Favorite Soup!? Fav Homemade, Fav Canned??

SweetMegz04
SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
I am going shopping tonight for some soups to bring to work for Lunches!
What's your favorite soup? Canned, Homemade... all types!!

I am going with Canned right now for work, for that "oops forgot my lunch" meal!

Recipes are welcome!!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    I like New England Clam Chowder, Traditional Chicken Noodle, and Broccoli Cheddar.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    The only canned soup I like (guilty pleasure) is Progresso Light New England Clam Chowder.

I try to stay away from canned soups though, for obvious reasons.

Homemade soups are sooooooo easy to make, and you can make a huge batch that lasts all week.

I make 2 soups and switch them up every other week - homemade chicken soup and lentil soup.

For the chicken soup I boil up 2 big chicken breasts and 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs in 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth, celery and onion (I remove them later), and spices like parsley, bay leafs, oregano, garlic. I like to simmer the base for a few hours with the chicken in it. Then I remove the chicken and shred it. I also take out a cup or so of the base before I put the chicken in to use later.

Later in the day I'll make a bag of frozen veggies (I like the roma blend which is zucchini, carrots, lima beans, and cauliflower) and using the base I put aside I'll puree all of them together, then throw them back in the soup. Not only does it thicken the soup, but pureeing them removes alot of the veggie taste which my kids would never eat if they knew what veggies were in there. LOL

Sometimes I'll drop in homemade dumplings and cook them in the soup 20 minutes before serving.

The lentil soup is similar at the beginning. I do the same thing with the veggies too. However I do take out about 1/2 the lentils and puree them as well. I leave some in there whole. Lentils don't have to be cooked very long, 45 minutes is all it really takes. I like to throw in (low calorie) turkey sausage or chicken hotdogs for protein.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    My fave canned soup is Amy's organic soups. Lentil is my favorite and black bean is pretty good as well.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    My new favorite soup is homemade Potato Leek Soup. I make this about every other week. An 8oz. bowl is only about 150 calories or so... and it's thick and yummy, and stays well in the fridge for about 5 days or so. I make mine w/o cream or milk, and it's plenty tasty, plenty thick! This recipe below makes a huge pot! It's basically just veggies (leek, potato and onion, with a few extra add-ins for flavor).
    I've made this with about 1lb each of leek and potato - just saute the leeks (white and light green only) and onion in some butter for about 10 mins, then add in your liquid and potatoes, boil until potatoes are tender. Transfer to blender and blend- add in other stuff to taste. SOOOO Good!

2vwcow6.jpg

30ms6tw.jpg

2w3nvb7.jpg
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    I like anything from Progresso, besides plain vegetable.
    Taco Soup is a winner at my house (but isn't exactly calorie friendly).
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Campbell's Chunky Chicken Noodle the way the made it in the 80's. *kitten* changed the recipe and now the soup of my childhood, my perfect comfort food, is no more. :frown:
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Lentil soup is my fav and so easy to make...

Dried lentils (or canned if you're in a hurry) and whatever other veggies you want to add.
    Suggestions: Sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, mushrooms.... I've even added chopped kale.

You can fry up some onions & garlic and add that too.
    Add a bay leaf or two.

Add 4 cups low sodium veggie broth (or water) (or more depending on the size of your batch).
    Bring to a boil & simmer until all cooked.
    Remove Bay leaves
    Allow to cool and then puree.

Secret Ingredient: Chop up an Italian seasoned Tofurky into little bits and stir into the soup after it's pureed. (OMG - it adds so much flavour!)

Package in 1 cup servings and freeze in ziplocs.
    Makes great lunches when you've forgotten to prepare one the night before!
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    My new favorite soup is homemade Potato Leek Soup. I make this about every other week. An 8oz. bowl is only about 150 calories or so... and it's thick and yummy, and stays well in the fridge for about 5 days or so. I make mine w/o cream or milk, and it's plenty tasty, plenty thick! This recipe below makes a huge pot! It's basically just veggies (leek, potato and onion, with a few extra add-ins for flavor).
    I've made this with about 1lb each of leek and potato - just saute the leeks (white and light green only) and onion in some butter for about 10 mins, then add in your liquid and potatoes, boil until potatoes are tender. Transfer to blender and blend- add in other stuff to taste. SOOOO Good!

You're my hero. I was just searching for a good potato leek recipe (because the canned junk is just so salty it kills my stomach nowadays) and this is now my dinner. Thanks doll!!

**Editted to address the OP because I got distracted by the above. lol **

I love cabbage vegetable soup. I don't even really have a set recipe honestly because its such a good throw together.
    I make it two ways though..the cabbage soup version is usually just cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, vegetable stock, water and seasonings to taste. If I want a vegetable cabbage soup I add in potatoes and tomato juice/tomatoes. Of course, you can put any other veggies that you enjoy and the caloric intake is typically under 200. The one I made the other day was around 80 for a large bowl full. :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    none
    watch the soduim too
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    I don't do canned soups, but I do use store and/or homemade broth and stock!

Personal favorites:-
    Cream of Mushroom
    French Onion
    New England Clam Chowder
    Lobster Bisque

(yes I am a sucker for creamy soups lol)
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Progresso Light Hearty Tomato. I had it for the first time last night and it was aaaamazing! I am going to buy a ton of it next time I go to the grocery store.
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    At the moment, it's Coconut Kale soup and Thai Coconut soup. Trader Joe's has some great soup boxes...my favorites are Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Low Sodium. I have a copycat rcipe for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana that is amazing. I use turkey Italian sausage and cut back on the potatoes. You just have to watch out for the sodium in soups. :)
  • awesome_inferno
    awesome_inferno Posts: 58 Member
    I had Costco Chicken Tortilla Soup last night and it was soooooo good! I added onions to it. My avocado wasn't ripe enough or I would have put some in it as well. Calories are good too for how filling it is! Didn't even need cheese! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/costco-chicken-tortilla-soup-61372186

http://soymakesmesick.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/2012-03-20-08-44-10-1.jpg
  • heroinnchic
    heroinnchic Posts: 15
    My FAVORITE soup of ALL TIME, is the kind my mom always made.

It's tomato sauce, and beef broth. Add beef stew meat, 'taters, corn, green beans, sliced carrots, diced tomatoes, and onions. Little salt and a good bit of pepper. IT'S SO GOOD. I could eat like 3 bowls of it.

Canned soups are the nastiest! Why eat something that was designed to last for years? Not just because of the can, but the preservatives in it..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    favourite homemade soup.... one that my Algerian friend makes... traditional Algerian food usually made for breaking the fast during Ramadan

favourite tinned soup - Heinz cream of tomato soup. Has to be Heinz, other companies don't make tomato soup that tastes quite the same.

of course the Algerian homemade one is 100x better, but Heinz tomato soup is Heinz tomato soup....
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    I make my own and they really don't take that much time. Once I make them, I freeze them in individual servings.

Homemade beef veggie:
    2 large cans tomato sauce
    2 cans water
    1 bag mixed vegetables (I love the gumbo style)
    A couple tablespoons Texas Pete
    1 pound hamburger
    1 teaspoon sugar
    salt to taste

Homemade potato with carrot:
    6 potatoes and one carrot cut and boiled to soft (do not drain the water, you will use it in the soup)
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 cups 2% milk
    1 cup Shredded cheese (I use whatever I have on hand...Italian...colby jack...mozarella)
    6 teaspoons butter (you can omit this if you'd like, but I usually add it)
    Salt to taste
  • marysvea
    marysvea Posts: 1
    Soup sounds yummy and looks good. congrats on your awesome wt loss
    M:smile:
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    I try to avoid canned - but it does work well in a pinch - I like Progresso Italian Wedding.
    The Trader Joes soups in boxes (butternut squash, etc.) are awesome!

Made this in the winter and it was great - super fast and easy and not bad nutritionally speaking - esp if you use chicken sausage.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-sausage-soup/detail.aspx
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    I have a recipe for an Italian style (ie broth and tomato based) bean and veggie soup with orzo. Tasty, filling and healthy, and putting it over a bed of quinoa....holy cow. I entered it into my "meals" here so I'd get an approx. cal count, but I don't know how to share that with the community. Anyone wanting the recipe, msg me with an email and I'll send it to you.

As far as canned goes, I really like Campbells "100% Natural" line, Butternut Squash bisque. It's about 220 cals for the whole can (because who only eats half a can of soup, seriously).
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable.