50s Costume help! (Pics)

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
Hi all.

I need to rustle up a 50s costume for a party. I have two things I could do with what I have.

BDC46F62-5DE7-458A-B215-5F793DE38352-195-0000001C0AE1A9B7_zps0cf3027a.jpg

Housewife (tea dresses were not made for women with lats. This was not fun to get on.

9CC6D3CD-B22C-43B3-8FB7-AC8B3284A3C4-195-0000001BFD277ABF_zps83d085e2.jpg

Poor mans pin up

I quite like both of them but each have their issues. As I said the tea dress is quite hard to get into and id be a little worries about splitting a seam or something, and while I like the pin up girl look I hate the idea of attending a costume party as an excuse to just dress up as 'Slutty (insert noun)

Thoughts anyone? Maybe other costume suggestions? If I do chose one if the above I will accessorise. Maybe a bandana for the pin up girl and a martini/no sense of female equality for the housewife. Help a girl out peeps!

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Do the Pin Up thing, but accessorise with Roller Boots, a tray and a Milkshake.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    If you waned an alternative idea though Attack of the 50ft Woman was a 1950's B Movie Classic.
    You'd just need to get your hands on some G.I. JOe style action figures to be normal sized people around you.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    If you waned an alternative idea though Attack of the 50ft Woman was a 1950's B Movie Classic.
    You'd just need to get your hands on some G.I. JOe style action figures to be normal sized people around you.

I freakin love that idea
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pin up. or you could do a poodle skirt, sweater cheer leader. that's my knowledge of the 50''s lol. either way, you look great
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I love the pin up look, and you don't look slutty at all.. A nice red bandana with your hair in a bun would look great :)
  • xtaljd
    xtaljd Posts: 17
    Options
    I like the pin up. Cute! I agree with Georgi, though. A red bandana will really set it off.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options

awesome
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Do the pin up rockabilly look with proper hairdo and all, love the rollerskates idea too!!
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know you feel uncomfortable in the dress but you look amazing in it.

I've decided I have a girl crush on you :tongue:
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    the shirt in the second one could work, but with a long skirt : ) and the first one is good too. anything that you have that is more conservative would be good and if you have a ribbon to tie in your hair (ponytail) that would be cute too. a 50's party sounds like so much fun, i hope you have a good time! : )
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I know you feel uncomfortable in the dress but you look amazing in it.

I've decided I have a girl crush on you :tongue:

Naw shucks
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Do the pin up rockabilly look with proper hairdo and all, love the rollerskates idea too!!

I actually own some red and white rollerskates, I'm dangerous in them though
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sorry... but don't see the 50's there.... :ohwell:

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/clothes-ads-1950s

http://www.oldsoulretro.com/

And so on....

BTW Marilyn Monroe is a 50's Diva also... check her pics.
  • upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like them both, but leaning towards the pin-up girl, and yeah, Big Dougie's ideas are fantabulous! :happy:
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm down with the pin up idea, you don't look slutty, just hot :wink:
    I think a ponytail with a ribbon and some bright red lipstick would add just that right touch of 50's nostalgia.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think the "Attack of the 50 foot Woman" would be fantastic, with the pin-up girl running a close second.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You are adorable and will rock either one. I like the second one and someone mentioned red bandana, which would give it a Rosie the Riveter flair. In my profile pic, I am "Susie" and when people would say "Oh, Susie Homemaker?, where appropriate I would correct them "No, Susie Homewrecker". Got a good laugh. Have fun!!