Dieting at Disney

Options
trtmom
trtmom Posts: 76 Member
I'm going to Disney for 5 days, any suggestions on how to stay on track? I have the quick service dining plan and I"m worried about healthy choices being limited.

TIA

Replies

• mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They will be limited, it helps to not eat the dessert you get with the meal plan you can trade that for a piece of fruit. Grab a water instead of soda, but also you will be walking alot so think about the calories you will be burning. Try not to binge eat with the yummy snacks, it will be hard. I went and lost 3 pounds and didn't watch what I ate.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Try for grilled chicken instead of fried or burgers. Get fruit instead of fries. If the restaurant has a topping bar for their burgers and sandwiches, load up on veggies. This is not a salad bar BTW (sorry, worked at Disney and this was hard to explain to guests that knew little English). Drink water. Bring some of your own snacks into the parks. Dole Whips are yummy. Turkey Legs are high in sodium. You'll be getting plenty of exercise walking around the parks. Don't fret, have fun, enjoy the food in moderation, they've got some awesome options especially at Animal Kingdom and the countries at EPCOT. Don't weigh for a week after you get back.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm going this summer and I'm really not going to worry too much because of how much walking you do...but there are healthy choices. I've already looked at the menus here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm and found some healthier options. Enjoy!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    can't miss with fruit & turkey legs!

when we went, we didn't have the dining plan, so we packed snack bars (kind bars, larabars, gobites.com packs) in our camelback backpack. We took electrolyte tablets with us, too (Nuun) and put those in after we got into the park. Ice and water is free, so we were well hydrated all day long.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    from their site

Healthy Food Options
    Disney is committed to offering a wide range
    of options for you and your family. We offer
    menu selections for all of our Guests, including
    children, seeking well-balanced meals, snacks
    and beverages as well as those with lifestyle
    dining requests or special dietary requests. Guests
    may speak with a chef or manager regarding any
    special dietary requests upon arrival at the dining
    location.

http://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/DTA-Domestic/pdf/2012Product/2012QuickService.pdf
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    can't miss with fruit & turkey legs!

SMOKED TURKEY LEGS FOR THE WIN!!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    :frown: Don't diet the whole time. You're going to be in the Happiest Place on Earth, and in that happiest place they have excellent macaroni and cheese, cotton candy, and giant turkey drumsticks.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds the week I went just by eating sensibly and from all the walking. I did get some desserts and try some new foods, but I just didn't over do it. You HAVE to get some DOLE WHIP when you are there- YUM! Enjoy and don't stress!
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you've got a smartphone that supports it or a pedometer, track your steps.. I spent two days at Universal over the weekend and burned a ton of calories just walking all day (gotta love 13 hour days at a theme park! ugh - haha)

That helps to offset some of the food, but yea, drink plenty of water and salad/fruit is just about everywhere.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Oh, just aheads up...

When you go to Epcot...go to France and hit up their bakery. It is worth the calories....believe me.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are actually alot of healthy options there if you look. For example in Epcot at Sunshine Seasons or the food courts hotels have good options too. Try looking at the menus in advance so you know what to expect http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm & most of all enjoy yourself
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I live an hour away and certainly go very often. We get the Florida resident passes. There are healthy choices in each park. I suggesty ou try to stick with the grilled foods versus the fried stuff and lots of water. you will be walking alot and standing you need to keep yourself hydrated. Its ok to take in a few extra calories while you are there, If you think about it you will be walking around for 8-10 hours. Dont worry yourself too much and have a great time!

ALSO!!!! you can take in your own snacks to the park. They are actually one of the few parks that allow guest to bring in some coolers like the lunch box types, with food and drinks. Thats what I normally do and it sits on the stroller I rent with my son. He is 5 but I certainly do not make him walk that whole park for so many hours.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    (kind bars, larabars, gobites.com packs)

All my favorites. Love gobites...I will be taking those this summer!!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Oh, just aheads up...

When you go to Epcot...go to France and hit up their bakery. It is worth the calories....believe me.

Before the bakery go to England and get a Scotch egg....still think about that.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The fruit cups at Disney are sooooo good! I had to ask someone if they sweetened the fruit because it was just awesome!
    I ate whatever I wanted when I was there, as much as I wanted (I didnt binge or anything like that, but, I mean, can you say "no" to beignets and turkey legs?) and I still lost 4lbs
    Just make sure to stay hydrated and enjoy your time there.
    You will walk plenty, thats guaranteed!
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    You are going to walk so much that unless you go crazy and eat everything in sight, you will be fine.Stay hydrated and don't weigh for a week to let the sodium get flushed out. Have fun on your trip! I love Disney and am going in July. I can't wait!

Also, if you want to scope out the menu choices beforehand www.allears.net has all the menus by location. HTH!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Disney for 5 days, any suggestions on how to stay on track? I have the quick service dining plan and I"m worried about healthy choices being limited.

TIA

If you go off track, can you get back on track when you get home?

If the answer is yes, then my answer to your question is: Enjoy your vacation and disregard diet.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

TIA

If you go off track, can you get back on track when you get home?

If the answer is yes, then my answer to your question is: Enjoy your vacation and disregard diet.

THIS.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    You'll be walking like 5-10 miles a day...take down liberties and enjoy yourself. If be there's grilled and lower calorie options at most places in the park.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Just don't go overboard and use common sense. I mean if you think about it to gain weight you'll have to eat pass your deficit +500 and then plus +700 over your maintenance on a daily to even gain a whole lb in 5 days. i'd just use common sense and moderation. Lots of fruits,veggies, and the good stuff too just don't lose your mind. The point is to be able to have a diet that can conform to your life, not make you miserable.