What do you put in crustless quiches?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I want to make some, but I'm clueless about the base... 3 eggs and 1 cup of milk? Then whatever I want in it? I'm thinking goat cheese and spinach...

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for Crustless Quiche:

This recipe makes 4 servings.

Ingredients-
    1 1/2 tablespoons fine dry plain bread crumbs
    1 cup frozen chopped onions
    1 cup diced cooked ham (1/4 pound)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 (8-ounce) package shredded Swiss cheese (2 cups)
    4 large eggs
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup whole milk

Dierctions-
    -Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in middle.

-Butter quiche dish, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs.

-Cook onions with ham in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes. Spread in dish, then evenly sprinkle cheese on top.

-Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pour over cheese. Bake until top is golden and custard is set in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before cutting into wedges.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just add the ingredients that I would use in an omlet… so whatever is in my fridge, really… and then throw them in some muffin tins. You have to spray the muffin tins. Also, any vegetables or meat you want to actually be cooked, you need to precook, and then put in your scrambled eggs (once cooled, because you will cook the egg, and it would be all weird and gross). Cook at 350 for about 15-20 min. Pretty easy actually. Just don't be like me and forget they're in the oven… man… that was a rough day...
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I blend 3 eggs into a tub of cottage cheese for the base.
    I used pineapple cottage cheese last time and added ham and mushrooms so it was kinda hawiian.
    Other times iv just added veg or left overs from Sunday lunch.
    I also really like Chorizo so usually some of that.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I just made one with ground buffalo, bacon, asparagus and onion, turned out pretty good
  • Renilicious
    Renilicious Posts: 12
    Options
    My favourite is with pumpkin, mushrooms and spinach.

I fry up some onion, steam the pumpkin and wilt and chop up the spinach.

Then I beat up a few eggs with milk and throw the whole lot together in a tin or dish it out into large ramekins. Top with some low fat cheese and throw into the oven until they're cooked. It's more of a frittata doing it that way, however it's much healthier sans the extra cream and stuff that normally goes into a quiche.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I got this on My Fitness Pal. I love it.. I like spinach and all the ingredients in it.

Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
    Ingredients:
    For cooking in a pan:
    2 Tbsp oil
    1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 cups chopped mushrooms
    3 cups chopped spinach
    Red pepper ftakes
    Salt
    Pepper
    For the custard:
    4 eggs (could use egg substitute)
    1/2 cup milk (I used 2 %)
    2 wedges of The Laughing Cow cheese
    Salt and pepper
    Method:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with some oil.
    Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat
    Add the onion and garlic, followed by the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
    Next, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until all the liquid released evaporates.
    Add spinach and cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts. Let the mixture cool slightly.
    Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the cheese. Spread the vegetable mixture in an even layer in the pie dish. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture.
    Bake at 375 F for about 35 minutes, until the quiche is slightly puffed and golden brown on top.
    I initially cut into 8 slices, but after looking at the size and also the nutrition I've been eating a 1/4 of the pie.
    Now here's the biggy ... Nutrition per 1/4 of the pie Calorie 98
    Fat6
    Sodium 172
    Protein 8
    Carbs 2
    Sugar 1
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • quianab76
    quianab76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese and spinach is good--I add a little sauteed onion. I also have made them with turley sausage crumbles,habenero jack amd spinach.
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to put all my quiche ingredient in the mfp recipe builder so that I know the exact nutrition for each quiche muffin. Then I have quick on the go breakfast all week.

I try and use low carb, low salt ingredients like egg whites, chicken, diced spinach, light pepper jack cheese, bell peppers, green onion, fresh garlic, a bit of sun dried tomato, salt free seasoning, cayenne pepper,

Also, I don't use any milk, cream, butter or breading. They still taste great, but have much fewer calories and carbs

First I like to sauté the chicken with the fresh garlic and the onions.
    Next, Just stir the rest together and measure into muffin tins.
    Top each muffin with the cheese
    Bake 375 @ 20-30 mins.

Kids love when you make these Mini muffin size with their favorite ingredients.
    Enjoy
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I usually make a 2,2,2 quiche: 2 eggs, 2 cups milk and 2 tablespoons flour, then add whatever else you want.

I've also made a crust for quiche out of polenta which was yummy.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..and...

If you want a "crust" i recently saw someone shredding spaghetti squash and pressing it with egg whites into a pie-pan, baking it until crispy and filling it with quiche filling. It was gorgeous, healthy and with sage, bacon (or turkey sausage if you abstain from pork), sharp cheddar and more egg-whites than egg, it sounded out of this world.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I usually make a 2,2,2 quiche: 2 eggs, 2 cups milk and 2 tablespoons flour, then add whatever else you want.

I've also made a crust for quiche out of polenta which was yummy.

Oooh...Good idea. Polenta crust sounds tasty!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is the base that I use for my quiche - a meat crust!
    http://paleomg.com/meat-crust-quiche/

I usually add spinach, mushrooms, nice strong cheese, fresh herbs (especially basil) and sundried tomatoes to mine. But the italian sausage crust is what really does the trick.
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..and...

If you want a "crust" i recently saw someone shredding spaghetti squash and pressing it with egg whites into a pie-pan, baking it until crispy and filling it with quiche filling. It was gorgeous, healthy and with sage, bacon (or turkey sausage if you abstain from pork), sharp cheddar and more egg-whites than egg, it sounded out of this world.
    great idea. Great flavors
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i loosely follow this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/detail.aspx

like you, i prefer feta. i will often include feta and mozz, just feta, or feta and cheddar. (whatever cheese you have will work fine)

I usu add a dash of nutmeg and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the batter as well. they're great to bake in muffin tins and then freeze them. you can pop them in the microwave for 30 secs or so and they are a quick on the go breakfast.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche = frittata. Yum.

I use lots of eggs and a splash of milk, the same way I'd make scrambled eggs. Sometimes I'll make a frittata with 4 whole eggs, a little milk and 1/2 carton of egg whites.

My favorite is to sautee a mixture of veggies - onion, peppers, broccoli and mushrooms, pour the eggs into the pan and put it all in the oven. The veggies and pan are already hot, so it bakes up in about 10 minutes (350, broil at the end if you want a crisp top.)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do a delicious quiche with artichoke hearts, feta cheese and green onions. Mine isn't crustless, however. I make a "crust" out of brown rice. It's yummy! And only 171 calories per slice.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just made one last night actually. Here's the scoop:

4 large eggs (I used 2 and a 1/2 cup of eggs substitute)
    1 cup non-fat or low fat milk
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour (it sinks to the bottom and makes a very thin light "crust". It's interesting)
    1 T olive oil
    1 T chopped garlic
    2 cups broccoli (can be frozen)
    1/2 t salt (i omitted)
    fresh ground pepper
    1 t oregano
    1 chopped onion
    paprika
    1/2 c 2% shredded cheddar cheese (I use Kraft)

Preheat oven to 350 and spray 9x9 baking dish.
    Put the olive oil, garlic and onion in a pan and cook until softened. If your broccoli is frozen place in pan as well and cook until thawed and a bit soft. If not, add fresh broccoli after onion is soft and cook broccoli until soft. I added a cup of chopped zucchini as well. Place warmed vegetables in a glass baking dish.
    Mix eggs, milk, seasonings and flour until combined. Pour mixture over veggies in dish and top with a sprinkle of paprika. I also sprinkled some extra seasonings on top, I like a lot of flavor.
    Bake for 35 minutes- when there is 7-8 mins left, sprinkle cheese on top and return to oven. Let cool for 10 mins before serving.

Nutrition: (I cut into 4 equal size pieces)

Cals/slice: 172
    carbs: 13
    fat: 8
    protein: 13

I served mine with string green beans and a lightly seasoned piece of tilapia. Yummm.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I fill a quicke dish with chopped veggies, then cover with egg whites, and top with cheese.

Pretty easy.

Delicious as hell.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I need to keep these recipes!