Your protein calories from supplements? How much of it?

Options
RobP1192
RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
To all out there,

I've been using protein supplements and meal replacement supplements since i was 16. So about ... 16 years ago. 1996. Back then, oh man, it was Met-Rx and Designer Whey. Tasted blah and didn't mix well without a good blender. Anyway... during all my years, I was never one to use a lot of protein powders or bars and consider it protein that "counted". So the only times i ever used like a protein powder was either as soon as i woke up in the morning, or after lifting weights at the gym. It was only within the last year, i've started taking a Muscle Milk RTD with me to work, and drink one of them a day.

I've read through numerous threads and checked out diary's of a lot of people. As a result, i have a question for everyone.

How much of your protein intake typically comes from a protein supplement? 50%? 30%? 20%?

- that guy Rob

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    About 30-40% of my protein intake comes from supplements. I use it at work because of limited space in the fridge to store extra food, but I can keep a shaker cup and protein powder in my desk. I take in about 250-285 g of protein/day, so about 90-120 grams come from supplements. I eat a lot of chicken and egg whites though, that's where most of the rest comes in.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    As much as needed. Protein supplements can be very high quality protein sources. Sometimes if I'm out of lean meats, it can take up to 60% of my daily protein intake, sometimes as little as 10%. They're supplements, so they should do exactly that. Supplement your protein when needed.

That's how I feel about the subject at least.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is not a supplement. It is food... If it is whey or casein it is derived from milk.

Do you consider toast food? it is derived from wheat
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    50-60%
  • gabinonunes
    gabinonunes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is really any set number for protein intake from shakes. I'd say for the most part you're better off eating a real meal than having a shake but thats not always convenient and thats where a protein shake will do the job just fine.
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    They're called supplements because you supplement them for protein you're not getting from your meals. Let's say you have a protein goal of 190g/day and one day you only at 100g of protein from meats/whatever so then I would take the other 90g from protein powders. One day I might eat only 165g of protein and get the remaining protein from a powder.

And yes it is technically a food but I wouldn't just grab a scoop of protein powder and snack on that.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i usually limit myself to 1-2 scoops a day (thats 12%-25%)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is not a supplement. It is food... If it is whey or casein it is derived from milk.

Do you consider toast food? it is derived from wheat

Ok. so for you. How much of your protein intake comes from powder form? does that help? Not trying to argue about whether it is food or not. I spoke for myself, saying i never counted it as real protein before. My question had nothing to do with that. Saving myself time from looking at every diary on this site, figured it would be easier to just ask how much people used supplements to help meet their protein requirements. Sorry for the confusion.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    They're called supplements because you supplement them for protein you're not getting from your meals. Let's say you have a protein goal of 190g/day and one day you only at 100g of protein from meats/whatever so then I would take the other 90g from protein powders. One day I might eat only 165g of protein and get the remaining protein from a powder.

And yes it is technically a food but I wouldn't just grab a scoop of protein powder and snack on that.
    I enjoy my meat(no homo) but at the same time the convenience of protein is fine. I would need to consume fat and carbs to make up my total meal. I am going to be in hawaii for 2 months and food here is expensive. On top of the daily fish tacos I am going to be consuming alot of protein shakes and fruits
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    0%

I eat around 155g of protein a day
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Less than 10%. I like to chew my food.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am limited to how much I can eat since surgery so I have either a pre made protein shake or make a protein smoothie for breakfast almost every day. This usually works out to half or a third of my overall intake. ~
  • lilc110
    lilc110 Posts: 10
    Options
    When I first started really working out regularly, I would have protein shakes 2x a day (after morning cardio and after evening weights). I really did it more for the taste of it. And then now, I only take it after I lift heavy. I try to get my source of protein more from grilled chicken, grass fed organic beef, fish and sometimes from quinoa or other plant protein. I think it helped me build lean muscle when I was using protein powder. I really use it more for convenience, especially if I'm short on time and have to eat on the fly. Hope that helps.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To all out there,

I've been using protein supplements and meal replacement supplements since i was 16. So about ... 16 years ago. 1996. Back then, oh man, it was Met-Rx and Designer Whey. Tasted blah and didn't mix well without a good blender. Anyway... during all my years, I was never one to use a lot of protein powders or bars and consider it protein that "counted". So the only times i ever used like a protein powder was either as soon as i woke up in the morning, or after lifting weights at the gym. It was only within the last year, i've started taking a Muscle Milk RTD with me to work, and drink one of them a day.

I've read through numerous threads and checked out diary's of a lot of people. As a result, i have a question for everyone.

How much of your protein intake typically comes from a protein supplement? 50%? 30%? 20%?

- that guy Rob

I only have 50g of protein a day coming from powder..only because i've grown to hate the taste of protein shakes
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Over time my diet has become a lot more protein efficient so I rarely suppliment anymore, I've got a bunch of powder just sitting in the cupboard.

But I do eat a protein bar for breakfast on weekdays. I don't really consider protein bars suppliments though, they are food. I also snack on them sometimes.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well if its just the powder and not including the milk I mix with then 40%
  • DatMurse
    Options
    To all out there,

- that guy Rob

I only have 50g of protein a day coming from powder..only because i've grown to hate the taste of protein shakes
    Its probably because your protein powder sucks