Rapid Weight Loss Question

Options
CG419
CG419 Posts: 35 Member
I've lost 29lbs in the last 6 weeks (nearly 5lbs lost per week). While I know thats pretty fast seeing that doctors and weight loss tools such as the goal keeper on here recommends only 2lbs lost per week at max. But I'm in much better shape, Not starved, or anything negative. But my question is if i continue what I'm doing now if i feel great or should slow down to avoid any potential damage to my health?

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    All i know is, the heavier you are, the faster you'll lose the weight, At one point, you'll be slowing down. As long as you're feeling good, keep going I guess.

In any case of uneasiness go see a doctor or slow down
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    you generally lose weight faster if you are bigger or have increased your exercise a lot. It should slow down soon. I lost 5 lbs for the first 3 weeks, but now I average 2 lbs a week. Congrats on theweight loss!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the ride while it lasts. It WILL slow down to a stop eventually. You will not waste away to nothing if you're eating healthy.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    What they all said.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ditto
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments, as long as you're doing it in a healthy way and NOT dieting but eating smarter, your doing great.
  • CG419
    Options
    Appreciate the advice you guys...
  • vaangoin1
    vaangoin1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thats great. I like to suggest you Surya Namaskar yoga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlsk0NsecnM .
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think most are on the mark here. Plus alot of initial weight loss is water, and even alot of weight loss in secondary stages is still alot of water. Cause no matter how you cut it, a lb of fat loss is 3500 calories or so. NO trainer with a brain that's not trying to be on a tv show, will EVER tell you to run more of a true deficit of 1000 a day, barring disease or professional weigh in. That would eventually be 2 lbs a week of pure fat loss. My newest client lost 5 lbs since last Wednesday. We don't know what your stats are at least I didn't see them, and what your protocol is. A severe caloric restriction is something to stay away from.

The biggest mistake, and part of why mfp and those in the know suggest slower weight loss, is because if your deficit is too large you will eventually, more than likely, reach a point where you will have to increase exercise and/or decrease calories further. This will put you in a place where your net caloric intake is so low, in order to make a deficit, that you will be taking in less and less calories and nutrition which will stunt your metabolism, shunt and down regulate important metabolic hormones including thyroid functions. In affect, your metabolism slows down, as it should, and you will be primed to store any excess that much faster. We are marketed to to prefer the fastest weight loss possible and that is why so many of us eventually gain our weight back. Now we've found great tools and sites to track our intakes, and it just makes us more ocd about under eating and over exercising because now we can see it right in front of us! So now I can cut my calories even more and under eat daily! But alas, less is more. And as I've stated ad nauseum: The intake goal is a goal. not a limbo stick. Avoid under eating and over exercising like the plague.

So don't make the above mistakes. And it is my opinion that one should run a nice caloric surplus at least every 2 weeks barring disease or malfunction or severe obesity. This helps keep said hormones in a more favorable "im not lost in the woods chasing deer and being chased by bears " mode.
  • CG419
    Options
    ^^^^ Appreciate the advice, just wanted to make sure I'm not doing too much too quick