Does MFP account for Basal Metabolic Rate?

Options
To keep things short, I eat around 3000 calories per day, and burn approx. 1300 at the gym by running and strength training. I usually net around 1500-1600 at the end of the day. BUT, does the MFP app take into account my Basal Metabolic Rate of about 2000 calories? Basically I am wondering if I am actually netting 1500 calories, or am I starving myself? Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If U say it like that the answer is yes.
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    so I am starving myself?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP does not take into account your BMR...all it takes into account is whatever weight loss goal you set. It's a calculator and the calculator doesn't care and doesn't know the difference between someone with 10 Lbs of weight to lose and eating at a 2 Lb per week deficit (which would put their calorie goal below their BMR generally) and someone with 100+ Lbs to lose who can easily sustain a very large calorie deficit.

If you are grossing 3000 calories and exercise off 1300 calories then you are around 1700 calories net which is below your BMR and doesn't even account for your NEAT calories. What exactly are you doing that burns 1300 calories per day at the gym? I'd suggest that you are either vastly over-estimating that burn or over-training and not properly fueling that activity. In RE to starving yourself, not really...that would require pretty much zero food for 72 hrs...the whole starvation mode thing is seriously mis-understood...but it's not healthy to net substantially below your BMR for extended periods of time as other issues arise.
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I run anywhere from 9 to 13 miles a day ( at 7:00 minute pace or faster), and lift weights afterward 5 to 7 days a week. I take in 200 grams or protein and 500 grams of carbs per day. I am maintainin body wight, and usually seem to have plenty of energy to complete my workouts. Should I be okay continuing this plan?