gym time messing with meal times

Options
hi all

right heres the thing i go to fitness classes some nights for 1 hour from 7 till 8 so i cant eat before i go coz obv i will get a stitch but by the time i get home and showerd ect its 9oclock which is quite unhealthy to have a big meal

i have recieved some advice which was to have my big meal in the afternoon and then if im hungry when i get back have a smaller less fatty mean e.g cerial

just wondering if thats true

rachael

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Theres a decent rule my friend lives by and has lost a lot of weight from it

Eat like a King at Breakfast, A Queen at lunch and a Princess at dinner.

:) Could help in your situation! :)
  • ecgravatt
    ecgravatt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I keep my workouts between 5:30 and 7:30 just for this very reason!

On the days you go to this fitness class, I would have maybe a slightly larger than average lunch, and then have a high protein snack about 5pm. Not only can that count as your afternoon snack, it will help give you good fuel for your workout. I would also keep a snack with you to eat on the way home from the workout, along with a good amount of water.

The other thing you could do is have something in the fridge ready to go to eat immediately when you get home before you shower. I don't know how long your commute from gym to home is, but throwing together a salad with some already cooked chicken should take you 5 minutes maximum.

I always start cooking dinner immediately after the gym, then shower later.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Theres a decent rule my friend lives by and has lost a lot of weight from it

Eat like a King at Breakfast, A Queen at lunch and a Princess at dinner.

:) Could help in your situation! :)

I work out later (7-8pm) because that is what my schedule allows and generally eat like above- most in the morning/noon time, less in the afternoon and a light, late dinner (that always includes protein). I'm not hungry and i lose weight. From what my trainers and others have told me, this is not bad and won't keep you from losing weight. Apparently, according to some, the whole, "no eating after 7PM" is a fallacy or more meant to keep people from over-snacking. Generally, I come straight from the gym, have my light dinner (usually protein and veggies), and then shower, etc., and go to bed a few hours later.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Forget the 'late meal' advice IMHO.

If you go to the gym and train, you need fuel to repair the body. Eat when you get home and don't worry. Just don't snack afterwards are eat anything daft.

These days we can't always choose when we do things, so we should just try being sensible instead :) But yes, eat heavier at lunch and lighter for dinner.
  • trice
    trice Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a similar timing problem, mostly cause I work till 6:30 usually which isn't awesome. I've gotten in the habit of eating a good snack at 4:30 or 5 so I've got energy and I'm not starving at 8:45 or 9 when I'm wrapping up my P90X workout. The thing I've learned is that I really have to make my dinner super lean and heavy on low fat proteins to keep from blowing up my calorie count for the day. Just my two cents.