Anyone ever done a long charity walk?? Do you really need to

sheyna1983
sheyna1983 Posts: 137
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
On August 14th I am participating in the Shopper's Drug Mart Weekend to End Women's Cancers. It's my first attempt at fundraising and I raised $1350....I'm so happy!! The walk is 35 km in one day. People keep telling me they're training and asking me if I am and I just shrug it off and say "c'mon....it's just walking!"

Well, the day is getting closer and 35km is sounding longer to me.....maybe I was wrong about not needing to train...have any of you ever done this type of a walk? How did you train??

:heart:

Replies

• I am doing Autism Speaks soon, have not done a long charity walk since the March of Dimes in High School, should be interesting, good luck!
  • I walked in the Breast Cancer 3 Day (60 miles over 3 days) and I definitely trained for that. Not everyone on my team did, but I can tell you that the girls that didn't train were definitely in pain by the third day - lots of blisters and injuries. You might be okay if it's just one day though, and if you're already walking a decent amount as part of your regular exercise routine. Good luck and congrats for participating in such a great cause!
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    First I wanted to say...Good for you for doing the walk!

Second...there's nothing wrong with training. 35km is a LONG distance. Ive done charity walks in the past - AIDS walks, Terry Fox, CIBC Run for the Cure [they allow walkers]. I think it's important to prepare your body for something like that. I know I normally dont walk 35kms in a day.

As for training...I'd map out the distance of the walk and do that every day or every other day depening on the distance [Ikm, 5km, 10km, etc...]. I wanted to make sure I had the endurance to make it across the finish line.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Walking does not sound hard, but doing a walk that long is. Most people train by doing the activity daily to build up stamina. A walk that long is about 7-8 hours so it is a good idea to get out there and build up the caluses on those feet otherwise they will howl at you that day (tip-bring additional pairs of very soft socks to change periodically throughout the day as that will help a lot too).
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Extra socks....good idea!
This discussion has been closed.