Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

rice replacement

I used to eat rice with my vegetables and beans, but an unfortunate occurence has made me unable to eat rice anymore. I am looking for a substitute that I can eat similar to rice.I know of a couple, like couscous, but the texture of that makes me gag. Any other ideas?

Replies

• Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Orzo, quinoa, barley. Also, have you tried pearl couscous - the grains are bigger and might be easier for you to handle the texture.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    I used to eat rice with my vegetables and beans, but an unfortunate occurence has made me unable to eat rice anymore. I am looking for a substitute that I can eat similar to rice.I know of a couple, like couscous, but the texture of that makes me gag. Any other ideas?
    Couscous is just pasta, so try a different one that doesn't make you gag.....btw what is the unfortunate occurrence you speak of, curious.
  • Peazwithin
    Peazwithin Posts: 41 Member
    I use califlower as substitute for rice in any dish that calls for rice. Just better for me. The califlower forks up or breaks up to act like rice.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Do a web search on "cauliflower rice". MUCH better for you than rice anyway.
  • cscheiern
    cscheiern Posts: 45
    Couscous is just pasta, so try a different one that doesn't make you gag.....btw what is the unfortunate occurrence you speak of, curious.

The unfortunate event was cooking a pot of rice and seeing it move. There were worms in it and I cant get that image out of my head so I cant eat rice anymore.
  • cscheiern
    cauliflower sounds good to try, and Ill look into other couscous. Thanks for the replies so far:smile:
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Lentils.

Esp puy (they are small greeny-black colour) you cook them with water, but the best way is to cook them with a little carrot, onion, celery, chopped bacon, mixed herbs in stock and wine. You can mix and match any of those extras. Dead good with roast veggies. Or some pan-fried tofu if you're veggie.

Red lentils also make a nice side dish for veg and beans, but they tend to break down to a more mash potato like texture.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Oh, why didn't you ignore neanderthin's request for more info re your unfortunate experience? :sad:
    It's called TMI.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65

The unfortunate event was cooking a pot of rice and seeing it move. There were worms in it and I cant get that image out of my head so I cant eat rice anymore.

That is very unfortunate, now i cant seem to get that image out of my mind LOL I also believe I'm done eating rice, so potatoes will be my new bff
  • cscheiern
    Oh, why didn't you ignore neanderthin's request for more info re your unfortunate experience? :sad:
    It's called TMI.
    Thats why I didnt put it in the original post:indifferent:
  • cscheiern
    Lentils.

Esp puy (they are small greeny-black colour) you cook them with water, but the best way is to cook them with a little carrot, onion, celery, chopped bacon, mixed herbs in stock and wine. You can mix and match any of those extras. Dead good with roast veggies. Or some pan-fried tofu if you're veggie.

Red lentils also make a nice side dish for veg and beans, but they tend to break down to a more mash potato like texture.
    I havent tried this, sounds promising!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    brown rice???
  • cscheiern
    brown rice???

still rice-same shape, cant do it
  • cscheiern
    Orzo, quinoa, barley. Also, have you tried pearl couscous - the grains are bigger and might be easier for you to handle the texture.
    I will look into these, thanks!
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    It's called TMI.

lol.... you are SO right...