Moving to New York!

Options
So in less that a month I'm moving from England to New York City for a year. It'd be great if anyone from NYC or America could give me some tips on where to buy healthy goods, some great places to exercise (gyms/classes etc) and any other tips you might have for a fellow dieter//healthy eater! I'm also a vegetarian and lactose intolerant so it'd be nice to know of some places I could get some good vegan food or any dairy free places! && if you've got any places I should steer clear of then let me know about them too!!

Hope everyone is well and losing those lbs! Thanks L x

Replies

• GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have fun! I only lived in NYC for a month, but I don't think you'll have a problem on either account. As I recall, there were tons of grocery stores and fitness places.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Where in NYC?...it's a big city ;)
  • claudiafit96
    Options
    WHOLE FOODS EXPENSIVE BUT PRICELESS
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC too. Everything you could ever want is here, so you don't have to worry to much about not being able to find anything.
    Depends on the neighborhood too, though.
    Either way, you'll love it and find that eating healthy is both very easy (because there is so much that is easily accessible) and very difficult because you'll be out socializing and going to events often!
    Gym memberships in NYC are very expensive for the most part, but you can find a good deal from time to time. LivingSocial has a lot of good deals for fitness classes and stuff like that, but again, it totally depends on what borough/neighborhood you will be in!
  • lanotts
    lanotts Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll be living in Manhattan, midtown I think! && thanks guys :)
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I wish I could move to England for a year :sad:
  • jicohen117
    jicohen117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to NYC!

In my experience, Whole Foods (so long as you're willing to shell out a little extra $$$) and Trader Joe's are the easiest supermarkets to get healthy foods from. Fairway, too, but at least for me that one is a little hard to travel to. I would avoid Gristedes - I think it's even more overpriced than WF with much fewer options.

The great thing about being a vegetarian/vegan in NYC is that there are plenty of places that cater to all kinds of dietary needs. Some good restaurants that I can think of right off the bat are Dirt Candy, Kajitsu, Pure Food & Wine, Westville (not a veg restaurant, but they do incredible veggie plates)... but aside from a few exceptions (like maybe a steakhouse or something), you should be able to find something on almost any menu here.
  • lanotts
    lanotts Posts: 11
    Options
    That's great thank you so much for your help! x