weight loss plateau

Options
mimapr
mimapr Posts: 27 Member
Hi,

I started at 165 lbs. and now weigh about 152. I am a 40 yr old female, 5' 8". 152 is within a healthy weight range. However, I can still see fat deposits in certain problem areas, such as my thighs, so I know I could lose some more weight. I am eating 1200 calories now and following a healthy diet. I also walk/jog from 2 to 4 miles per day.

My question is similar to another user's, below. Should I eat more, less? Is exercise the only solution? If so (I work and have kids, so I'm short on time) what type of exercise would you suggest for maximum results in minimum time?

Any other folks out there that experienced this kind of plateau and can share their experience or point me to the relevant post?

Thanks!!!!!

Mima

Replies

• hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    omg i was a basket case during my plateau, mine lasted i think 2 weeks i increased my water intake i had read that helps and i did up my exercise slightly, but i think mostly its time and patience which i should add i have non of , keep going hun this to shale pass.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Op: eat more. Go to 1400 a day and c if that helps
  • mimapr
    Options
    Thanks for responding! The plateau has gone for about a week or two now. :( I'm thinking 1) exercising more and eating more, to give my body a change of pace or 2)trying something called zig zagging that I read about in this forum.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. One week or two without a drop or even a small gain is not at all unusual. Our bodies hold onto water weight for a variety of reasons (hormones, stress, sodium, etc.) masking any fat loss happening. It's usually not considered a plateau until you've gone more than 6 weeks without a loss.

1200 calories is really low, especially if you're doing any exercise. I'd recommend bumping it up to 1500, or better yet plugging your numbers into a TDEE calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and eating 15-20% less than that.
  • mimapr
    Options
    Will check that link out, thanks. What does the acronym stand for? I've seen it around the site but is unfamiliar to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Will check that link out, thanks. What does the acronym stand for? I've seen it around the site but is unfamiliar to me.

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's the number of calories your body burns in a day including things like work and exercise. It's also the number of calories you'd need to eat in a day to maintain your current weight. If you eat below that you'll lose weight.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    I recently had a plateau - 2-3 weeks very very little weight loss. I just stuck it out - kept at my normal routine and this week I dropped 2.8 lbs.

So hang in there. I agree that mixing it up - adding more/different exercise, eating a bit more, etc. - can help!

Good Luck
  • mimapr
    Options
    thanks!!!!! I'm doing some research now but don't worry, I will not give up. :)