1200 Calories (NOT about hitting this #/starvation mode)

Options

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Do you have less than 5% body fat? If you don't then you are not in true starvation mode!

You are losing weight on the calories you are eating, what is the point of upping them? No you are not in starvation mode at all. Just continue to do what you are doing, it is working a treat, why spoil it by changing it??

thanks, I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing....slow but steady wins the race (or in this case the skinny body back :laugh: )

Absolutely, you are doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I see this debate a lot too! I think it really depends on the person. I think the key is to lose a lb a wk. If you lose it faster, it's easier for it to come back. That said, we should be eating as much as we can to lose that. Because when we make it close to goal...you have to restrict even more, where are you gonna go after 1200? starve? Same with working out. If you just start working out, dont jump into doing an hr a day everyday, because what will you do when your body doesnt respond anymore? Habve to see how YOUR body responds. Those are my thoughts, but I also understnad that people want to lose fast. Patience! ( I need to take my own advice ; ) )
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I think this all makes sense but unfortunately my doctor does not so has put me on LESS calories i.e. 1000 with no exercise calories!!!!

Which is fine as you are under doctors control. Which I have read that if you drop your calories to 800-1500 a day you should only do so under medical advice.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Wanted to add. I see alot of "I am on 1200 a day AND losing weight" of course you will lose you will continue to lose too. BUT what happens when you reach your goal weight are you going to carry on at 1200??? From my understanding if you eat so low cals then when you go back to so called normal cal intake you are going to gain weight you lost and then some. My cal goal each day is 1520... I reach that and do go over which is made up from exercise calories. I feel this is something I can stick with for LIFE!! I am losing a pound + a week as well.
  • LotusF1ower
    Options
    Wanted to add. I see alot of "I am on 1200 a day AND losing weight" of course you will lose you will continue to lose too. BUT what happens when you reach your goal weight are you going to carry on at 1200??? From my understanding if you eat so low cals then when you go back to so called normal cal intake you are going to gain weight you lost and then some. My cal goal each day is 1520... I reach that and do go over which is made up from exercise calories. I feel this is something I can stick with for LIFE!! I am losing a pound + a week as well.

Of course you don't carry on, if you did you would continue to lose weight.

It all depends what the "so-called calorie intake" includes. Personally, I will be eating exactly the same foods as I do now except more of them. This is because the foods I am currently eating are my new life-changer, no chocolate, no cakes, sweets or crap. No, I do not miss any of them in the slightest, I feel tons better. Normal calorie intake varies from person to person and it is finding that and keeping to it that will include the most work and dedication in my opinion.

On another note, if you say about gaining weight and then some, that goes for ANYBODY that has lost weight and then goes onto the maintenance in that case, but as we all know, thousands keep their weight off. As you rightly state, it is indeed, a life-changer, not a "diet to lose weight and then go back to eating what I used to".

The reason why people who have lost weight and then gain it all back is absolutely nothing to do with the amount of calories it took to lose the weight in the first place, it is to do with what the person eats afterwards - it usually involves returning back to their old eating ways that got them overweight in the first place.

A massive education is needed regarding losing weight and then maintaining it and for a start, all fad diets and any "get slim quick" scheme should be the first things that are warned against. Unfortunately, those exact same ideas are the ones backed by celebrities that put their names to the products in return for cash.

It is a dog eat dog world out there, I, for one, do not intend to feed their coffers and will continue to lose the weight with common sense and will do the same with maintenance.

I am losing weight on 1200 calories per day, I rarely eat any of my exercise calories, I exercise four times per week and am not losing muscle but fat. My inches are decreasing, my dress size is almost on the next one down, I feel fit, healthy, alert mentally and full of enthusiasm for life and long may it stay that way. When I eventually have lost all my weight, I will be eating all my exercise calories, weighing and measuring myself once per week to keep tabs on what is happening. I will always log what I eat and drink, but most importantly I will never revert back to my terrible eating habits that I possessed before this weight loss journey. My dietary intake in those days were for a fool and I am no longer that person :wink:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wear a Bodybugg, so I'm fortunate to know, within 10% accuracy, what my caloric expenditure is each day. Because of that, I don't use MFP the way most people do (I set my own calorie intake and do not log my exercise calories)...I determine my own deficit each day based on how many calories I've burned.

On average, I burn between 2700-3000 calories/day. If I ate 1200, I truly would pass out onto the ground. Okay, maybe not, but I certainly wouldn't be fueling my body for the work I ask it to do. I do, however, maintain a 500-900 calorie deficit, sometimes eating to my full calorie expenditure on days when my calorie burn is lower (zig zagging calories to keep my body 'guessing.')

I'm also 5'9", and right around 20% body fat. I still have weight to lose, but I am able to eat 2000 calories/day and still hit my 1+ lb/week loss. When I first joined MFP, it told me eat right around 1550 calories. Tried it...way too low...I kept crashing in my workouts.
  • clover7
    clover7 Posts: 15
    Options
    I wear a Bodybugg, so I'm fortunate to know, within 10% accuracy, what my caloric expenditure is each day. Because of that, I don't use MFP the way most people do (I set my own calorie intake and do not log my exercise calories)...I determine my own deficit each day based on how many calories I've burned.

On average, I burn between 2700-3000 calories/day. If I ate 1200, I truly would pass out onto the ground. Okay, maybe not, but I certainly wouldn't be fueling my body for the work I ask it to do. I do, however, maintain a 500-900 calorie deficit, sometimes eating to my full calorie expenditure on days when my calorie burn is lower (zig zagging calories to keep my body 'guessing.')

I'm also 5'9", and right around 20% body fat. I still have weight to lose, but I am able to eat 2000 calories/day and still hit my 1+ lb/week loss. When I first joined MFP, it told me eat right around 1550 calories. Tried it...way too low...I kept crashing in my workouts.

How do you burn that many calories per day?
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You are absolutely right! It stands to reason that a bigger body than mine needs more calories than I'm eating to function. I set my goal to lose 1 pound a week and ate most my exercise calories (within 50-100). I lost 20 pounds in 4 months. That may seem really slow to some people but I'm less likely to gain it all back by doing it that way.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

How do you burn that many calories per day?

Clover...in general, it's lifestyle. I'm simply one of those people who stays fairly active. During most of the year (not summers), I'm a school teacher, and by being on my feet all day and helping the kiddos, I burn a lot there. However, it's summer, and my typical 'burns' come from a daily dog walk of about 75 minutes (I get right around 500 calories there), and a daily 45ish minute workout (I'm doing a hybrid of ChaLean Extreme and Turbo Fire).

Yesterday, my burn was 3195 calories. My dog walk was short (45 minutes), I did a 45 minute Turbo Fire workout, pulled weeds for about 15 minutes, ran the vacuum, but other than that, didn't do much.

I'm finding that the current fitness rotation I'm doing has increased my daily burn rate by about 200 calories/day as well. There is a so-called 'afterburn' effect from HIIT training...I suppose that could be it. I strength train 3 days/week and try to carry as much lean muscle mass as I can (which will increase your metabolic burn rate).

A year ago I was doing P90X doubles (I added an extra cardio workout in 3 mornings/week), and would get similar 3000+ burns on those doubles days as well. I'm also 5'9" and 170 lbs....interestingly, I'm a good 2 sizes smaller (pants size) than I was 5 years ago when I got married and weighed 165 lbs.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I see this debate a lot too! I think it really depends on the person. I think the key is to lose a lb a wk. If you lose it faster, it's easier for it to come back. That said, we should be eating as much as we can to lose that. Because when we make it close to goal...you have to restrict even more, where are you gonna go after 1200? starve? Same with working out. If you just start working out, dont jump into doing an hr a day everyday, because what will you do when your body doesnt respond anymore? Habve to see how YOUR body responds. Those are my thoughts, but I also understnad that people want to lose fast. Patience! ( I need to take my own advice ; ) )

Have you lost a great deal of weight and maintained?

The ONLY way to regain weight lost, whether is was a fast or slow loss is to eat poorly and in excess. Period. There is no way you can regain if you consume proper portions of healthy foods forever. I lost mine quickly, and will be damned if I gain it back. Again: Determination, Consistency, Willpower, Mindful Eating Forever. They keys to maintenance. Don't hinder those beginning their journey!

You can lose quickly & lastingly, it is all depending on your personal strength and psyche.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, now I CONFUSED.....I have been eating the 1200 calories that MFP recommends and am SLOWLY losing weight. I just calculated my BMR, right here on MFP, and it comes up 1,602.....so should I be eating 1.602 calories plus my exercise calories? Will that make the weight come off faster because I'm really in starvation mode now and just don't know it????

Do you have less than 5% body fat? If you don't then you are not in true starvation mode!

You are losing weight on the calories you are eating, what is the point of upping them? No you are not in starvation mode at all. Just continue to do what you are doing, it is working a treat, why spoil it by changing it??

Please provide a source for this "statistic".
  • LotusF1ower
    Options
    Sooooo, now I CONFUSED.....I have been eating the 1200 calories that MFP recommends and am SLOWLY losing weight. I just calculated my BMR, right here on MFP, and it comes up 1,602.....so should I be eating 1.602 calories plus my exercise calories? Will that make the weight come off faster because I'm really in starvation mode now and just don't know it????

Please provide a source for this "statistic".

The statistic comes from the Minnesota experiment:

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

For those that do not want to go to the site, excerpt from the article below:
    We all know (especially those who are familiar with fasting) that if you were to stop eating completely and just live on pure water, you would start to lose weight almost instantly and would continue to do so.

But according to this theory of the "starvation mode," if you were really in it and you fasted, by its own rational you would lose less weight if any at all, not more. We know this is not accurate.

So, where did this myth come from?

There is a true phenomenon known as the starvation response and it is well documented in the Minnesota Starvation experiments and the Hunger Fasts that have been studied. However, it only happens in humans when they lose enough body fat that they fall below the level of essential fat. In a man, this would be below around 5% fat and in women just above that.

Most humans will look like holocaust survivors at that time. Here is a picture of some of the subjects from the famous Minnesota Starvation experiments from the 1940s. Even at this point, after months of a low calorie diet with heavy exercise, they were not yet in the so-called "starvation mode" where they experienced significant metabolic changes. If you have more weight/fat on you then them, then neither are you

The weightwatchers research department does not go with the idea of starvation mode at all:

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=29241

The article below does not mention 5% body fat thing, but it does say about the whole starvation mode being a myth:

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/the-truth-about-starvation-mode-fast-metabolisms-983959.html

People can choose to believe or not believe the starvation mode, it is totally their choice, but the phrase is bandied about all too freely. For crying out loud, some people are so scared they are going into starvation mode when they haven't eaten for six hours!!! Absolutely ludicrous, what the hell do they think happens when they sleep? :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think there is an awful lot of mis-education going around about what "starvation mode" or nutritional deprivation (which is what I'm going to start calling it) is. In my opinion it is just as irresponsible to tell people there is NO such thing as it is to tell them they'll go into it after a mere 6 hours of not eating. Unless someone is a licensed dietician, in which case, I defer to their greater knowledge.

To get more information on the Minnesota Starvation study - read http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/6/1347 (Journal of Nutrition) and another very informative post on this study and starvation in general - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
  • LotusF1ower
    Options
    I think there is an awful lot of mis-education going around about what "starvation mode" or nutritional deprivation (which is what I'm going to start calling it) is. In my opinion it is just as irresponsible to tell people there is NO such thing as it is to tell them they'll go into it after a mere 6 hours of not eating. Unless someone is a licensed dietician, in which case, I defer to their greater knowledge.

To get more information on the Minnesota Starvation study - read http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/6/1347 (Journal of Nutrition) and another very informative post on this study and starvation in general - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

I've just told you where I got my information from, it isn't fly-by-night sources you know :laugh:

To be honest, you find it irresponsible, well I find it just as nauseating for people to be continually told "eat more to lose weight" - I mean for crying out loud if that were the case none of us would be overweight in the slightest.

There are some terms that are continually used as excuses to eat more and feel okay about it and THEN moan when no weight comes off, then they ask why on the forums only to be told to "eat even more"

Some things some of us believe in, some things some of us don't, we all have our opinions, but I don't see why I should stay closed mouth about something I consider untrue anymore than I would consider you to stay quiet about something you are against.
  • purplehorizon
    purplehorizon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here but I wondered about the 1200 calorie per day total too. I have noticed that when I put in my exercise, I'm allowed more calories. So since I burn between 500-700 calories per day, it's added to the amount I can eat. That helps me a lot because I do go over the 1200 but I've never gone past 1700.

My job is pretty sedentary plus I eat every hour and half/two hours. But now it's a handful of almonds, yogurt or an apple instead of the candy, chips, etc.

I also write out my menu for the day in advance and that's what I take to work. It's when I get home is the toughest time to stick to it but so far I stick with my menu.

Wow I hope that wasn't to repetitious of what others have said. I guess I just wanted to put my two cents in :-D
  • lee112780
    Options
    Belina....I agree with you. Mentally...you have to learn new habits, and when people diet, and lose fast, they can easily break those habits since they haven't been doing them for very long. They get off their diet, and back to their old ways.
    I lost 70 lbs (took a yr) and maintanied for 10 yrs, but have gained back 30 recently...which is why I'm here. But, I knew what I was doing while I was doing it. Unfortunatly, fear of gaining, at that time didn't bother me.
  • lee112780
    Options
    Belina...By the way...I don't mean to be negative or anything, but it is ALWAYS possible to gain the weight back...trust me..ten yrs ago, I said the SAME thing, and I did a good job at keeping it off for awhile....but, life happenes and things change. Once you are overweight, that person is always inside you and can always creep her lil ugly head back up! I hope you are able to keep it off and congrats on your weight loss.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Belina...By the way...I don't mean to be negative or anything, but it is ALWAYS possible to gain the weight back...trust me..ten yrs ago, I said the SAME thing, and I did a good job at keeping it off for awhile....but, life happenes and things change. Once you are overweight, that person is always inside you and can always creep her lil ugly head back up! I hope you are able to keep it off and congrats on your weight loss.

Of course, anything is possible, that goes without saying! But what doesn't, is the type of woman I am... stubborn, ruthless, and relentless. 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, it doesn't matter. If you knew me, you'd know I'd have to die before quitting something of value to me. Life has been happening the past few months, but what I put into my mouth doesn't change. How's job loss, move across the country, financial hardship, for "life happening"? lol! Mind over matter ALWAYS.

Let's remember this is a weight loss board, and to suggest that gaining is inevitable, is simply detrimental to those reading.

p.s. I killed that overweight b!tch inside me last year :laugh:

Stay focused on your journey everyone :flowerforyou:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think people need to worry less about starvation mode and think more about increasing their metabolism the natural way. Following this plan to the letter has allowed me to increase my metabolism. I am actually eating more calories now than I did when I was overweight. The difference is that I'm exercising and eating healthy calories most of the time.
  • JoThrive
    JoThrive Posts: 4
    Options
    This is an interesting thread.

But let's factor in age, too. I am a senior citizen, I lost weight while in my 70s, I am now maintaining my weight loss and I am 84. My total weight loss was slightly over 60 lbs.

Metabolism slows down as we age. We all know that. However we can lose weight at as senior citizens, it just takes more effort.

I followed the Richard Simmons healthy eating and exercise plan. It is basically an exchange program, but it figured out to be approximately 1400 calories per day in the beginning and dropped to 1200 calories per day as the weight dropped off.

The point I am making is that we are all individuals. What works for one, won't necessarily work for another.

I found the solution that worked for me.