TGIs UK - What to eat?

Options
Hey,

I'm going to TGIs (UK) tonight with a group of people and would like to know what the healthiest option is? I've looked at their salads and they seem pretty fatty as salads go so I thought maybe the Chicken Fajita without the tortillas?

I've specified the UK and the US menu is totally different :D

Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• Zoemarie89
    Zoemarie89 Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't want to be "that person", but I honestly think TGI's is just a place where you eat a lot of calories.... Honestly, you're better doing some cardio/weights etc before (and maybe after!) your meal, to try and burn it off... Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for! But really, what is the point of going to TGI's if you can't have the absolutely epic Jack Daniels Chicken burger?! :)
  • fionahay
    fionahay Posts: 44
    Options
    I always have the crispy noodle salad with prawns - no dressing. No idea on the calories, but I love it and means I still enjoy myself while having a meal with friends.

If you had the fajitas, would you really have the self control to not eat the tortilla's? I don't think I could, I think hunger would take over haha!

I think you should just exercise more that week, maybe eat 100 cals less per day on the run-up to your meal, so then you have more calories to play with and can just enjoy yourself and not worry :)

Edited: Just read you're going tonight - just exercise more today and tomorrow, maybe eat less for the rest of the week to stay with your weekly calorie allowance :)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    TGI doesn't do healthy. Just have a night off, you need one occasionally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be "that person", but I honestly think TGI's is just a place where you eat a lot of calories.... Honestly, you're better doing some cardio/weights etc before (and maybe after!) your meal, to try and burn it off... Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for! But really, what is the point of going to TGI's if you can't have the absolutely epic Jack Daniels Chicken burger?! :)

i would have to agree!!!

however if you want to be 'good' then salad (dressing on the side), or steak/salmon/chicken with jacket potato and sidde salad would be ok!
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    Yep, either enjoy yourself and have a night with your friends without counting the calories. Exercise to make it up if you prefer.

Otherwise, I'd go for a steak with a side salad, no dressing. Simple! x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    TGI doesn't do healthy. Just have a night off, you need one occasionally.

That couldn't be further from the truth.. With modifications, you can make things healthy anywhere.

To OP:
    When I go(in the US mind you) I get:
    A 6 oz sirlon steak
    Mashed Potatoes
    Broccoli

I believe it all comes out to around 500-600 calories. Sodium is through the roof, but just drink some extra water the next day and you'll be alright.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what I do at TGI Is order whatever I want, I drink water with it rather than any drink with calories, and then eat until I'm satisfied and ask the waiter for a takeaway box, and I take the leftovers home, and this generally makes another two meals. 3 cheat meals for the price of one, basically. I don't do this all that often; 3 high calorie meals in a row once in a while isn't going to mess up my long term goals. Also, I typically ask to exchange any chips/french fries for a side salad, as I enjoy the side salad a lot more, and I'm not to worried about fatty dressings, because I'm there to enjoy myself, but salad even with the fatty dressing has a lot more micronutrients than french fries and I enjoy it more, so it makes sense.

IMO the worst thing about these kinds of restaurants is the ridiculously large portion sizes. Honestly one meal at TGIs could feed three people. (and on that note, a couple of weeks ago my family and some friends ate at the mall, we got a Papa John's "meal for three" deal which fed 4 adults and 4 kids aged 1-6 where the only extras we bought were a drink of water for me (the other three adults had the three drinks that came with the deal) and cartons of juice for the kids. i.e. a meal for 3 that fed 8 people...)
  • amnesiaiom
    amnesiaiom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go for a steak with salad and dressing on the side :D
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I always have the bbq chicken salad - it's only 500 calories and is delicious!x
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Now a days they usually have a section on the menu that lists meals under 500 cals. I would stick to anything under there and then the salad bar sans fatty/sugary dressings.

Youll still get a tasty dinner without the guilt. but dont be shocked when the portion size is tiny.