What video to do at home?

Options
TdaniT
TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
I have read so many posts about different exercise videos that I am not sure what I should get. I have been doing mostly cardio for my exercising for the past 7 months. I now want to start with strength training to round everything out. I have never lifted weights before. I haven't done anything considered strength training (besides the Wii Fit hahaha) since high school.

So, lay it on me....

30DS?
Beach Body?
Insanity?
P90?

I know that I can do all of these but I don't want to start with something that is way beyond me. What are your suggestions?

And I am obviously doing this at home so I need to buy some weights. I saw a set of 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb dumbbells. Will those work for a while or should I get heavier? I have seen the adjustable weights which seem like a good idea....thoughts?

Replies

• TdaniT
    Options
    bumpity bump bump bump :)
  • TdaniT
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm currently doing 30DS. I struggle with space on a couple of the moves but then I only have 1.6m x 2.5m floor space.
  • TdaniT
    Options
    I would have to move a couple of things to give me plenty of space but that I think I have. Is it hard to do for a beginner?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a good one to start with. It's difficult, but very doable. The 3, 5, & 8 lb weights will work well with it. (None of these videos are for weight lifting, more for resistance and endurance.) If you want to start lifting weights in the future, the adjustable ones might be a better buy, though.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have read so many posts about different exercise videos that I am not sure what I should get. I have been doing mostly cardio for my exercising for the past 7 months. I now want to start with strength training to round everything out. I have never lifted weights before. I haven't done anything considered strength training (besides the Wii Fit hahaha) since high school.

So, lay it on me....

30DS?
    Beach Body?
    Insanity?
    P90?

I know that I can do all of these but I don't want to start with something that is way beyond me. What are your suggestions?

And I am obviously doing this at home so I need to buy some weights. I saw a set of 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb dumbbells. Will those work for a while or should I get heavier? I have seen the adjustable weights which seem like a good idea....thoughts?

Just FYI, Insanity doesn't incorporate weights. It's pretty much major cardio with bodyweight resistance training in it.

What are your fitness goals? That would be helpful to know before anyone can really recommend an exercise program to you.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have seen the adjustable weights which seem like a good idea....thoughts?

Adjustable weights are awesome. I have a set that goes from 3 to 24lbs in 3lb increments. I wish I had gotten heavier ones.
  • TdaniT
    Options

So, lay it on me....

30DS?
    Beach Body?
    Insanity?
    P90?

Just FYI, Insanity doesn't incorporate weights. It's pretty much major cardio with bodyweight resistance training in it.

What are your fitness goals? That would be helpful to know before anyone can really recommend an exercise program to you.

Sorry, I always forget to add everything in my posts.

My goal is to be fit and healthy. I am working on my portion control with eating while not depriving myself of anything. I started "moving" by walking on a treadmill (cold outside at the time) and then completing the c25k program. Now I want to be able to tone as I lose weight. I the flab to be gone to put it simply. And right now, I want to try and do as much as I can without going to a gym.
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BOB Harper video set rocks.. you will need: yoga mat, weights, 5-10 max and lots of motivation to get thru it..
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is great for beginners (in my opinion), I actually gave this video to my mom to try (and she has never worked out in her life) and she can complete all the movements, still building up stamina on it though.

I am currently doing insanity. It is really challenging but I enjoy it. If you are easily discouraged, I wouldn't start with this because you may get overwhelmed but I think it is definitely worth doing after you have some confidence. I still take breaks during some of the videos to catch my breath and I have been doing it for awhile now.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com

This site sells hundreds of exercise videos & is a great resource when shopping for videos. You get video clips and reviews. Professionals have done the workouts & rated them for beginner, intermediate, etc. The info also includes equipment needed, impact level, choreography level (for cardio)

For strength training I like Kelly Coffey Meyer ...http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/kelly-coffey-meyer-exercise-videos-107

30 Minutes to Fitness Body Training is a DVD that uses your body weight ... no weights needed.

30 Minutes to Fitness Weights or 30 Minutes to Fitness Muscle Definintion for variety

FYI: 30 Day Shred is a circuit workout that combines cardio & strength training .... If you're a runner .... not sure if you want more cardio.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BOB Harper video set rocks.. you will need: yoga mat, weights, 5-10 max and lots of motivation to get thru it..

For anyone who likes Bob Harper .... Target has a 4 disc set for $14.99 ..... "Inside Out Method" ones
  • big9erfan
    big9erfan Posts: 10
    Options
    I did P90 at home before wanting to get back into a gym. It really worked well for me. I've seen a lot of people get great results from both P90/P90X and Insanity. I've not done Insanity so I can't give any comparison there.
  • TdaniT
    Options
    I have seen the adjustable weights which seem like a good idea....thoughts?

Adjustable weights are awesome. I have a set that goes from 3 to 24lbs in 3lb increments. I wish I had gotten heavier ones.

Do they clank while you use them?