Starting P90XAugust 16th! Any words of advice? :)

Options
I am 2 weeks away from finishing 30 Day Shred - and then I'm starting P90X!!!! Excited? YES! Nervous? YES!!!
I've read tips and advice on other posts.......what I want to know is -
If there is ONE thing I should know about beginning P90X it is.........................

Replies

• sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    You're gonna develop hatred for that guy in the videos probably unlike any hatred you've ever felt in your life!!

(Thank god I have a big screen TV and his face was eye level with mine and I could simulate punching him in the face during every workout - made me feel better)

GOOD LUCK!! :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My advise would be to push yourself even if you can't finish the workouts at first you will be able to in no time as long as you keep pushing yourself.
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just borrowed thew from my friend and am doing the ABS tonight, Good Luck
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The one thing you should know is that the fear is not necessary.

It's a great workout and you'll survive! Good luck!
  • michelle29714
    Options
    I start P90X on August 16th as well! Currently I am working out to Biggest Loser Cardio max and Sculpting. We should keep in touch and definatly take before pics! Good Luck!

P.S. My sister has done 2 weeks already and has lost 5 lbs and has Abs! She was so excited she called me! and she had alot more weight to lost then me so I was more then excited to start
  • pdreino
    pdreino Posts: 6
    Options
    Been doing P90X for three years, it's awesome. I did the entire program all the way through twice, now just do whatever workout I want from the program. It will get boring eventually, but not your first time through. I never followed the nutrition plan, which I think would have helped immensely. I hate the YogaX workout, but do it! It's really good for you.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My buddy, Lee Lichlyter, posted this on a P90X Facebook page earlier this year. It's all SO true.

1. Success in this program is 70% mental, 60% nutritional, and 40% exercise. Yeah, I know, it doesn’t add up. But you get the point.

2. Discipline is required in all three elements – mental discipline, nutritional discipline, physical discipline. Sometime during the 90 days (heck on day 1), you WILL be challenged or tempted to skip/cheat/take it easy. Having clarity about WHY you are doing this program gets you through those temptations.

3. The WHY is critical…it’s the 70%. Getting a theme here?

4. You are capable of far more than what you believe you are. There is a phrase I love: “What the mind can conceive and believe, the body can achieve”. You will have opportunities to break through your mental and PERCEIVED physical barriers and take your body to new heights. And when you do, you will feel incredible accomplishment.

5. The two phrases “Just Push Play” and “Do Your Best and Forget the Rest” are simple but POWERFUL. Just Push Play – the whole thing is that all you need to do everyday is hit the play button. Then if you do that, half the battle is done, you’ll start working out. Do Your Best – if you give that, even if you don’t measure up to what you want, you WILL get better, week in and week out.

6. Gains come from being relentless, over time. Be the Energizer Bunny – keep going and going – and you will get stronger, more flexible, and leaner.

7. Plyometrics will cause you to curse, even if you’re an angel

8. Tracking your nutrition – either via portions, or even better, on a free site like www.myfitnesspal – is incredibly valuable. You learn a lot and precision is everything. Track it for one week and you’ll be amazed what you learn.

9. The Ab Ripper Routine is at the end of each resistance DVD. No need to switch DVDs to do ARX. Took me about 4 weeks to figure that out!

10. Yoga isn’t for sissies. You’ll sweat like you’re doing stairs in a furnace room.

11. Yoga will expose your weaknesses. And because of that, most people don’t like it. But if you embrace that and explore the weaknesses, it’ll pay big dividends. Don’t skip it, don’t swap it. Just give it a chance.

12. There’s a good possibility you’re going to become an X-hole. What’s an X-hole? It’s a person who is so fired up about their new found love of fitness and health, they talk about it to anyone who’ll listen. Basically an overzealous evangelist. Knowing this is your problem will help you to only be an occasional X-hole.

13. You should start saving now for your new wardrobe. Unless you like the look of wearing your parent’s too-large-for-you clothes.

14. The P90X recovery drink is addicting. It’s a sweet reward for working hard during your workouts. If you can afford one supplement, this is the one.

15. In a few weeks, you’re going to start pausing in front of reflective materials to flex and admire your changing body. Yes, it’s vanity. And it’s okay.

16. When you hit your first recovery week, you’re actually going to feel guilty your not doing resistance training. I know, sounds unlikely. But you will feel like you’re slacking. Then you’ll do Core Synergistics and forget about all that.

17. Positive feedback is essential in motivation. Your best source for feedback is in the numbers. Take the fitness test. Do the measurements. Track your workouts in the forms. You’ll watch them change – weekly for workouts, monthly for your measurements – and that will make you realize you are transforming your body.

18. The scale may not tell the results. Go read #17 again. Just do it.

19. Accountability comes from you. Support, encouragement, and knowledge will come from this board.

20. It’s liberating to post your before pictures. NO ONE likes theirs. But it’s like coming out of the closet. Once you’re out – you might as well accept it and do something about it.

21. You’re going to hate someone called Fifer. You’ll soon understand.

22. Habits are….well, habitual. You’ll have to break some habits from your pre-P90X life. But you’ll replace them with new, good habits – things like working out and eating clean. And those will become habitual – where you WANT to do them, not HAVE to do them.

23. You’re going to be sore. Can’t brush your teeth or lift a cup to your mouth kind of sore. But that will go away. Well, it comes back, but that’s how you know you're confusing your muscles. Think of it as a badge of honor.

24. Tony Horton is a funny guy. Sometimes cheesy or silly, but laughing while working out is a good thing.

25. In 90 days, you’re going to wonder why you didn’t do this sooner.
  • pdreino
    pdreino Posts: 6
    Options
    Awesome Post! I especially like #21! I still can't do 25 of those damned scissors.....
  • susanleasings
    susanleasings Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You guys have me even more excited to start!!!! Thank you for some great advice!
    YOU ROCK!!!!!
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Love the post glfprncs2! I started P90X on Monday and am crazy sore, but it's a good sore!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Awesome Post! I especially like #21! I still can't do 25 of those damned scissors.....
    Me too. That one literally made me LOL! :laugh:
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    On Day 14 here and there are still some things I cannot do yet (dang Mason Twists) so don't get discouraged. Yes you will be sore but it is a good sore. It reminds you that you did a great workout! Keep it up everyday and the stretching and workouts will help the soreness go away. Listen to the tips of the day and do them. Do what you can at first and then increase it as you can. Your body will allow you to push yourself every time! Best of luck and just hit play!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    And speaking of the dreaded "fifer"....take your shoes off to do Ab Ripper X & on Legs&Back day do AB Ripper 1st!!

(I for sure became an "X-hole" while doing my 1st round! That was a great post!)
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    And speaking of the dreaded "fifer"....take your shoes off to do Ab Ripper X & on Legs&Back day do AB Ripper 1st!!

I definitely agree on the shoes! Last night I started week 2 of round 1. I did it without shoes and it was so much better. I have found, even in the last week, all the ab exercises tend to get a little bit easier. I still can't do them the toughest way and find that I modify them, but I already see improvement. It's amazing!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Great post. I believe the nutrition plan is the most important part - at least for the visible results. I'm just finishing phase 2 but unfortunately didn't start taking the nutrition plan seriously until about the end of phase 1. I am much stronger than I was before, but I think my visible results would've been much better had I gone through the 'fat shredder' properly. If you don't follow the nutrition plan you'll get plenty strong and feel good but without a real sculpted look. Try to follow it as closely as your circumstances will allow.