what to do about eating too much

Options
okay, so I've done all the right things. add more protein, more whole wheat. I don't log in everyday but the days I don't i'm still eating the same. water intake is at least 8 glasses per day. I eat and eat, cant stop. help!:cry:

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    For me it was purely mental and I had to beat this bad habit. Why dont you try just reducing the amount you eat and see how you feel afterwards?

I tried by eating my main meals on a side plate size took me three nights to adjust but it worked for me and I felt full dont get me wrong, I have days where I will eat more than my portion allowance but its an improvement. Old habits die hard
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging might help too. Create new habits. :smile:
  • daniellevillano46
    daniellevillano46 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree! Pre-logging has definitely helped me put into perspective what I'm going to be eating. Makes me think twice about grabbing another snack sometimes.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot of fruits and veggies and not have a ton of calories. Eat slowly, keep busy. If you are a nibbler, find low calorie things that you can eat slowly. A 100 calorie bag of pop corn can last a long time, if you eat the kernels 1 or 2 at a time instead of a whole handful. Also, make sure to check your TDEE. Maybe, you are eating too few calories and your body is trying to warn you.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options

This is so true. I used to just log my food as I ate it and hoped by the end of the day my numbers were okay. Then I started planning my foods and logging them in the morning. My numbers would be good, and it would motivate me more to stay within my daily food plan. I stray occasionally, but for the most part I stick to what I have planned for the day and it's been great. Also, don't stress yourself. Stress just causes frustration and may even cause you to throw in the towel. You can do this. It's not always going to be easy, but it will always be worth it. :)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    While pre-logging can definitely help, OP states she skips log days - so that wouldn't do much. How to stop eating too much? Well, you just stop...eating....too much.... yeah. /awkward
  • Onmyway39
    Onmyway39 Posts: 10
    Options
    eating is good if your exercising and if you are eating healthy
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You must journal everyday. If you bite it, must write it.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like to eat, too. A lot. So, I exercise. A lot. It's the only way I can do it. LOL.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Automate two of your meals and snacks to be healthy and low calorie and filled with low cal vegetables..then save the majority of your calories for your favorite meal of the day.

It is what I'm trying to do is automate breakfast and lunch... so I get to the evening with a lot of calories and won't blow it for the day.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Fill up on veggies... You can eat a lot and they're low in calories, they won't hurt your efforts :smile:
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How frequently are you eating? I eat 5 times a day...at least!! It keeps your metabolism going all day and keeps your blood sugars from dropping and the desire for a heavy amount t each meal.

Also, pair complex carbs with protein at each meal.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I pre log and drink 24 ounces of water before I even touch my meal. So I am not digging right in. Before I would sit down and slam my food down like I was never going to eat again. Now I take 10 minutes to come on MFP and log it then drink my water and then go into my meal slow and easy and feel full faster as well :)
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pre Logging is the way to go. Log your food, have something which you like to eat if it fits in your macros, that way you will look forward to that meal and for me that is enough motivation preventing me from eating junk snacks . Drink iced tea, iced coffee any zero calorie drinks. I am a big eater I have lost and continue to maintain eating 3 large meals a day which keeps me satiated rather than eating small meals which always keep me wanting for more which leads to overeating later in the day. Check out leangains style eating program. It rocks
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't push any type of meal frequency on anyone but I too eat a lot (in a sitting) so I do Leangains style intermittent fasting. Fast for 16 hrs a day, only eat for 8. (loosely now that I've done it for ages) Just an option.
  • RainAnnSkye
    Options
    Actually notice when you are eating, and take a step back and think, " Are you really Hungry?" If you are try to eat something the same size as your fist, and eat slow, savoring each bite. My trick is if im eating desert, i eat it with a fancy spoon, It has ridges on the inside of the spoon so i can feel it ever time i take a bite, and it reminds me to eat slow. Also Puting your fork or spoon down after each bite.

Lastly If you have been working out or doing cardio for a bit before eating will make you rethink how much you eat, also calculating how much cardio it would take to burn off what your eating will also make you think about what you put into your mouth :)
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    I love all of the advice. OP, thanks for asking the question.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. It curbs your hunger. I bought a 32 oz. sport bottle, fill it with filtered water and lemon slices, and know I have to drink two of those a day.

I agree with the other posts, especially fill up on vegetables like broccoli that are low calorie and will make you feel full.

Substitute brown rice for bread. Try to eliminate sugar as much as you can because it makes you hungry.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's also my habit to eat more than my body uses in one day.

I cope by spreading out 5 - 7 small mini meals per day, comprised of a protein source and a carb source. I also go for foods high in volume, rather than calories.
  • loren_jaylon
    loren_jaylon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me it was purely mental and I had to beat this bad habit. Why dont you try just reducing the amount you eat and see how you feel afterwards?

I tried by eating my main meals on a side plate size took me three nights to adjust but it worked for me and I felt full dont get me wrong, I have days where I will eat more than my portion allowance but its an improvement. Old habits die hard