One month off from running?

Options
Hi. I have just gotten into running and enjoy it. I don't want to stop. However, my jogging stroller just got stolen and that's no problem for running right now, but in August my husband will be away and I'll have no one to look after my little girl. I had planned to use the stroller, but now it's gone. :frown:

Since I'm new to running, I'm just wondering how much will a one month total break set me back? It took me 5 weeks to get to the point of running 5k, so will I be starting back at the beginning again? Thank you!!

(aside: I'm inconsolable over the stroller. It was my "everything" stroller and they don't make them any longer. Although I hardly use it now that my daughter is getting bigger, I was really looking forward to jogging with her everyday by the sea in August. :cry: )

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into getting a new one?
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I tore a small muscle/sinew in my foot about 6 months after I started and was out for around a month. I re-started being able to do about half what I'd worked up to, but I know that you walk a lot and do other exercise so I don't think it'll be quite as drastic as a month of hobbling about on one leg was.

Ebay seems to have a decent selection of jogging strollers maybe that's worth a browse. Alternatively if you need an au-pair, I always liked going to Greece... (though my stupid job might get in the way)
  • sam_the_wicked
    sam_the_wicked Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to take about 4 months off due to spraining my ankle wicked bad. It took me about a week to get back up to a solid fast mile and another week to get back to two miles straight. I think your body remembers pretty quickly... and with the less time off you should be back to running what you are now in no time. :) Maybe you could get a cheap stroller from a consignment shop?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    First off.. who steals a stroller?

I would look into getting a new one if I were you. I know personally, it would set me back. I just know the "habit" would be broken and it would take time to get back into it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was able to find a really good deal on a used double stroller on Craigslist. Are there any good used options in your vicinity that would be affordable?
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    That's horrible! Was it taken from your home, or while you were out using it, or what?
    I had to take most of a month off from running just over a year ago because of a foot injury. It was discouraging because I had just broken out of a plateau and was running better times more comfortably (mostly 5K distances, sometimes up to 5 miles). The month off pretty much put me back to where I had been at the plateau, but a couple of months later, I was running better again. Now a year later, I have gotten well past where I was before the injury.
    If you can figure out a way to still workout, then don't lay off for the month, but if there is no solution, you will be able to recover it - it won't set you all the way back to a 5 week build-up to a 5K, but you will notice some loss of conditioning.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know this doesn't answer her question, but I think she should look on craigslist for her stroller. And then call the cops.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Check secondhand consignment shops and ebay. You might be able to get one for cheap. Is there anyone that you could borrow one from for the month? Check Craigslist too.

I took January off (ran once all month) due to a wicked cold and then some kind of flu. I definitely noticed a loss, but I bounced back much quicker than I expected. Keep running regularly until then and you won't be back to square one in September.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I took about 2 weeks off back in Jan due to an illness and it set me back a couple miles. I'm currently off until June 11th and I'm dreading going back. Not dreading teh running, but the feeling of failure that I wont be able to do my long runs right away.

But as I'm telling myself.... A run is a run. Regardless how far or how fast - just run!!! You'll get your time/distance back after some time.

As for the stroller - what a$$hats. I'd look into a new one. I know you really liked that one - but if it means that much to you to run w/ your daughter, buy a new one!!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had 5 months off due to a stress fracture in my hip before injury I could do 6 miles I have been back running 10 weeks and completed a 10k race last weekend. Don't worry it won't take long o get back into it. I was unable to do anything for 4.5 months as I was unable to weight bear and was on crutches, for you you can walk and do things at home if you want you will be fine.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's getting to be garage sale season. Might be able to find one cheap that route.
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to read the answers as I'm currently off running due to a badly sprained ankle myself.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes I am considering trying to find another. But my daughter is already very big and I hardly use it. I have another regular stroller. But for jogging, I'd only need it for one month, so I don't know if I'll buy one for just that month. That's why I'm asking. If there's a chance that it'd be a big blow (endurance-wise or mentally), I might go ahead and find a used one for August. Otherwise, I'll take the month off. At least I won't have an injury to overcome, so it sounds like a month (while still walking & exercising), won't be much of a hit to me.

To answer: Someone broke into our gate (while we were home) and took it from the courtyard. I'm stupid because we have a security door after the gate, but I never brought it in that far for years now, because I thought, "Who'd break in for a very old, used stroller?" ugh! Anyway, I know "who" (lots of professional thieves here).

Also, fyi, I live in Athens Greece and there's no use to call the police and we do have sites like craigslist & used stores, that I'll check out, if I decide to buy for the month of August.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I take time off from running and I use the elliptical instead it actually helped my pace when I started running again.

If that's not an option I say barrow the money and get a replacement ASAP.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have another regular stroller.

Will it handle brisk walking? There is an exaggerated way to walk for exercise that looks a little odd but is a pretty effective workout and it would keep the right major muscles toned.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I have another regular stroller.

Will it handle brisk walking? There is an exaggerated way to walk for exercise that looks a little odd but is a pretty effective workout and it would keep the right major muscles toned.

Yes! Thanks for the advice! I walked in my own little fast, exaggerated, odd way right before I started running. It helped build my endurance and I will definitely consider doing that with her in August (down by the sea :wink: )! Good thinking! Thank you!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If getting a new stroller isn't an option, make sure and do SOMETHING during your break. Maybe try Insanity or 30DS so you can watch your daughter at the same time. You can even just do squats, push-ups, burpees, and other strength training exercises in your living room to help your endurance, and keep you in the "swing" of exercise.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    If getting a new stroller isn't an option, make sure and do SOMETHING during your break. Maybe try Insanity or 30DS so you can watch your daughter at the same time. You can even just do squats, push-ups, burpees, and other strength training exercises in your living room to help your endurance, and keep you in the "swing" of exercise.

Most definitely! I'm a Jillian and FitnessBlender fan and try to work out 5days a week.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Found a good deal on a used jogging stroller. Going to check it out next week. :smile: