Protein Shake Additives

Options
Hello! I recently bought a chocolate peanut butter flavored protein mix. I wonder if anyone had any ideas for what would make the taste better but still keep it fairly healthy.

Thanks!

Replies

• osupike35
    osupike35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk with all of my protein shakes.
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    what about blending it with a banana?
  • hannahlang85
    hannahlang85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Any fruit... bananas, strawberries and/or blueberries. I also add flaxseed and wheatgerm to mine for added vitamins and minerals!! Great way to get your fiber in as well :) Also try sugar free yogurt.
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That sounds good!!!!!
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    Any fruit... bananas, strawberries and/or blueberries. I also add flaxseed and wheatgerm to mine for added vitamins and minerals!! Great way to get your fiber in as well :) Also try sugar free yogurt.

I didn't even think of bananas...thanks!

By the way...your back muscles are amazing!
  • hannahlang85
    hannahlang85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Aww thank you... it's tough work I tell ya!!!!!
  • jmlopez1969
    jmlopez1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes bananas are excellent in protien shakes!
  • ironweber717
    Options
    I use chocolate flavored protein and sometimes I mix it with orange juice as a recovery drink. Taste like an orange julius.
  • SFinn
    Options
    I use chocolate flavored protein and sometimes I mix it with orange juice as a recovery drink. Taste like an orange julius.

Hmm I never would have thought to mix those two. I'll have to try it!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    chia seed...excellent source of omega's (3, 6 and a little 9)
  • SFinn
    Options
    chia seed...excellent source of omega's (3, 6 and a little 9)

Chia seed? Where would you get that? Actually to be honest, what is that? I've never heard of it...
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Chia seed is, well, it's a seed used to make Chia pets. Seriously, it is! However, the seed itself is an excellent source of fiber and Omega 3s (smaller source of Omega 6 and Omega 9). I get mine at www.nutsonline.com and here's a link to the nutsonline page that explains some of the other benefits:

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium-new2.html

I was adding Flax seed into my oatmeal and smoothies for awhile, but realized that flax, while an excellent source of omega 6s, isn't such a great source of omega 3s. We tend to get sufficient omega 6s in our diet, but are generally low in 3s and 9s. Your body would like a healthy balance of all 3.
  • SFinn
    Options
    Chia seed is, well, it's a seed used to make Chia pets. Seriously, it is! However, the seed itself is an excellent source of fiber and Omega 3s (smaller source of Omega 6 and Omega 9). I get mine at www.nutsonline.com and here's a link to the nutsonline page that explains some of the other benefits:

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium-new2.html

I was adding Flax seed into my oatmeal and smoothies for awhile, but realized that flax, while an excellent source of omega 6s, isn't such a great source of omega 3s. We tend to get sufficient omega 6s in our diet, but are generally low in 3s and 9s. Your body would like a healthy balance of all 3.

You seriously just made me laugh with that one. The seed used to make Chia pets. :)

Interesting. I really don't know much about the omegas, except that their good for us. I'll have to research it a little bit. Thanks!