someone posted this on my sisters facebook:

Options
936331_367710649997029_413705938_n.jpg

you can imagine the comments :laugh:

the girls are basically flipping out and all the guys are saying "it's so true"

i don't get why we can't agree that it's difficult for everyone! if it was so easy, half of us girls wouldn't have been so big our whole lives. guys, i know it's difficult for you too.
smh.

edit: ah it got cut off. for guys it says "years of hard work at the gym many times a week and a strict diet with enough proteins and little fats and sugars.

Replies

• roaringsea
    roaringsea Posts: 7
    Options
    Oh goodness... that's not totally sexist and offensive or anything. /sarcasm I love when people assume that all girls would look like the girl in the photograph if they "don't eat like a hippo". Just, no. I've never been overweight, just a little chubby around my middle, and even when I was in high school, "eating like a hippo" and weighing 100lbs (yay for fast metabolisms) I never had a flat stomach like that.

And just oh my gosh, guys can go cry me a river about all this "expectation" for them to look buff and tan and junk. I don't see anything that pushes that notion. Guys aren't expected to look perfect if they want to be accepted like women are. For women, we either try to look and be as perfect as possible, or get told we're fat and ugly. Because, you know, we're only worth our looks.

Also, I'm not directing any of that at you. Just, wow, that picture irritated me!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Because clearly, I would look just like that if only I didn't eat like a ****ing hippo.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    believe me, this picture irritated me aswell! but to be honest, i think the poster of the picture was trying to irritate us. he must have known that this wouldn't sit well with women.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Definitely not true! Throughout high school and college I had a dream body like the girl in that picture. I did dance and yoga three times a week and walked to class. Since starting grad school my life got significantly more sedentary and while I haven't really gained weight and didn't significantly change my diet, my body composition has gone from about 20% body fat to over 30%. The visual change is outstanding (not in a good way). I think that, because women don't generally develop large muscles, people generally underestimate the effect they have on physical appearance for women. The truth is, most female bathing suit models probably do some sort of strength training, even if it is just yoga or pilates (which can both be very helpful for strengthening).
    I do agree though, the beauty standards for men and women are different, men are expected to be super muscular while women are expected to be super thin, but I think people don't realize that equal work has to go into both of those looks, just different types of work. In addition, men generally have higher BMRs (mine would be about 200 calories higher if I were a man) and lower body fat percentages, so it is slightly easier for them to maintain low body fat than women. Again, though, they have to do similar amounts of work, it's just different kinds of work.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Stupid. And incredibly not true. They don't think that model has to work to look like that??? Get real! She may not work the same way as the guy does...but she works just as hard.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well...honestly...facebook is dumb!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    FACEBOOK??? SO 1998...DOES ANYONE STILL DO THAT LAMETARD SITE?
  • MischiffMaker
    MischiffMaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lol! In all fairness, it's a swapped out version of how men are told all they have to do to lose weight is lay off the beer and bread...
  • peopletalk
    Options
    FACEBOOK??? SO 1998...DOES ANYONE STILL DO THAT LAMETARD SITE?
    :flowerforyou:
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Facebook trolling. That picture is freaking stupid, enough said.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Facebook trolling. That picture is freaking stupid, enough said.
    i kinda figured it was a troll after i thought about it. what kind of guy would think this would be even slightly okay to say to a woman? haha
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    In other words, don't be an herbivore? SMH.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually know how much a hippo eats???

That's an ugly little statement. It's amazing just how sexist our society has become. Particularly on the net. It's pervasive. And not considered hate speech.

And we wonder why so many women have some sort of eating disorder...
  • peopletalk
    Options
    i was going to say, if i would have known it was this easy, i would have stopped eating like a hippo a long time ago!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    936331_367710649997029_413705938_n.jpg

you can imagine the comments :laugh:

the girls are basically flipping out and all the guys are saying "it's so true"

i don't get why we can't agree that it's difficult for everyone! if it was so easy, half of us girls wouldn't have been so big our whole lives. guys, i know it's difficult for you too.
    smh.

edit: ah it got cut off. for guys it says "years of hard work at the gym many times a week and a strict diet with enough proteins and little fats and sugars.

Unfortunately, it isn't even remotely accurate. Men, by virtue of their larger lean body mass and abundant male hormones have a lot less trouble keeping body fat away. They have a much larger "margin of error" between their voluntary intake and their essential intake. Women have 2 to 3 times the amount of circulating leptin in their blood as do men AT THE SAME LEVEL OF BODY FAT. That leads to a much higher rate of leptin-resistance for women which precedes and predicts insulin-resistance if nothing is done to prevent it. Women have estrogen in abundance and that boosts their blood sugar and insulin levels. In addition, women take the birth control pill--which eliminates their natural progesterone. Natural progesterone has a thyroid enhancing effect at a cellular level. Synthetic progestins in the birth control pill, in addition to causing cancer, have no such thyroid enhancing effect. In addition, women have 3 to 4 times the thyroid gland dysfunction as men. That posting is incredibly hateful toward women. I hope the women put whoever posted it in his/her place. (Women can often be more judgmental than men on the subject of female obesity, unfortunately.) :frown:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You know I used to be one of those ppl that thought it was easy for people in general to look fit and it was genetics and I just got the bad gene. I was very critical of people who were fit and looked good women and men. Like all they had to do was sit there and look pretty. But now I realize how hard it really is and how time consuming it is and I have a whole new level of respect for the professional and amature Models/body builders even athletes both men and women becouse now I know how much it really takes. Mentally, physically and the amount of time required.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    This type of trolling is one of the many reasons I closed my facebook account. What an idiot!
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So now that I don't eat like a hippo, I DO look just like the woman in the picture:
    Thingeringer_zpsef671dd4.jpg
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So now that I don't eat like a hippo, I DO look just like the woman in the picture:
    Thingeringer_zpsef671dd4.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: