Mexican Food!

Options
So tonight I am going out with some friends to a new Mexican restaurant in town. I am already stressing about what I could possibly eat there. I've already decided that I will NOT have a margarita (even though I hear they are wonderful there!). I'm also having a lighter breakfast and lunch than normal so that I have a little more room for error.
What do you usually order? Are there any good options when it comes to Mexican cuisine?

Replies

• ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually a good option. If you decide to go with a salad, be very careful...they're usually packed with sodium and calories at mexican restaurants. This is a big problem for me because I'm a mexican food junkie :) I usually go with a good salad or fajitas....if I can tear myself away from the enchiladas :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Get the taco salad.... no shell... ask for no cheese or sour cream-- but have a little guacamole instead. opt for chicken or shrimp instead of steak. Alot of places will add some fajita peppers on too...

Remember, the chips and salsa are LOADED with calories. (Chips are fried!) And avoid them like the plague. If you have one or two thats fine, but make sure you move the basket away from you, so ur not further tempted....

Good luck!
  • sexylonglegs
    sexylonglegs Posts: 278
    Options
    I usually get a chicken burrito (no sour, no cheese) and munch on a few chips...not many. Enjoy!
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a good suggestion because you can skip the tortilla if you want. Chicken or Shrimp are the best option. Be careful about eating light all day. If you are starving when you get there, you may not be able to resist the chips on the table! That is what happens to me when I "gear up" for a mexican food night.

Skipping the cheese and sour cream on any thing is smart. Load salsa on whatever you get for the flavor impact. Many Mexican restaurants now have som sort of chicken breast dish these days. Look for that.

Pork carnitas or some sort of shredded pork isn't too bad, they are high in sodium but low in fat. Also, corn tortillas are better than flour. Just be sure they are not fried or warmed on an oily griddle.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I usually share fajitas. But, I wouldn't worry too much. Have fun and enjoy the food (sensably)! One day of "blowing it" won't really hurt you.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    We go to a local Mexican restaurant at least once a month and 99% of the time I order the "cocido" (beef soup). It's about the only thing on the menu that I feel is healthy and it's really good. It's a brothy soup made with beef, lots of vegetables, such as cabbage, carrots, corn, zucchini, etc. and I'll have maybe one or two tortillas at the most and NO chips! That way I can order the margarita.

Maybe the restaurant you are going to serves it. It's an idea you might consider.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to Chevy's for Mexican, I ordered a Salsa Chicken Enchilada. I asked for a plain bed of salad greens and I put my enchilada on top of that. It was yummy and filling! And I love Chevy's chips & salsa.. so, I allowed myself 4 chips just to get the satisfaction! :wink:

The enchilada was 240 calories. 19 carbs & 15g protein.... then just add in the greens
  • tina_011794
    Options
    My suggestion would be to look up and see if you local restaurant has a webpage. If so, they might have the nutrition listed, you can then base it off of those or find another chain restaurant and look at the calories there (they will be some what similar). I would go with a chicken or shrimp dish. Watch out for anything smothered, that is bad news. A dish with grilled veggies as a side.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i order the carne asada with no rice or beans or tortillas. it's served with grilled scallions, lettuce and tomato salad and a few avocado slices. and they serve huge glasses of unsweetened iced tea. most places understand low carb or dieting and are supportive. good luck!
  • alyz
    alyz Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I'll be going with some sort of chicken dish, as I am allergic to shrimp. I appreciate the feedback!!
  • danadee
    danadee Posts: 49
    Options
    If you order salad, bring your own dressing. Newman's Own Lite Lime Vinaigerette would complement a Mexican-style salad well.
    Stay away from the beans and rice, or if you must, black beans.
    No flour tortillas!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i had a grilled chicken taco and a fish taco a la carte....but i didn't eat the "tavo" part of the fish, only hte chicken. and i had about 15 chips with salsa and all of it added up to this
    cals carbs fat protein
    545 56 16 45

not too bad for the mexican food! Just order a la carte because you would be suprised how much it fiils you up rather than getting the rice and beans. Whatever you are cravcing, type it in to the mvp food log and see how much everything is and see if its worth it to you. I LOVE chili rellenos, but i was hungry that day and they have 480, so i wanted to be able to eat two things. Sad thing is I used to get 2 chili rellenos all the time without even thinking about it.
  • lordrahvin
    lordrahvin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered that salsa (especially Pico de gallo) is a great substitute for salad dressing, and other creamy flavoring foods like mayonnaise or sour cream.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I'm so glad I came across this thread! I'm meeting friends for lunch at a Mexican restaurant in a little while so I was looking for guidance when I came across this one.