Getting Discouraged!

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for a year and to be honest I just have gotten serious. I am only 5'2" and I weigh 210 I have lost some weight in the last thirty days I am down to 196. I am getting discouraged as I only have time to walk on my treadmill I walk anywhere between 30-45 minutes. I know I am not special and like so many others I have five kids I work all day and my husband works nights. I was wondering if there is a website of exercises that you can do at home. Or what are some things that you do to lose weight with little time and cant leave your home? Thank you I dont want to give up by I'm not moving sizes and I feel less and less desire to keep going.

Replies

• carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After dinner I would grab a couple of kids and go for a walk or to the park and play. I think that if we get up off the couch and move after dinner you will notice an improvement. That worked for me. I walked all winter long. Now it is at the point where if I do not get a walk in it's like I didn' t have a good day. I miss it.
  • XoXoLJFitness
    Options
    Get a workout video such as Turbo Fire; many others available on www.beachbody.com. There are also workout videos on YouTube. Take the time that you workout as a positive moment and that it is finally your time to "relax" as you are a very busy mom and have tons on your plate. Let your children know the amount of time your need (or at least the older ones) and at that time it is Mom's time and that you need this time for yourself. It will help you rewind for the day as well.

Another great thing that I have heard of people doing is setting up small check points to reward yourself with something other than food. Such as 10 lb pedicure...20 lbs new shoes...something of that sort to keep you motivated.

In a house with many children and a husband busy as well it is important to be vocal with everyone in the family what you are looking to do and to get their support at all times.
  • meltingmama1965
    Options
    I know the feeling hun. i dont work but all day im busy handleing things for school and counsalors for my autistic son. I clean the house, cook the meals and bake for the family. I have little time and my sorce of exercise is i clean, go out for a walk, take son to the park, i also put on some music and have my son join me and dance. Your kids would love to do that depending on the age of them. Then when it is bed time i have stretch bands and i use them before i go to sleep.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You've lost 14 lbs in a month? That is a lot of weight. Really. You're doing fine. Losing faster than that would not be healthy. To be honest, it would help to realise that as you lose more, it will slow down further. You can't expect to lose that much every month. Weight loss is a slow process.

You should be really proud of what you've achieved so far, and fitting in exercise at all when you work and have 5 kids is a real accomplishment! Don't be discouraged, you should be patting yourself on the back. Walking's fine. I lost a fair bit of weight with just walking. Also, there are a lot of free videos on youtube. Or, you could get an exercise DVD. A lot of people recommend things like Jillian Michaels, Insanity. I've not tried any of them (except 1 Jillian Michaels one) but they may be worth checking out. Bodyrock.tv is another site that has free videos. Also, google "body weight exercises" if you're interested in doing some resistance exercises using just your body weight.
  • fields4fitness
    fields4fitness Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender on youtube has amazing free videos and there are endless videos. Don't give up
  • icemelt68
    icemelt68 Posts: 7
    Options
    This is one that I do at home and requires no equipment. You can lose lots of calories in a short amount of time. I use the bottom step to my basement floor, play some fast beat music, and start step alternating 20 reps on each leg for 30 to 45 minutes. The calorie burn is twice the amount as using your treadmill to walk on. Good luck!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    First of all, don't give up! How old or big is your youngest child? Pick that child up and down for weight lifting that the child will enjoy at the same time! Get the kids involved and make it a game. Everybody on the floor and try sit-ups (or crunches) with a child sitting on your feet and one on your chest! Play 'horsey' with them where you are the 'horse' to strengthen arms. Use the kids as a motivator for you! There are videos and websites out there with ideas like these to get your kids involved in your wellness goals and teaches them about health and wellness at the same time. Most of all, make it fun!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You've lost loads in a very short time - please don't give up! You ahve quire a bit to go, but once you get nearer your target make sure you don't lose more than 2lb a week or it won't be sustainable.

I try to fit in small bits of exercise - such as a walk round the block (15 mins brisk walking), or a short (20 min) section of an aerobics DVD. Also look for exercises on any game station you might have - I love my Wii Zumba 2, but there's loads of different exercise routines fro these. I swear by Rosemary Conley DVDs, as they break down into short mix n match sections and always have an easier version and more advanced version so you can make it more challenging as you get fitter.
    As others have said, go to the park if its nice. Or if you're dropping kids anywhere then go for a walk while your car is parked.

ETA try to fit in a walk during your lunch break, use washrooms as far from your office/desk as possible and use stairs ALL the time - it all adds up.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i do little things all day. i do press ups on the counter while i wait for the microwave to ping, squate as the kettle boils, go up-down-up the stairs or down-up-down, i have weights strewn around the house, a punchbag in my bedroom.

doing a little something all through the day adds up.

when the kids were small we did exercise DVDs together, but now they're too cool :indifferent:
  • mjcat002
    mjcat002 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes, play, run, walk w/kids..you know even housework, dishes standing, etc are calories burnt !! If you want try youtube check out Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds dvd's. Easy to follow, many different ones great to do at home, with light weights. I live in an urban setting, am 56 yrs old, and really dont care to walk around outside unless I drive to a walking trail blahhh. I found Walk away the pounds for abs very good, you can do you own speed. Check these out they may help. Good luck, stay strong and healthy :flowerforyou:
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As many have said, you are doing incredibly well so a huge bravo and standing ovation for you!!!

There's some good suggestions on here about YouTube videos and it maybe worth starting a new topic about best home exercises. I'd also consider, when you're finding the 30-45 mins ok to accomplish, just try upping the pace a little until you find that ok too. Just adding a little at a time you may even end up at a gentle jog before you know it.

They say strength + cardio is even better, so try some hand weight (or even ankle weights) while you are walking and just doing some arrn exercises as you go. If you don't have handweights then bags of flour or bottles of water can work equally well.

Please don't give up, you're already an inspiration with how much you've accomplished!! :-)
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try this:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout
    "The Scientific 7-Minute Workout"

A good routine if you don't have much time or equipment.