No Meat

Options
lhinds85
lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
Any suggestions on how to progress to a no meat lifestyle?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think I'd start swapping in meatless meals a few days a week and go from there. You may also want to sit and really think about all the plant based proteins that you like, I know that protein intake can be a problem for some vegetarians.
  • lhinds85
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to try and go meatless all day today and see how my body feels.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    buy a really good vege cookbook. you'll know you're on the right track when you find one with a section explaining have you need to replace the things meat provided.

bland food will have you craving bacon!
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a few years now and honestly went cold turkey on the meat thing. Are you still planning on having eggs and dairy? Excluding those and going vegan is going to require a lot more research.

If you're looking for a slower transition I would read up on vegetarian versions of some of your favorite meals and try them out. Also do some research on complete proteins. I eat a ton of nuts, legumes, eggs and dairy so protein isn't much of a struggle for me when I'm maintaining. I'm adding in vegetarian protein powder now just because I want to see what it does with my existing weight routine.

You'd be surprised how much protein does come from plant sources. The difference is it is not as readily available as that found in meat since meat is closest to the composition in our own muscles. (Obviously, after all meat is just something elses' muscle.) Different vegetarian sources will provide some, but not all, of the protein types needed so you need to combine them in your diet (that's what I mean by complete proteins).

Also, if you don't already you may want to start on a multivitamin. There are some vitamins like B's that you get from meat but not from the vegetables that are commercially available. These are vitamins found in soil but modern farming techniques destroy them. If you can get organic veggies you have a better chance at hitting all of your vitamin needs, but why chance it?
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Its much easier to do it one day at a time or one specific meal at a time i.e. all lunches meatless etc. Make sure you eat a balanced meal still and not just load up on carbs. I was vegetarian for 3+ years, and still choose that the majority of the time, but its hard cohabitating with a meat eater. It definitely makes me feel cleaner though when I choose to eat meatless meals!
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree, buy an awesome cookbook all about Veggie's! Also, pinterest has tons of recipes for vegans and vegetarians. Also, start buying meat substitutes. Costo has some awesome vegetarian sausage and chickpea patties that are amazing. Trader Joes is great too! Really any grocery store you can finds lots of good meat free stuff! Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Protein is usually the biggest problem when giving up meat.

Be sure to up your intake of protein rich vegetables like beans, tofu, nuts, seeds. Look for higher protein grains. If you are still eating eggs or dairy, greek yogurt, eggs and cheese can be good protein sources. There are also vegan protein powders available if you find it hard to get enough protein without meat.
  • lhinds85
    Options
    I'm not going vegan. I will still eat eggs & dairy. Thank you all for the help. I will look into a good cookbook today. I have some protein powder at home but i dont know if it plant based guess i need to check that out.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When I was vegetarian I did it cold turkey. Woke up one day and realized I didn't want to eat meat anymore (it had always sort of grossed me out anyway). As others have mentioned you gotta make sure you get enough protein - eggs, cheese, nuts and nut butters, greek yogurt, protein powder, veggie meats, and whole grain products were staples for me. I drank 1-2 protein shakes every day and always got plenty of protein. I also started taking a multivitamin to help with any vitamins I may have been missing out on from meat.

In the long term I didn't find the vegetarian life sustainable, not because I missed meat but because my body wasn't reacting well to it (but that's another story). For most people its' completely do-able, and I found it to be a very enjoyable lifestyle. Good luck!!
  • Rocksham
    Rocksham Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live book. I have been vegan with a little animal products a week for almost a year. I have lost 60 lbs and fell great. I found that even steaks taste yucky now! I went vegan over about a weeks time. Also, deleted the 5 white deaths from my diet. White flour, salt, sugar white fat, dairy. I did have withdrawal symtoms for about three days. I think just from all the junk my body was getting rid of. Friends started meatless one day a week and progressed to more meatless days.You still have to watch portions though. If I don't and binge on "vegan" foods, I gain weight. Good luck!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to progress to a no meat lifestyle?

Stop eating meat.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just stop eating meat. See that burger, don't eat it.
    That's how I did it. No need to make this more complex than it is. :drinker:
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a few years now and honestly went cold turkey on the meat thing. Are you still planning on having eggs and dairy? Excluding those and going vegan is going to require a lot more research.

If you're looking for a slower transition I would read up on vegetarian versions of some of your favorite meals and try them out. Also do some research on complete proteins. I eat a ton of nuts, legumes, eggs and dairy so protein isn't much of a struggle for me when I'm maintaining. I'm adding in vegetarian protein powder now just because I want to see what it does with my existing weight routine.

You'd be surprised how much protein does come from plant sources. The difference is it is not as readily available as that found in meat since meat is closest to the composition in our own muscles. (Obviously, after all meat is just something elses' muscle.) Different vegetarian sources will provide some, but not all, of the protein types needed so you need to combine them in your diet (that's what I mean by complete proteins).

Also, if you don't already you may want to start on a multivitamin. There are some vitamins like B's that you get from meat but not from the vegetables that are commercially available. These are vitamins found in soil but modern farming techniques destroy them. If you can get organic veggies you have a better chance at hitting all of your vitamin needs, but why chance it?

This. I went vegetarian in one day in the mid 90s because I just couldn't stand meat any longer, though I had been cutting down of it for several years without realizing it. But not everyone can do that. If you feel great and you're not craving meat at the end of your meatless day, you'll probably have no problem converting to a meat-free life. But if the cravings kick in, just concentrate on one meal a day for a while, then up your meatless meals to two a day, etc.

I've never regretted being a vegetarian. The only time I've even come close to missing it is when I smell a really good BBQ and that's only because I love BBQ sauce. Which I can use on non-meat things (so good with tofu - really).
  • wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 17 years, and have never had an issue with protein. If you eat dairy and eggs, you will find it is easy to get protein. Be careful of the frozen vegetarian patties. I used to eat them all the time, until I realized how much sodium is in them. I have been staying away from them and eating spinach salad a lot. I live with three meat eaters, and I just eat the side dishes. For example, if we make rice, fresh steamed veggies, and chicken for dinner, I substitute cottage cheese for the chicken. I measure everything of course, but it works out well. I do eat seafood sometimes, but not often. I don't eat meat because I lost the taste for it when I was in college and it gets stuck in my teeth! lol Good luck. You can friend me if you want and see my diary. I pack a lot into the day and stay within my calories!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    What about the new book out, Vegan before 6. After seeing the author on several programs I realized I am about the exact opposite. I have cheese and eggs for breakfast, then eat hardly anything but vegetables and grains the rest of the day.

Becoming vegetarian 20 years ago contributed to my obesity. I relied too heavily on cheese and bread for my meals.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you aren't giving up eggs or dairy, just go for it. Make sure you have plenty of plant based proteins on hand, and most veggies can supply that, so that you don't turn to junk or processed foods. It has been almost a year for me and I've managed pretty well. Try it for a week, if it works for you, keep it going.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I started with Meatless Monday. Then slowly ate less & less meat.

I have been meatless since the beginning of February this year. It has not been as hard as I suspected. I like cooking and there are lots of great web pages devoted to vegetarian & vegan cooking.

A good place to start is the Engine2 diet. There is also the No Meat Athlete and Sharan-india.org (The web site of a friend of my wife). All of these offer great suggestions on what to eat.

Personally, I have found the most difficult part of not eating meat is my family. Not to criticize!!! But, my children (young adults) and my wife are not on board with my choice. They are not at all critical, but they are not willing to give up meat. As I was raised eating meat there have been times when I have had to leave the house, usually to go to the gym, as my family were having burgers or steaks. Just like an alcoholic craves the taste of alcohol. The smell of a steak or burger cooking still makes me salivate.

In the end, this is my choice and my struggle.

Good luck with your choice. Like most things in life, the benefits are worth the effort!
  • wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started with Meatless Monday. Then slowly ate less & less meat.

I have been meatless since the beginning of February this year. It has not been as hard as I suspected. I like cooking and there are lots of great web pages devoted to vegetarian & vegan cooking.

A good place to start is the Engine2 diet. There is also the No Meat Athlete and Sharan-india.org (The web site of a friend of my wife). All of these offer great suggestions on what to eat.

Personally, I have found the most difficult part of not eating meat is my family. Not to criticize!!! But, my children (young adults) and my wife are not on board with my choice. They are not at all critical, but they are not willing to give up meat. As I was raised eating meat there have been times when I have had to leave the house, usually to go to the gym, as my family were having burgers or steaks. Just like an alcoholic craves the taste of alcohol. The smell of a steak or burger cooking still makes me salivate.

In the end, this is my choice and my struggle.

Good luck with your choice. Like most things in life, the benefits are worth the effort!

I still love the smell of steak/burgers cooking and I have not had one since 1996! I totally agree with you....
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey for the win! Honestly, if you just drop it and push through the first few weeks of cravings (because you'll have cravings I promise) you'll be through the door and ready to embrace your new awesome meatless lifestyle. Definitely research healthy meal options and make sure to balance your metrics (fats, PROTEIN, iron, CARBS, etc) and definitely consult with your doctor about a mulitvitamin that is good for you personally. Oh and avoid processed meat replacements. They are great for the occasional meal, but shouldn't be the bulk of your diet.
    I know alot of people recommend slowly transitioning, but from all of the dozens of friends I've had that tried it that way, they have had more relapses (odd word but hey) than the people I know that just went for it.

I became a vegetarian when I was 14 years old after decade of heavy meat eating (my family loves steak). If I can do it, you can too! I'm lacto-ovo and haven't given into a craving ever. It can be done. :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who posted about finding a good cookbook, with balanced meals. I've seen too many "french fry vegetarians" who replace meat with french fries, plain pizza and lots of pasta, because well, they're meat-free, right? They end up heavier than they were before they went veg.

Totally the wrong way to go about it.

Having been vegetarian, I speak from experience when I say 1) use a variety of veggies and 2) there are a LOT of great, hearty, healthy veg options out there. If you like spicy foods, there are a slew of amazing veg recipes with heat.

THIS one is my all-time favorite...

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-senegalese-peanut-stew-with-spinach-and-sweet-potatoes-450696

(Now I have to add sweet potatoes to the grocery list...)