Jogging/running tips

Options
I'm a relatively new jogger, and I'm wondering if you guys would like to share some tips.
I mostly jog at night when I'll be seen by less people. One of my problems is that jogging at night seems to give people the idea to catcall/honk/harass me. Most of the time its annoying, but there have been times where I was scared. Is there a way I can feel safer? I jog in well-lit areas, but those are the places where I get harassed.
Also, is it necessary to buy those expensive running shoes? I got a pair for 20 bucks and they seem to do ok for now.
Any other tips/tricks/advice is welcome.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As far as safety at night goes, I would suggest carrying pepper spray and a cell phone.

For shoes, a lot of people tend to find that properly fitted shoes do work better. Wearing the right shoes cuts down on pain, shin splints, blisters, etc. If you can, get fitted at a running specialty store.

My other advice would be to go slow and increase your distance a little bit each week. Couch to 5K is a good app to get started with.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I jogged for many years when younger (college, 20's, 30's) but stopped once I had a houseful of kids and zero time for myself. Then in 2008 I left my job in the "building" and began working solely from home behind a computer. I don't have to tell you what my poor body looks like after five years of inactivity!

In April I started walking 3 miles a day. Then 2 weeks ago I got fitted for new running shoes and began the C25K program. Before the new shoes my feet, knees, and hips were aching badly. Now they don't bother me at all and I feel great.

I only walk/jog during daylight hours because I'm a big chicken. Is there no way for you to run during daylight? Could you find someone to accompany you if after dark? A big dog would make you feel better, maybe. Can you borrow one?
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i bought some running shoes that fit comfortably at th beginning of my weighloss journey. After about 600 miles ran in them and unbearable shin splints later my friend who is a personal trainer dragged me into a running store.

i ended up purchasing a pair of legit running shoes for a pretty penny, but they are amazing!

good quality shoes really are a must, my shin splints were so bad they put me outta commisison for a good month or two and had to rely on KT tape to even walk, sucked
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Lra. Couch to 5k is awesome. I am very overweight (obsese) and I have started with this app. It allows you to jog a bit and then walk a bit until you are able to work yourself up to a nice steady jog. It allows you tio increase your pace and distance at your on pace. I have an app on my phone its great. I plug in my head phones with my music and the app will advise me whan its time to jog or walk and you can increase your jogging time if you feel you can do more. Good luck, and careful at night.
  • missyfarr
    missyfarr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't run at night. You'll be safer running in the day. Who cares what you look like when you're running?? You're up and moving and that's more than most people. I started running in 2010 and in less than 3 weeks will be running my 2nd ultramarathon (anything over a marathon distance)-in this case, a 50 miler. I remember the first day I ran, not being able to make it 1/2 a block. I have heard great things about the Couch to 5k app but haven't tried it. I say if the $20 shoes are working, go with it. Good luck and keep it up!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Get GOOD socks! I was surprised at the difference good socks make in your foot comfort. In my case, I bought Thorlos brand--at first I choked at the price, but now I believe they were worth every penny. Maybe someone else on here have tried them and have found a cheaper alternative (I'd also like to know)--but in the meantime I'll stick with them. They are pricey, but also durable and super comfortable!
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I only jog in day light because I don't want to trip on an unseen crack or pothole and twist my ankle. I did that years ago and haven't run at night since.

I wear minimalist running shoes, so to me shoes are less important. The key is to land on the balls of your feet, not the heels. Most expensive running shoes concentrate on cushioning the heels when you land, if you don't land on them then its not a problem.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I run at night - don't be too worried - pop some earphones in and wear fluorescent clothing to make sure you're easily visible (I know you don't want to be seen but it's important you're not hurt).

I would strongly recommend a good pair of running shoes but they're expensive so I might wait until you've properly got into running before you do that :)

xxx
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Running shoes - You get what you pay for and doing a gait analysis can save you from agony.

Build slowly.

Rest days! from personal experience don't try and run 3 miles a day as your legs will just end in knots

Stretch! Calves, Quads and Hamstrings, 30 seconds per muscle per leg as a minimum before and after your run
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Try a morning run and don't worry about who sees you. Just listen to your music and enjoy the run.

Lighter shoes are better. Try not to run with a heel strike. It will lead to shin pain and knee pain.

Don't push too hard too soon or go too far before you're ready.

And be careful of cars. They ofter do not see runners.

Warm up walk before you run and STRETCH AFTER your run. Very important. Stretching cold muscles does you no good. It's afterwards when they are warm were it will give you the most benefit.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi ahappydancer, and welcome to running, you'll like it here!

First up, please don't feel you have to run at night. Honestly, more people will think "Good on you!" than anything bad. I'm always hearing "Wish I could do that," or "I should be doing that". But other than fellow runners giving you a cheery wave, most members of the public will ignore you entirely.

If you still feel you have to go out after dark, honks and catcalls are harmless; better words shouted on a busy street than going somewhere with no-one about. My rule of thumb is run somewhere you'd feel safe walking at the same time of day or night - running in and of itself doesn't increase the risk. I never use headphones at night to stay aware of my situation.

But, honestly, you'd probably draw much less attention in daylight. I run from work at lunchtime to avoid having to run in the dark.

No need to invest in super-expensive shoes to begin with, but it's worth Googling running style to avoid injury. Heel landing is the biggest cause of aches and pains in new runners, so try to let your leg swing naturally under, not in front of, your body and land mid-foot.

Once you're running three times a week for half an hour or more and you feel like you'll stick with it, go to a proper running shoe shop where they will assess your gait while running. The first pair it's worth spending the extra for, but once you know what make and model suits you, you can buy last seasons colours online for half the price. You may need to go up half a size from your regular workout shoes.

Here are some more beginner's tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, and do please come back and let us know how yo get ion :flowerforyou:
  • thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm also generally a nighttime runner, more because of my work schedule than anything. Headphones do a wonder to distract me and I always go for nicer shoes. You may not feel it now, but after a couple months you will. A properly fitting shoe makes or breaks many runners. Try a local running shop for a true fit and talk about it. My crosstrainers are Aasics and have been since my high school track days.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    For those of you that were fitted for shoes, what brand did you end up with? I am considering getting fitted but the closest running store that does fitting is 1 1/2 hours away. :-(
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Safety >> fitness. Getting fit doesn't mean much if you get hit by a car or mugged in the process.

If running at night is all your schedule can accomodate, consider...
    - Running in a well-lighted safe area. Many community colleges, parks, etc. have a track or well-lighted area to run
    - Consider treadmill running in an inexpensive gym, there are several in my area that are cheap.
    (I'd pay $10/month not to get hit by a car)
    - If running outside at night, reflective vest/clothing. They make adhesive/sew on reflective tape you can add to clothes.
    - Good shoes. If you have access to a running store, go and get your gait assessed (pronation, etc.) Good shoes prevent injury.
    - Go slow to start. The C25K program is a good one. It's a long-term activity, so ease into it and don't injure yourself.
    - Do some casual homework. Google good running form and beginner running tips. Information is helpful.

Remember to have fun and enjoy it. I love running outside and it's a great stress outlet. :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole "get good socks" suggestion was a load of BS. Holy COW! Get good socks! What a difference it makes. I have Smart Wool running socks and they are amazing.

Also, I wouild discourage running at night -- especially in the area you have already experienced concerns. If it is a habit that other people are noticing it could make you a target. If you have no other choice, I'd vary your route making sure someone always knows which route you are on - carry a cell phone, pepper spray and DO NOT turn your music up so loud you cannot hear someone approaching you. Perhaps only one earbud in and music low if at all.

And, have fun! I love Couch to 5K and I am on Week 8 with my first 5K on Sunday :happy:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
    Run without music.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Run during the day. I would rather be seen by more people than be seen by people who make me feel unsafe. If that's not an option you could get a taser.

http://www.securityandselfdefensestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=107&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1237&category_id=4944&gclid=CI6Vv6rhlbcCFcU7Mgod6DIAdw
  • RDKDGK
    RDKDGK Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, you're doing something positive for yourself. Be proud of yourself and keep at it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    For those of you that were fitted for shoes, what brand did you end up with? I am considering getting fitted but the closest running store that does fitting is 1 1/2 hours away. :-(
    What works for other people won't necessarily work for you and you could end up injured. That three hour round trip will pay for itself in spades, and like I said you can then go on to buy more of the same online later. Generally speaking, stay away form street brands like Nike and Adidas, and you should find you're given brands like Brooks, Asics and Saucony to try.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Instead of running at night, get to bed earlier and get up and run at 5:00 am. The only people you'll see are other runners (many of whom are also trying to lose weight or get fit) and people on their way to work who are more concerned with their early meeting then honking at someone. Morning air is cool and refreshing and a lot cleaner as well--the night time dew washes away a lot of the pollution.