slowly going crazy !

Options
Hi everyone

I need some help and advice on what i am doing wrong........I started an exercise programme just over 5 weeks ago, ive also logged on here everyday and counted calories, but i am now heavier than i was when i originally started !
I feel i am looking better , my clothes are fitting better and i put more thought into what i am eating now trying to make better choices, of course i am falling off the wagon every so often but im good more often than not........My exercise programme consists of an hour of cardio 3 times a week plus strength training each time i am at the gym for 30 minutes......I need some advice as i am obviously doing something wrong but feel like im hitting my head off a brick wall.....I dont understand the whole calorie thing, should i go over my calorie intake for the day or not , should i not be doing weights atall should i just do cardio, im just so confused :(

Any advice greatly appreciated !
Michelle

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better, then you are making progress - and the best kind in my opinion. You can show a loss on the scale without feeling any better in your clothes, but it sounds like you're losing inches even if the scale isn't changing. It's a good idea to take measurements along the way in addition to weighing.

Hang in there - you're only about a month into it, and your body is probably still adjusting to new exercise and a new calorie intake. Keep at it and you'll be buying new clothes soon. :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First of all, you certainly have a thin face. You are exercising and losing inches. Do you need to lose weight? Or do you really just need to build muscle (which can make you gain weight) so you look better?

If you have little fat to lose, you won't lose weight but you will get slimmer.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better, then you are making progress - and the best kind in my opinion. You can show a loss on the scale without feeling any better in your clothes, but it sounds like you're losing inches even if the scale isn't changing. It's a good idea to take measurements along the way in addition to weighing.

Hang in there - you're only about a month into it, and your body is probably still adjusting to new exercise and a new calorie intake. Keep at it and you'll be buying new clothes soon. :smile:

I totally agree

sounds like you are building muscle and a healthy lifestyle, I personal don't think you are doing anything wrong, keep doing what you are do and the scale will move in time

I do weights 4 to 6 days a week plus cardo, and have build muscles also, me I know worry, as I can fit into my size 14 (NZ) jeans :)

good on you for changing your lifestyle and becoming healthy and looking after your body

anyone can add me
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    yeah... the exercise is making you gain weight..even though you are getting smaller. I suggest stay off the scale and keep working out...you can't argue with clothes getting loose and looking smaller. It is a mind game. insane.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    More muscle, less fat. Your clothes fit better, you are fitter, you're eating properly - all good. You've probably gained some lean muscle weight as a result of the strength training. Go by how you look in the mirror and how your clothes fit.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. Just keep going. The scale can be very deceiving, so keep that in mind. Sometimes I'll step on the scale and see that I've gained some weight, BUT, I don't worry too much because as long as I'm losing inches, I know I'm heading toward the right direction.

The inches will come off, and the weight will follow. And I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, I would rather be fit and lean than focus on being a number.

So don't give up! Just keep doing what you're doing! :)
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For me, time of day I choose to weigh makes a big difference. You need to be sure to weigh the same time of the day each day however often you are weighing yourself. I have discovered I need to weigh between 2:00 PM and 3:30 PM (even after lunch) and the difference can be up to 5 or 6 lbs.
    Good luck and read the other advice people have posted. It is all good advice.
  • michellebutler73345
    michellebutler73345 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brilliant advice everyone, thanks for all your support and encouraging words.....I am going to keep on doing what i have been doing as you all say it seems good. Im glad im not doing the exercise part wrong , im really enjoying working out now, for the first time ever.....I will start to take measurements and stay off the scale for a bit :)
    Thanks everyone !