all 3 days different muscles everyday I would be in the gym 80-120 minutes a day..if I should be eating more can you give me some options on what to eat ...usully for breakfeast I would eat a packet of quaker oatmeal the weight control ones and mix it with 2/3 cup of almond milk with a banana and drink a cup of almond milk.. for my snack I would eat 200g of strawberries and 138g of red grapes..for lunch I would either go to subway and get a 6g of fat or less sandwitch with baked lays..for a snack I would have 2 hard boild eggs or peanuts..for dinner I would eat either 12oz of chicken brest or 7 oz of salmon..with 2 cups of brocolii and a medium ear corn on the cobb..i still want to eat healthy but up my calories any suggestions?

Replies

• elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i can't hear you over Peanut Butter
  • LaurenEFord
    LaurenEFord Posts: 15
    Options
    Try eating avocados!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Fast and dirty calorie calculation:
    Desired (weight * 11.2) + exercise calories.
    So lets say you want to get to 180 lbs, that would be 2015 calories.
    In the gym for an hour, lets call it 600 calories, for a total of 2615 calories.
    Round it down to 2500 if it makes you feel better.

You are eating at a level that the men in the Minnesota Starvation Experiment were using to starve themselves. Their maintenance calories were 3200, their starvation calories were 1600. They were burning 300 - 600 calories in exercise.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

PS: How did I get 11.2?
    Fast and dirty baseline is Weight * 10 for RMR.
    Sedentary lifestyle is * 1.2, so 11.2
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this problem. I exercise a LOT, and intensely. Yes, you need more.

Scoobyworkshop has a calculator to figure out what you should aim for.

I had to add peanut butter and avocados. I try to stick with 2.5 fruits a day. When I went below two, my performance suffered. Then I try to get at least three veggie servings in every day.

I also upped the protein, but if you are eating 12 oz chicken with dinner, you might be OK there. I added a protein drink after my workouts..I take it to the gym with me.