Body Pump to learn how to do free weights?

Options
MaddieUK
MaddieUK Posts: 11 Member
I would like to switch to using free weights, but I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and injure myself. Unfortunately there are no instructors at my gym who can help me either, and I don't have the funds to get a personal trainer. Could I join a body pump class to learn how to do free weights? I hope anyone can advise me!

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i would suggest deciding on what kind of program you want to do (NROLFW, Starting Strength, Stronglifts etc...) and then watch a ton of youtube videos. Body pump isn't going to help you with form all that much because they don't concentrate on individual corrections. and you will NEVER learn how to deadlift or squat the right way with that type of class.
  • MaddieUK
    Options
    i would suggest deciding on what kind of program you want to do (NROLFW, Starting Strength, Stronglifts etc...) and then watch a ton of youtube videos. Body pump isn't going to help you with form all that much because they don't concentrate on individual corrections. and you will NEVER learn how to deadlift or squat the right way with that type of class.

I had to Google NROLFW ;) Not quite sure what the advantage of every program is. Overall, I want to improve my muscle strength (obviously). I only have slight muscle definition in my arms and because I have knee problems, I need to train my leg muscles to handle the impact.

So I take it Body Pump is mostly a combination of cardio with some minor weightlifting, but doesn't do much in terms of building muscle strength?
    Which program would you recommend?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I had to Google NROLFW ;) Not quite sure what the advantage of every program is. Overall, I want to improve my muscle strength (obviously). I only have slight muscle definition in my arms and because I have knee problems, I need to train my leg muscles to handle the impact.

So I take it Body Pump is mostly a combination of cardio with some minor weightlifting, but doesn't do much in terms of building muscle strength?

Body Pump is pretty much circuit training which is pretty much cardio. You will gain some strength, but it will be pretty minimal. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to get started actually lifting.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I agree with lahoechst - Body Pump won't teach you what you need to know. It is mostly cardio and light weights, high reps. Is it a bad workout? Probably not. Is it lifting? Not really.

I would suggest Strong Lifts 5x5. I started on that program. It's simple, easy, quick and helps you get your form down on the major lifts (squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, and row). You start with low weights and work your way up. You can start with just the bar. There's also a nice iphone app to help track progress (and they are making an android app now).

I have the New Rules book. I decided against it because it was too complicated and time consuming for me. But a lot of women love the program, so you should probably read through it and decide for yourself.

As far as videos and books go - look for youtube videos by Mark Rippetoe. I find his videos to be great for explaining good form. His book "Starting Strength" is another great reference for form and technique. There's also a great group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" that can help answer questions. They have a section in the group where you can post videos of your lift to be critiqued on your form.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I also started with Stronglifts on LoraF83's advice. I have knee pain in one knee. I have found after 6 months, my knee is much stronger and I rarely have any pain at all. Follow the advice in Lora's post. You will not go wrong. I started at home with a weight bench and rack w/weights. The videos she recommended helped me learn correct form. Good luck. Good decision - you will never regret the changes your body will undergo!
  • MaddieUK
    Options
    Thanks, all great tips. I didn't know about that group (didn't even know there were groups on here ;) so I'll look them up.

A shame about Body Pump, it did seem like a very easy solution. I do Body Balance twice a week before I do my regular gym session, and I actually quite enjoy that and find that my core muscle strength is improving. Was hoping BP would be equally as beneficial.

Seems like I have some studying to do! Feel free to post any links to good YouTube videos.
  • MaddieUK
    Options
    I also started with Stronglifts on LoraF83's advice. I have knee pain in one knee. I have found after 6 months, my knee is much stronger and I rarely have any pain at all. Follow the advice in Lora's post. You will not go wrong. I started at home with a weight bench and rack w/weights. The videos she recommended helped me learn correct form. Good luck. Good decision - you will never regret the changes your body will undergo!

Thanks, it's good to know there's hope for my knees (been having problems all my life).
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com also has some great tutorials on proper mechanics
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Where I live I go to a gym with a class called Iron Reps -- likely very similar to Body Pump. It fits well into my life right now, so until I have the energy and time to devote to learning to lift "for real", I'm attending this class.

If you're a complete weakling like me, it is a GREAT place to start! I have upped my weights in all categories and I'm starting to feel more muscle in my calves and biceps, for example, than I ever have in my life. I have more functional strength and my husband has commented on how much more useful I am for helping to lift/carry things around at home.

Due to the high-rep nature of the class I doubt I'll be able to build much more strength, to be honest. But I do love that I'm retaining my muscle mass as I lose weight.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is far better than nothing, but probably not as effective as "true" lifting.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I agree with lahoechst - Body Pump won't teach you what you need to know. It is mostly cardio and light weights, high reps. Is it a bad workout? Probably not. Is it lifting? Not really.

I would suggest Strong Lifts 5x5. I started on that program. It's simple, easy, quick and helps you get your form down on the major lifts (squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, and row). You start with low weights and work your way up. You can start with just the bar. There's also a nice iphone app to help track progress (and they are making an android app now).

I have the New Rules book. I decided against it because it was too complicated and time consuming for me. But a lot of women love the program, so you should probably read through it and decide for yourself.

As far as videos and books go - look for youtube videos by Mark Rippetoe. I find his videos to be great for explaining good form. His book "Starting Strength" is another great reference for form and technique. There's also a great group on here called "Eat, Train, Progress" that can help answer questions. They have a section in the group where you can post videos of your lift to be critiqued on your form.

I also started with stronglifts. That website has some really great videos, and Mark Rippletoe's videos are fantastic at explaining the do's and dont's for specific lifts. After doing stronglifts for a few months, i've switched to doing a 3x5 with some accessory work as well. You said you wanted work on your strength, and these programs are designed for that purpose.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I know in my PUMP classes, the instructor doesn't like using dumbells, always ask everyone to grab a bar and plates. My sister tried to do it at home with DVDs using dumbells and found it somewhat difficult on some moves. She didn't like it.

I love Pump for sure, I did get stronger and lost some weight using it. I have noticed that for me personally I reached a point where it was time to hit the weight room for some more focused weight training.

I had to practice my form since in Pump, they did tell me how to do it BUT you move so quickly through the class that it's really hard to keep form and I see all the time people doing moves wrong. It's great circuit training (cardio & wts), and bad form didn't hurt me as long as I kept my wts light.

I'm just starting StrongLifts 5x5, it seems simple enough and an easy way to get to know the weight room.

Good luck!
    :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter