Ladies with PCOS success stories!

Options
I recently found out I have PCOS and have been told it is 10x harder to lose weight, so I'm wanting to hear some success stories, tips, progress pics or anything! :)

Replies

• twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    hey!! You can add me as a friend, I have PCOS as well!!
  • mdj2011
    mdj2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can add me too, pcos, i am just getting started on my journey.
  • brantleysbaby
    Options
    I have PCOS also...I've only lost about 8lbs since I started (about 3 weeks ago) but there is hope! You can add me also!!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    It might be a little tougher but don't give up! I've lost 10 pounds so far, 90 to go. You can add me if you'd like.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I don't do anything special because of it, although I've been told I'd have an easier time of it if I gave up or at least severely restricted carbs. I might try that, but honestly I've managed OK so far without doing so.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It's true, some women find it harder, but it's not a given! I don't struggle too much.
  • BrittBrat1787
    BrittBrat1787 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and yeah, it's been really hard, but totally possible! I find that I just have to be a lot more careful than the average girl. Especially since I can't really take any meds for it except bc. My symptoms got really bad at one point and I was so frustrated because it felt like nothing I did would make the weight come off. I felt trapped in my own body. To the point that I developed an eating disorder. It took/ has taken A LOT of work to figure out how my body responds to certain foods, but I lost 70lbs so far :) I haven't completely figured it out, I'm not perfect by any means ,but trying hard day by day. Feel free to add me!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    since i cut down carbs to only max 120 g per day and i am on medication i seem to be doing pretty well before that ohh yes it was bad maybe lost 1 lbs a month on a 1500 cal diet. But it also depends on if you have insulin resistent pcos or not witch if you struggle with weight loss you most likely do. I find since i added HIIT to my workouts i lose much better since HIIT can improve insulin sensitivity so your muscles more readily suck in glucose, instead of the glucose going to your fat stores.
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Reading this is a bit discouraging....

I've been diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago and started eating 1500 calories a day for 3 weeks, but haven't really lost that much weight. I read somewhere that PCOS carriers have to be cautious with sugar intake because we might be insulin resistant? This makes me worry about eating a lot of fruit. I tend to eat more fruits than i do veggies
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am here to tell you that it can be done, I had insulin resistant PCOS, I was diagnosed at 14 and I was told that life would give me some challenges. I never worried too much about my weight until I was 20 years old and weight 199.6lbs I couldn't believe I weighed that much!!

I learned quickly that carbs were not my friend. HIIT was a lifesaver along with eating a clean low carb diet and cycling with a ketogenic diet. I got down to 129lbs and looked amazing, I reversed my PCOS and got pregnant(something I was told would never happen)!

Unfortunately my pregnancy through all of my hormones put of whack again and I am struggling, trying to find that determination I once had. I got up to 206lbs during my pregnancy and I. Down to 178 but I still have a long road ahead of me.

I do know that it can be done because I have done it before and will do it again!!!
  • Ruthb1212
    Ruthb1212 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too have PCOS and weight has been an issue since I can remember. Try cutting down on the carbs and talking to your doctor about getting on Metformin. It's hard, but not impossible!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have managed to lose 188 pounds...heres my pics (I obviously still am not at goal...still about another 35-40 pounds to go)

Before:
    1704image2.png

Current:
    295348_10151655367901062_1127589343_n_zpsb14c7493.jpg
  • cinderwolfeh
    Options
    May I ask what PCOS stands for?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It can be much more difficult, but it's not impossible. I have PCOS and am also insulin resistant. Controlling my diet and lifting heavy weights has really turned it around for me. As the weight comes off, my symptoms lessen.
  • sararab
    sararab Posts: 2
    Options
    May I ask what PCOS stands for?

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
    There's lots of information about it online if you'd like to learn more, it's very common :)

I also have it and I have lost 24lb in the past 6 months just from counting calories and doing regular exercise (with a few cheat days). I thought it was impossible too but i'm 14lb from my goal weight and so ready to get there!

(this is my first ever post, how exciting haha. Long time reader though!)
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with mild PCOS in 2004, had my daughter in 2006. It's not as bad as it was, but I still have a few symptoms. I've lost 53 pounds in 16 months. You can add me if you like :-)
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WOW Amazing Kazz!!
  • LeopardPrintedLove
    LeopardPrintedLove Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I am down 20 pounds so far! Don't listen to whoever is telling you it's harder-- that is a lazy mindset of someone who has already given up before they've gotten started! Pay attention to this website-- do as others have done and you will have success! This is the best place to be, I think! You can lose weight, and you will. So wipe away your negative thoughts and get to movin' girl!! Note: For PCOS patients, exercise is just as important as what you eat, so do something, do ANYTHING! Volunteer to do big jobs you wouldn't normally do-- paint a house, run a race, whatever it takes! The gym can be your best friend! So can swimming laps. Whatever you do-- just remember, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. No questions....No if's, no and's, and no but's!
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I follow a very low carb diet ( < 20 g./day) and workout 6 days a week. I strength train for 3 days and run 3 days. I'm down 77 lbs in 10 months. I eat 1200 calories a day. If I eat more then I don't lose. So yes, in that respect I have to work harder than someone without PCOS by keeping my calories low. However, when I'm in ketosis, hunger doesn't enter the picture and I'm fine with eating that amount of calories.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I started my journey in March 2012 and have lost about 135 pounds. I know everyone's bodies are different. I have tried different programs for years and nothing worked. I have also struggled with hypothyroidism and PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). Finally, I just did it on my own and changed my diet and am learning more and more about exercise and it seems to be working. Just one day at a time. I just always pray it continues to keep working and I can keep it off. Feel free to add me if you want, anyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!