Riding a bike

I learned to ride a bike when I was young. In the 90's my husband & I did various road rides up to 25-50 miles. My husband loves to ride, but for some reason I have become afraid. Yes, I did fall a couple of years ago, but did not get hurt..just scraped knees and elbows.Anyone encounter something like this and/or have any advise. He wants to go riding with me , and I just keep saying no...and the more it becomes a big deal, the scareder I become.
Help!

Toni

Replies

• tjcnc
    tjcnc Posts: 21 Member
    Toni,

I have had the same problem. Not sure what the cause but I at times have no more confidence in my balance and judgement on how close I am to rails and walls when I have to go through tunnel on one ride. I just had to ride more often to get use to it. i also modified my bike to get a little wider wheels so i had impression no longer on those skinny road tires.

Good Luck to you
  • lisa86f
    lisa86f Posts: 2
    You could try adult stabalisers until you feel confident. Then remove them!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Do you have bike trails nearby, so you don't have to ride on the "road" with cars, etc? Has the anxiety of the ride been just the thoughts of it, or have you actually gone out on the bike and gotten flashes of panic?

Does your husband know of the anxiety?
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    I felt the same way when I started riding but now after riding more I find that I have way more confidence and not afraid as much.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    You could try adult stabalisers until you feel confident. Then remove them!

Aren't those just called 'training wheels'?

Haven't you ever heard of the phrase 'like riding a bike' implying that once you learn something you don't forget how to do it.

I would just go out and try it.

I'd rather walk places than be caught dead with these on my bike.

closeup1_retake_zpsbd213878.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If you want to ride, you are going to have to face your fear and get back on that bike. Try somewhere you feel safe like a park or back road with little traffic. Take it slow and build up your muscles and confidence.
  • ze_jesi
    ze_jesi Posts: 1
    This happened to me after getting hit on the road, even if you've had some close calls with vehicles it can be really scary. I increased my saftey gear (got a huge headlight, a nice helmet and shorts with pads built in) but I was still very hesitant to ride again. My boyfriend finally talked me into going on one short right (5 mi) with him and I realized I feel a lot safer if he is with me so now I only ride with him. I hate that I have lost bike riding on my own because I loved doing that to get my head clear or just get my heart pumping but my hope is that after riding around with him for a while i will feel comfortable enough to do it on my own again.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    I would recommend starting out slow in a place you feel safe (no traffic). I just got a bike last week and I haven't been on a bike since high school. I have been going out for short rides (5 miles or less) around my neighborhood to gain confidence before I go on a longer ride. I felt a bit wobbly the first time I rode the bike last week, but every time gets better. Riding on a bike is so exhilarating and makes me feel like a kid again. I think that if you take it in baby steps, you will be ok. Good luck!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Get a tandem.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    when i started riding again as an adult i got a hyrbid with fat tyres and lowered the seat as much as i could so that i could still put my feet flat on the ground if i needed to stop and there was very far to fall in case i did. i pootled around on bike paths getting comfortable with the bike and riding and as i got more confident i gradually raised the seat into a more efficient position. i eventually started doing some group road rides so there was "safety in numbers" and learnt more vehicular cycling and build up skills like being able to head check comfortably.

i also had a minor stack (going around a corner quickly on a tyre that i didnt realise was flat) and lost confidence, but i tried not to wait too long to start riding in case i built up the same fear in my mind that you have. i just took corners very wide and very slowly for a long time!

you will just have to bite the bullet and get back on the bike. im sure it wont take long at all for you to remember why you loved it.
    get your husband to promise to let you go at YOUR pace if you go on a ride with him, and enjoy :)
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I just bought a bike last weekend. I hadn't been on one in over 31 or more years! I was a little shaky the first time I took it out for spin starting out but by the end of that first bike ride felt very confident. I just rode it around my neighborhood that is mainly courts so not much traffic. I did that a couple times before I ventured out and had a helmet on. Bike trails are great if you have them in your area. There are two where I live but alot of traffic to get to them so I will probably drive my car to the place it starts park it and bike from there. I love riding my bike! I wish I would have bought one before now.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you want to ride, you are going to have to face your fear and get back on that bike. Try somewhere you feel safe like a park or back road with little traffic. Take it slow and build up your muscles and confidence.

Exactly.

I'm trying to get my mom back on her bike (she's almost 70), so I feel for the original poster. Its' a real anxiety.
  • ToniG50
    ToniG50 Posts: 9 Member
    Well I bit the bullet so to speak and went out for a ride this past weekend. I had my dh lower my seat and that helped so I could put my feet on the ground sooner.....haha. It went well and I now have some more confidence and I will try again!
    Thanks for all your encouraging words.
    Toni