under 300 cal pancake breakfast!

Options
ACarp24
ACarp24 Posts: 90
I have missed eating pancakes so much since I started my journey. I've tried making oatmeal pancakes but they tasted too much like diet food in my opinion so I decided to make up my own recipe. I've made this a few times but today it came out perfect.

Pancake with Strawberry Syrup
serves:1 person

for pancake:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 egg white
1 cup water
3 packets no calorie sweetner
2 tsp baking powder

for strawberry syrup:
3oz strawberries (about 3 large berries)
5 packets no calorie sweetner
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cornstarch (dissolved in cold water)

Directions:

for pancake:

mix together the flour, sweetner,and baking powder in a small glass bowl. set aside. measure out 1 cup of water in a liquid measuring cup then add the egg white. Pour the egg white and water mixture on to the dry ingredients and mix until no flour is visible, the mixture should be relatively thin.
put a small pan coated in non stick spray over medium heat. When the pan is hot pour in the entire batch of pancake batter.
let it cook until you see several bubbles on the top, then carefully flip and cook until inside is done (this will probably take another 1 to 2 mins)

For Syrup
place strawberries, water, and sweetner into a small saucepan, place over medium heat, and cover. Let the mixture cook until the strawberries are soft.(approx 3-5 mins) Dissolve the cornstarch in about a tablespoon of cold water then add to mixture. Continue cooking for another few minutes until thickened. After cooking is complete you should let the mixture cool for a few minutes before serving, it will be very very hot!

Pour the strawberry syrup over your giant pancake and enjoy!

Calories: 263
Carbs: 57g
Fat: 0
Protein: 10

Replies

• girlmeetsworld93
    Options
    I am super stoked to try this! I absolutely love pancakes, and we can a blueberry bush that have tons of bluberrys that are needed to be used up - so this will be a perfect way to do that! Thanks for the recipe!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    We get up usually around 6:30 am, so could you be here by 7-ish? Good! Thanks!:drinker:
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here's another recipe, I don't use articifical sweeteners......no artificial anything. Nothing processed either.

I'm posting the link, for the record Elie Krieger is a fantastic source for recipes as she's a registered dietician, nutritionist and a chef. When I make these I don't use powdered sugar and I also don't cut them into hearts. I also use whole wheat pastry flour (makes them lighter) for the whole recipe. Lastly, you can make your own buttermilk by squeezing lemon juice into regular milk, that way you're not buying extra ingredients just to make one recipe.

Make sure you are buying REAL maple syrup, not Aunt Jemima or some other derivative.

I also like to make blueberry syrup, using frozen blueberries, syrup, and a little lemon juice. Greek yogurt goes really well with these too!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/heart-shaped-whole-wheat-pancakes-with-strawberry-sauce-recipe/index.html
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Your recipe sounds delish.......I may have to try it! Thanks for posting.
  • ACarp24
    ACarp24 Posts: 90
    Options
    I understand that some people prefer to not use the artificial sweetener, however with real sugar this would just be too much! I suppose you could substitute the sweetener for a couple tablespoons of honey, but it would add extra calories, and I try to aim for under 300 for breakfast so I used the artificial sweetener.
  • mom2mykiddos
    mom2mykiddos Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pancakes... thanks for posting this, ACarp24!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    definatley trying this!!!