Damn that blasted boursin !!!

Options
lucyhross
lucyhross Posts: 87 Member
ergghhhhhhh.... been eating ok today until i went downstairs to get a cup of tea.... completely failed.... managed to eat a whole 5.2 oz of boursin garlic and herbs in one sitting! stood there dipping my celery and cucumber into it.

Can't remember if it was the full fat or reduced fat- otherwise ive downed 600kcals if it was full fat!

i have my evenign meal at 5pm and tend not to eat after 7pm. but my tummy got the better of me - oh no another failed day!! :(

Replies

• teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as failure. Make good choices the rest of the day. If you can't stop yourself from eating what is in the house I would avoid buying it, that is what I have done until I developed the will power to say no.
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That stuff is super yummy, I agree. I deliberately avoid putting it in my shopping cart or it would only last a few days, IF that. ;)
  • lucyhross
    Options
    normally i forbid myself going into the kitchen unless it is really necessary- that way i avoid all temptations!

this habit has become too frequent, only yesterday i went to the kitchen (for a cup of tea...) anf managed to gobble up waaayyyy too many homemade brownies (bitesize ones) although somehow i chopped them up into thirds and only ate the middle and disposed the sides (wierd huh? no idea where i got the knife from!) so in the end i calcualted i only ate about 5 whole brownie bites. STILLLLL, shouldn't be eating this stuff in a regular occasion. must try to show my tummy who's boss and get out of this binging habit! i think its whats stalling my weight loss as it has slowly crept up over the last few weeks........
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    600 calories?? You gunna die!!

Just make it fit in your day.
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    If Boursin is a favorite of yours, you can make your own super easily from plain yogurt...which can be non-fat if you so desire.

Alton Brown's recipe is to take 1 quart of plain yogurt and stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. Then set it into a large fine mesh strainer lined with 2 layers of cheese cloth all suspended over a bowl or something. Fold the excess cheese cloth over the yogurt, set a saucer on top of that, and then put a can of something on the saucer to act as a weight (I usually end up using a 15-ounce can of beans). Park it in the fridge for about 4 hours to let the whey drain off, and you've basically got about 1 pint's worth of a great Boursin clone. This was featured on Brown's show "Good Eats"--more specifically the Season 6 Episode 4 show "Good Milk Gone Bad (Yogurt)". You can view this on YouTube at the URL below. The applicable part starts at around 15:40 and goes to about 18:40.

http://youtu.be/1jaUw4HIM9Y

You can totally play with the flavors. I think the stuff gets closer to Boursin's Garlic and Fine Herbs flavor if I stir in 1 clove of finely pressed garlic, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons each of fresh parsley and chives. I do also tend to add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin to that, even though cumin isn't in Boursin. I guess I just like the flavor.

I find that Fage 0% is the best yogurt for this application. It's much less tangier than other yogurts, so it *really* resembles cream cheese after you strain it. Since it's a Greek yogurt, (so some whey has already been drained), you'll drain it less. So you might just lose a cup or so of whey and so end up with about 3 cups of cheese...so you may need to adjust the seasonings accordingly.

I'd have to sit and calculate out the calories, but about 6 oz of a Fage 0% "Boursin" is probably no more than 150 calories altogether, and practically no fat. As you know, 5.2 oz of Boursin is 600 calories and 91% of its calories are from fat.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Boursin....You're fine, not a failure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love it. Man, I used to have one of those once a week or something... the whole thing at once. Then more food...
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    At least you were eating it with cucumbers and celery, that's positive!
  • jlw1cc
    jlw1cc Posts: 6
    Options
    Cheese is my nemesis... I feel your pain.

But hey, back on it tomorrow!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you need to avoid the kitchen but want your cup of tea, have one of those little immersion heaters in your living room/office. Or an electric kettle. Keep tea things where you can use them without temptation. It may seem silly. But whatever it is you have to do you can see as serious business.
  • lucyhross
    Options
    thanks for all the replies andideas!

im definitely going to try 'homemade' boursin. its just a shame that the real stuff is way too good to leave in the fridge...

does anyone know how i can stop my hunger pangs after 7? i think im like most people- eat well throughout the day but as soon as 7 comes the larder is my new best friend. i always feel so much better in the mornings having not eaten after seven- if i do then my tummy still feels like its only just eaten!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Ooh... Boursin! Not had that for ages, think I'll have to get some soon.

I realised at some point after joining MFP that I prefer eating more later on in the day. Setting a time limit after which I am not allowed to eat doesn't work for me. Now, I arrange my calories through the day so that I eat lighter earlier on, and have a large dinner and after-dinner snacks. It works for me. I feel satisfied and stay within my calorie goal. Might be worth a try.

Also - you didn't "fail". You don't fail at this unless you give up and stop trying.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how i can stop my hunger pangs after 7? i think im like most people- eat well throughout the day but as soon as 7 comes the larder is my new best friend. i always feel so much better in the mornings having not eaten after seven- if i do then my tummy still feels like its only just eaten!

I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Leave a bowl with Cheerios mixed with a few goldfish and a few spicy almonds or peanuts (I only buy the small snack blue diamond packages) just to be there around the kitchen. Have the Orville 100 bag popcorn in stock. Sweet marmalade in fridge to eat instead of dessert in pre-TOM days.