Fitbit, Jawbone, Fuelband, Polar, Amiigo?????

Options
Hey, I'm lost trying to decide which of these would be the one to invest in... Any suggestions out there, anyone tried any of them?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

^ This is a good read.

Personally, I have a fitbit zip. I got it on April 26 and according to the Calorie Burn vs Calories eaten data, I should have only lost 2.3lbs as of yesterday. But I have actually lost 6.1lbs.

It definitely encourages me to be more active. I also like the fact that it is easy to hide, so no one has to know I'm wearing it.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is the Jawbone it tracks your sleep and workout and with the app on your phone you can get the information and see how you spent you time hour by hour.

The bodymedia was also nice, but you have to pay for a subscription to get the information from the device so I stopped that one.

The fuelband is nice and without you can see if you are reaching your goals. The only thing is you can't see your hour expenditure unless you upload the information to the website. It also does not track you sleep and since I suffer from insomnia this the main thing I look for.

I have never tried the fitbit, but I hear people complain that they lose it because they leave it attached to their clothes from the day before.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    My personal favorite is the Jawbone it tracks your sleep and workout and with the app on your phone you can get the information and see how you spent you time hour by hour.

The bodymedia was also nice, but you have to pay for a subscription to get the information from the device so I stopped that one.

The fuelband is nice and without you can see if you are reaching your goals. The only thing is you can't see your hour expenditure unless you upload the information to the website. It also does not track you sleep and since I suffer from insomnia this the main thing I look for.

I have never tried the fitbit, but I hear people complain that they lose it because they leave it attached to their clothes from the day before.

Fitbit just released a Flex (armband version). Also both the One and Flex can track sleep. There is also a phone app. The Flex is also waterproof.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options

Fitbit just released a Flex (armband version). Also both the One and Flex can track sleep. There is also a phone app. The Flex is also waterproof.

Thanks for the info. I may need to check that one out also and see how I like it
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit Ultra (the older version of the "one") and I love it! I haven't tried any of the other ones, but I love that it interacts with MFP to update my calories burned, and I can just put it on and forget it. I DO know 2 people who have lost theirs from putting it on their pants pocket. I wear mine on my bra band between the cups everyday, so I can just forget it and no one sees it. But I know I won't lose it either, LOL!

I agree though, it DEFINITELY makes me more active, always trying to beat my high step days!!
  • skrentz
    skrentz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Love fitbit one. Had the ultra when if first came out and the ONE is sooo much better. It tracks everything I need, sleep, cals steps, miles, flights of stairs and syncs with MFP and has an app for iphone and android. My husband is getting one for fathers day!! IMO better than body media because you can easily hide it. I just tuck it in my bra and it is such a habit I have not missed a day
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP and love it. After calibrating the UP, it's now very accurate.

One selling point for me was that the band will vibrate if I've been inactive for X minutes. I set mine to 45 minutes and it went off a couple times today during my workday at my desk. That feature alone is worth the money to me.

I don't sync to MFP, so those capabilities aren't important to me. However, if syncing here is a main concern, the FitBit Flex or One probably have a leg up on the UP at this time.

If you don't like wearing something on your wrist, the FitBit One is the better solution. I wanted a wrist item because I didn't want to worry about losing the tracker or forgetting to bring it when I change for a workout (common issues). If you're sold on the FitBit system, the Flex goes on the wrist. I do like how you can change the bands to color match your clothes. :D

Right now the Fuelband is a toy. I hate saying it as I use the Nike+ system for running with my Sportwatch and fitness gaming with the kinect, but that FB has little use. However, the next one that's coming out will have a HRM and other stuff built in, so it will be better. So if you like the Nike+ idea/system, keep that in mind.
  • twestla70
    twestla70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

^ This is a good read.

Personally, I have a fitbit zip. I got it on April 26 and according to the Calorie Burn vs Calories eaten data, I should have only lost 2.3lbs as of yesterday. But I have actually lost 6.1lbs.

It definitely encourages me to be more active. I also like the fact that it is easy to hide, so no one has to know I'm wearing it.

I read the same article, and it was a close race between Jawbone Up & Fitbit. Utlimately, FitBit won me over since I wasnt crazy about the wrist band for work (wearing dresses etc/jewellery). That is the only reason though. I think you'd be happy with either. I love it! And my dog loves it!! I walk her more now, so I can earn calories! LOL!
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    There's no hiding a fitbit in my bra since there's no spot there for it... LoL... I had been sold on the Up, but then started researching a bit and was overwhelmed by what's out there!!!
    :-)
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. It does a great job of tracking my activity and my sleep. I wear it in my bra and I have only lost it once, and I didn't really lose it I forgot to put it back on after my bath. They have come out with a new model that you can wear on your wrist as well call Flex.

I also have the Aria scale. I bought them together after doing a lot of shopping around for both a scale and a tracker when I started my weight loss journey. Ultimately going with both fitbit items as opposed to getting a withings scale and a nike fuelband. I like having everything be automatic. I just step on the scale and it instantly goes to MPF.

I say go fitbit!
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
    There's no hiding a fitbit in my bra since there's no spot there for it... LoL... I had been sold on the Up, but then started researching a bit and was overwhelmed by what's out there!!!
    :-)

I keep mine right in the middle. Not on the cup or strap. depending on the bra i sometimes have to turn it upside down to clip it there but I find the space between the cups is ideal. No one knows its there and its hard to lose.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP.....I am gonna piggyback on your topic and ask a question......I was thinking of getting an hrm myself but then started reading about the fit bit and flex......am I understanding correctly that they will monitor me all day and give me a total burn? For the day......including any workout I did during the day? Or are they not meant for workouts? Yes I am slow on the tech uptake!
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Sorry OP.....I am gonna piggyback on your topic and ask a question......I was thinking of getting an hrm myself but then started reading about the fit bit and flex......am I understanding correctly that they will monitor me all day and give me a total burn? For the day......including any workout I did during the day? Or are they not meant for workouts? Yes I am slow on the tech uptake!

Yes, fitbit will give you an estimate of your total burn for the day. Depending on the type of workout you do will, depend on whether or not it is effective at tracking it.

Walking/Running - Works fine
    Dancing/Ellipticals/Biking/Ect - You probably want a HRM for
    Strength - well there is no accurate way to track that

I have a Fitbit zip($60) and Pyle HRM ($30). I would have got a Polar HRM and Fitbit One, but I'm on a tight budget.
  • erayne
    erayne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also have the Fitbit one and I love it! I wear it in the middle of my bra, you can't see it at all through my clothes. It really encourages me to be more active and it's nice to be able to sync it to MFP and also see daily results immediately!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Yes, fitbit will give you an estimate of your total burn for the day. Depending on the type of workout you do will, depend on whether or not it is effective at tracking it.

Walking/Running - Works fine
    Dancing/Ellipticals/Biking/Ect - You probably want a HRM for
    Strength - well there is no accurate way to track that

I have a Fitbit zip($60) and Pyle HRM ($30). I would have got a Polar HRM and Fitbit One, but I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks! it's my budget as well that has me still on the" fence post " so to speak.....I don't want to pay for something that will not do what I want it too!
  • Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I LOVE my Jawbone too!
  • Tylerrr
    Tylerrr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jump on the Amiigo this things going to blow away every other fitness band!! if it does what it says that is, but if it does and does it well damn its going to be amazing!
  • Wolfe1965
    Wolfe1965 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am waiting on the amiigo. The fit it looks nice but the heart rate monitor built into the amiigo makes it a no brainer
    for me.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma and went for Polar FT7. Love it.
    It boils down to what do you need it for. For me it was most important to know my exercise burn.