New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, Questions

Options
I just got the book and I am stoked to get started, I've spent the last hours reading up to the recipe section but I am a little concerned because they stress using the meal plan along with the exercise regimen however it is no where near clean (slim fast?! yikes) or very pescetarian friendly(lots and lots of meats not very much fish).

Is anyone successfully completing the workouts without using the diet plan? I was thinking of just following the guidelines for macros and such but not the specific foods. Any recommendations?

Replies

• tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's fine. Hit those macros. Lift heavy weights and get plenty of food/sleep.
  • vaangoin1
    vaangoin1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think we should try Yoga for fitness. Surya Namaskar is the best yoga.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yeahh... That's too bad. They need to stick to general guidelines when they get to the "diet composition" part of the book. They don't give a thought to vegitarians, pescatarians (like yourself) vegans, or anyone else who abstains from certain foods for one reason or another.

Why can't they just say "xx grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, xxg of fat, xx carbs" as a general guideline?

What's the weight training section like?
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second workout and it only took me 15 minutes. Is that normal? What did I miss? I definitely feel wobbly from moving heavy weights.

I haven't bothered reading the nutrition section yet. Personally, I think my food choices are pretty great unless I eat too many sweets. I'm usually over on fat because of avocados and peanut butter. However, I'm not gonna worry it about since I've seen so much improvement by cutting back refined sugar.

Thoughts?
  • MaestraM
    MaestraM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using the workouts without the diet and I've definitely seen a change in body composition - much more definition in arms and legs, and clothes fit differently and better. I did add a bit of protein after each lifting session, but other than that, did my own thing diet-wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personally, I pay little attention to the meal plans for these routines. Just do the workout...it's a good one. It's not a diet book. I just finished 8 months of Starting Strength which tells skinny guys to drink a gallon of milk per day. Personally, I think that's just plain lazy and there are better ways to maximize your calories and nutrition.

Keep in mind that a lot of the people that right these books are very knowledgable when it comes to fitness, but not necessarily nutrition. They also tend to look at food purely as fuel rather than something to sit down and enjoy or whatever. Just get your macro goals and carry on...make sure you'e getting adequate protein.