Shin Splints when walking

Options
I have begun to walk at my lunch hour and for some reason my shin's have begun to burn. I know they do this when I jog but never when I walked. This just started yesterday.

What can I do to prevent this?

Replies

• tlhong
    tlhong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try icing your shins once a day. It will help with pain the next time you walk also if you're having pain you can ice when you finish and that will help with immediate pain. Good luck!
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I had something akin to shin splints after jogging on uneven surfaces. Two weeks later, I can walk (first couple of days were painful) but I cannot run, even on the treadmill.

My advice would be to get ice on it whenever possible and NOT to overdo it - I went to gym and for cardio fix I cycled instead. Shin splints can get progressively worse if you subject them to the same level of exercise and can end up being very, very painful indeed. Some people say take painkillers, but personally I avoid them as it masks the true extent of the injury.
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Time for new shoes. Your shoes have probably lost the cushioning you feet need.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bad shoes, hard landing on your heels and weak shin muscles are usually the cause.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got new shoes and new insoles for them. Still get pain in the front of my legs when I try to push my speed. I don't run. Can't jog. But I'm trying to get high miles throughout the month. Wish I could go faster but I guess for now my body won't let me

37989412.png
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are continuing to run even though your shins are hurting. Don't ignore the pain. Your body is literally telling you to stop. Otherwise the pain can become permanent in simple walking motions. Takes a long time for this to happen and a real idiot to continue ignoring the pain.

Things you can do to protect your legs
    Never jog on hard surfaces such as concrete, never. You want to jog on gravel, sand, and specially made running tracks. Neighborhood grass isn't good either. Grass on a real soccer field or golf course is very good. Dirt trails are also ideal. Treadmills are made for running too.

The next thing you can do is build muscles in your legs. Joggers don't understand how important building muscles in the legs can be. The more muscles in your leg, the softer your landings will be. To get a better appreciation for your legs, you need to understand that your legs are dealing with around 300 pounds of pressure per leg for every impact strike when jogging. If you are running, it can be as high as 600 pounds. The number comes from Gravity multiplied by your Weight. A lot of this weight impact goes towards your knee and sometimes your shins depending on how you land. You want more of it to go towards your muscles. Build more muscles.

Last thing you can do is buy the right shoe for your type of feet depending on the size of your arch. It helps with your landing. There are 3 types of arches. Google over pronation and underpronation to get started on finding the perfect running shoes. Too much to explain.

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Get better shoes!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try indoor walking to DVDs like Leslie Sansone's line of walking DVDs after you allow your body to heal? It can be long impact and fast, and you can also incorporate upper body work with weights.
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    need new shoes, real shoes, and KT tape
    does wonders!

and plenty of ice during ur down time
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    need new shoes, real shoes, and KT tape
    does wonders!

and plenty of ice during ur down time
    this ^^^
  • itsjrsgirl
    itsjrsgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your great advice. Sounds like I need new shoes and I read in an article that strengthening my calf will help with preventing this!
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes? It's not about better, it's about getting the RIGHT ones. Find a store locally, a specialty running store or something, that offers free fittings. A 20-minute trip to a local shoe store cured years (YEARS) of constant shin splints within a week of buying one of the shoes they suggested specifically for my unintelligently designed feet.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    MBT shoes can work well for many people. Dual density sole acts like a shock absorber.
    I couldn't use them due to degenerative osteoarthritis in my big toe joints. But they definitely reduce shock transmission up the leg. I just couldn't take the way they directed pressure in my feet. But they are awesome for people with otherwise normal feet. Check the reviews on Amazon.