Sugar Target Help

Options
I'm wondering if anyone would know why the sugar target seems so low?

I realize it makes sense to limit refined sugars, but with the target that MFP sets, I can barely have a glass of milk and a few fruits in a day?

I thought natural occurring sugars were okay within reason, and say 2 glasses of milk, an apple and a banana in a day seems healthy, but this already seems to put me in the red.

Replies

• justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ya, it's hard to manage sugar intake: I've heard that the average female should average about 24g to 35g of sugar a day, and for males 34g to 45g. Keep in mind that 4g of sugar = 1 tsp of sugar (to help you put that into perspective). Don't worry about counting the sugars in fruits, veggies, or other natural-occurring sugars. Read the short link below for more info.

http://www.peertrainer.com/nutrition/how-much-sugar-should-you-have.aspx
  • innerninja3035
    innerninja3035 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ya, it's hard to manage sugar intake: I've heard that the average female should average about 24g to 35g of sugar a day, and for males 34g to 45g. Keep in mind that 4g of sugar = 1 tsp of sugar (to help you put that into perspective). Don't worry about counting the sugars in fruits, veggies, or other natural-occurring sugars. Read the short link below for more info.

http://www.peertrainer.com/nutrition/how-much-sugar-should-you-have.aspx

Thanks for the insights and link. I'm still surprised at how much sugar is in milk and fruit, but will keep reminding myself how nutritious these foods are, and basically cut the refined sugars, like sugar in my tea. I guess honey counts as refined sugar too.

The article was great, and confirmed the numbers that MFP has as guidelines for sugar. I'm quite surprised at how low it is, and maybe this goes to show how much sugar can be in the standard type diet.
  • doublew98
    doublew98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think the target levels set by MFP are misleading. I think that the targets are for refined sugars but MFP counts all sugar (even naturally occurring in fruit etc). So it always looks like you are going over your target.

According to UK Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs), women should aim for no more than 90g of sugar a day and men no more than 120g.
  • moondreamcatcher07
    Options
    Glad to read these posts as i just logged in some mediterranian veg to roast and it to 12 on the sugar scale and its just veg I did wonder about counting naturally occuring sugars in fruit and veg. Good luck everybody xx
  • ChristinaK69
    ChristinaK69 Posts: 249
    Options
    I ignore those numbers...I just try to avoid the table sugars and hidden sugars in processed foods