is it possible to lose 80lbs

Options
Is it possible to lose 80lbs in 7 months without really changing unhealthy eating habits?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Doubt it for you, that's more than 10lbs a month. As you lose weight it will slow down. Plus you don't want to change your eating habits.

Keep in mind, no one is asking you to eat rabbit food, or starve yourself. Just eat what you normally eat, but just a little bit less. Don't make it complicated. Let the results come.
    best advice you'll get here. The OP may as well just say thanks and not even worry with coming back to the thread.
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes. Will it be easy? No. Is it recommended? No.

To lose 80 lbs in 7 months you will need to lose about 2.75 lbs a week. It is recommended that you lose no more than 2 lbs a week for safe, healthy weight loss. Can you do it without changing unhealthy eating habits? Technically, yes. All you have to do is have enough of a calorie deficit and you'll lose the desired weight no matter what you're eating.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You can cut off your leg I guess.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Must have been sarcasm.....right?
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO MAKE CHANGES TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Shocking, I know.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose 80lbs in 7 months without really changing unhealthy eating habits?

AmericanPsycho-Laughter.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD3EE-Gxjs1CE6ixT7VINZWRJM1i74l226gWBBW-mzNChSksTUjQ
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO MAKE CHANGES TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Shocking, I know.

WHAT?!? Nobody told me that when I signed on. Ugh! forget this:grumble:
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Some people keep their food diaries open (I do) so everyone can see what they eat. You should check them out. You would be surprised how you can change a few things and still eat the things you love in moderation. I just began eating more veggies and protein and cut back other foods some, and it has worked for me. Calorie intake has a lot to do with it.
  • adietz12
    adietz12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't rush it. If you lose more than 2lbs a week you will end up with a lot of loose skin and you want to minimize that. I know it is hard not to be in a rush but make small, measurable, goals and you will get where you want to go. Otherwise it is overwhelming. Good luck!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options

You could chop off a few limbs..... :laugh:

I think you already know the answer to this question. It's like asking "can I get out of debt while keeping bad spending habits and not saving?"

The answer to your question is irrelevant, because if you keep the behaviors that results in 80 lbs in the first place, then even if you DO lose that in 7 months you will probably just regain it and more in the 3 months after that.
  • iwantmylifeback2
    iwantmylifeback2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just lost thirty pounds and I have over 100 pounds to lose. Someone told me the best way to eat a elephant is one bite at a time. I just told someone today that I have decided that this weight loss journey will take one day at a time and it may not come off quickly but that's ok because this is a life style change for me and not a diet anymore. Just start one day at a time. I hope that helped! be encouraged!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This may seem like an obvious answer but sometimes the simplest truths are stumbling blocks to us.. In order to get different results from what we have received in the past, we have to change SOMETHING... If we have gotten overweight by eating more calories than we have taken in, we HAVE TO CHANGE SOMETHING... It may be more exercise... It may be eating less... But something must change whether we want to lose 80 lbs in 7 months or 7 years...
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options

To lose 80 lbs in 7 months you will need to lose about 2.75 lbs a week. It is recommended that you lose no more than 2 lbs a week for safe, healthy weight loss. Can you do it without changing unhealthy eating habits? Technically, yes. All you have to do is have enough of a calorie deficit and you'll lose the desired weight no matter what you're eating.
    actually someone whose very heavy can lose more than 2 pounds a week, without it being a problem.....
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Doubt it for you, that's more than 10lbs a month. As you lose weight it will slow down. Plus you don't want to change your eating habits.

Keep in mind, no one is asking you to eat rabbit food, or starve yourself. Just eat what you normally eat, but just a little bit less. Don't make it complicated. Let the results come.
    best advice you'll get here. The OP may as well just say thanks and not even worry with coming back to the thread.
    Best advise I have seen yet!! To want something bad enough, you have to be willing to invest in it. Are you not willing to invest in yourself? You only have one you!!
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options

You could chop off a few limbs..... :laugh:

I think you already know the answer to this question. It's like asking "can I get out of debt while keeping bad spending habits and not saving?"

The answer to your question is irrelevant, because if you keep the behaviors that results in 80 lbs in the first place, then even if you DO lose that in 7 months you will probably just regain it and more in the 3 months after that.
    Great answer also!!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Something will have to change.

Move more.

Lift weights.

Mind you, you're looking pretty good already !

Who set the constraints of:
    (1) How quickly ?
    (2) How much ?
    (3) Continuing to make poor food choices ?

I won't give up on just that - you are welcome to send me a friend request with a note

Cheers
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options

actually someone whose very heavy can lose more than 2 pounds a week, without it being a problem.....

That's true, but if they only have 80 lbs to lose than they really should only lose over two lbs a week for less than half of that time. In order to lose it all within 7 months that would mean they would have to lose significantly more than 2 lbs consistently during the first half of the losing phase in order to lose less than two pounds a week during the second half in order to make their goal.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

if you're exercising like that swimmer who swims all day and eats thousands of calories of junk food, then yes

though from personal experience of when I used to play ice hockey, when I would train several times a week plus play games at the weekend and eat lots of junk............. i was still chubby, albeit extremely fit and strong under the chub. You can't outtrain a bad diet. I'm currently probably just as strong but 10lb lighter than i was then, with the same lean body mass

someone may lose that amount by simply eating a lot less junk food, though it's unlikely they'll feel full/satisfied on this diet, and you could say that eating less junk food is quite a big change in an unhealthy eating habit, which does not meet your criteria

If you're talking about someone else who appears to have done this, I'd suggest that they changed a lot more of their eating and exercise habits than they're letting on

if you're talking about you then all the above advice about making sustainable changes that involve doing more exercise and eating less apply. this does not mean you have to give up junk food, just follow the 80% rule, i.e. if 80% of what you eat is good, healthy food, then the other 20% can be what you want..... but this only works with portion control, because you still need to eat less than you burn off to lose weight. So track your calories on here, aim to get enough protein and 80% of your fat and carbs from healthy sources, and with the remaining calories, eat whatever junk food you fancy, without going over your calories. Exercise, and eat back exercise calories (which will give you more calories for any foods you really don't want to give up). So basically, yes you do have to make significant changes, but you don't need to become a food puritan who never touches any junk food either.