Cereal addict. Is this going to impact my results?

Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
I am a cereal addict. My love for cereal varies from healthy oaty fibery grainy cereal to chocolatey crunchy fruity cereal.

Recently i have been having cereal for breakfast and dinner (lunch i have a nice protein meal, chicken, egg, beans) but the cereal seems to be taking me WAY over my daily sugar allowance, even the good ones that are low in sugar.

Is this going to stall my weight loss?

(If you look at my diary please do not judge today's entry as normal as this is too the extreme of my cereal eating and woke up at 2am starving hungry and stupidly made myself a massive bowl of chocolate wheetos)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Weight loss? No, not as long as you are in a deficit.
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Also a cereal addict and, as long as you do it in moderation and pay attention to the nutrition facts, it should be all right. I've had cereal for breakfast (and sometimes for dinner) every day that I've been trying to lose weight but have still lost 80 pounds. I also substitute the milk with unsweetened almond milk. (Can't taste the difference at all but it only has 15 calories per half cup and it DOES have a lot of other things your body needs!)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    It won't affect weight loss if you stick to correct portion sizes and make sure the calories fit in your daily goals. I stopped buying cereal only because I was never satisfied from 1 serving (3/4 of a cup! come on!) and eating it regularly caused me to have really bad cravings for it and sugar in general.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,885 Member
    Weight loss no, and depending on how much your cereal make up those calories, not as ideal as a more balanced approach.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    You can eat anything at all and still lose weight...as long as you still have a calorie deficit.
    However, sugar is known to give the marshmellow fluff around the middle. So, though you'll lose your weight, if you're on a journey to gain muscle and have a beautiful tone, sugar ends up stalling that process. If you're just wanting to lose weight and worry about muscle definition later, then sugar it up...not, really. But, enjoy your cereal....in moderation, of course.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I'm a fan of cereal - most nights I have a bowl of Lucky Charms before bed. But, I make sure to fit it into my day. I get plenty of protein and fats, along with fruits and veggies. I preplan my meals so I know if I can make my snacks fit or not.

"Everything in moderation" means just that - moderation. You need to make sure you're eating plenty of other nutritious foods and then moderating your cereal intake.

You can still lose weight just eating cereal, but for health and performance, you should reconsider your approach.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    cereal imo is a very healthy meal, you've got protein from the milk, healthy carbs, fiber, iron and b vitamins, try and find one that's got low sugar and add honey to sweeten you're in good stead

one thing you'll notice is mfp shows your iron comsumption shoot up BUT there are two types of iron, one is very absorbable the other isn't and it's the one that isn't that's added to cereal, so it's nothing to worry about

i have it two meals a day but i have full fat milk and LOTS of it to gain weight and i feel great from it, it's not too bulky so i just get fat, very controllable, though i will say if you're active and hungry you can process it very quickly which can mean in 2 hours time you're hungry again so that will be something to watch out for

you can also add dried fruit to add some more goodness to it (i love raisins!)