TDEE

Options
I just looked up my TDEE and it says 2384. If I take 20% off that it is 1907. Does this mean that I should be eating 1907 calories per day? If I exercise and burn off 500 calories, do I eat them back? I am just confused by it all. I am trying to lose 42lbs.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    yes eat that much. No, do not eat back exercise caories because they are factored in with your acitvity modifier.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I have been eating around 1200-1400 and I have not seen much weight loss. Maybe I should be adding more protein. I am eating the small meals a day, I guess it is a matter of finding what works and go from there.
  • dd270
    dd270 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I have been eating around 1200-1400 and I have not seen much weight loss. Maybe I should be adding more protein. I am eating the small meals a day, I guess it is a matter of finding what works and go from there.

Yes, you need to eat more. I know from personal experience.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When you under eat for a prolonged period of time ("prolonged" varies from person to person), your body slows its metabolism due to loss of lean body mass.

I suggest putting your scale away for 4 weeks, eat at your TDEE-20% and check results in 30 days. I did the same thing (twice) and had great results. I know it seems counterintuitive, but we need to properly fuel our bodies.

Aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (I eat at least 125 grams per day) and let the rest fall where they may.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting good advice so far.
    You might also find more help here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    what the kind lady advised is right. I am on my second day eating my tdee also
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes yes.
    Or save some cals for a rainy day.
    (eat at leat your tdee)
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    too new to understand all the acronyms too what is TDEE pardon my ignorance
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    (eat at leat your tdee -20%)

i mean..

:(
  • SlimJanette
    Options
    I have another question. If I calculate my BMI online it says that it is 25.6 (Overweight). When I started at the gym he got me to hold this thing and told me that my BMI was 35.6. How do I know which one is accurate?
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I am 4'10 and not loosing right at 1300...I was told that I shld be eating above my BMR of 1637 and at my TDEE-20% which is 1801...I jst dnt knw that I can eat that much!! I am ok with 1300-it fills me!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    are you afraid of weight gain eating your TDEE?
    what the kind lady advised is right. I am on my second day eating my tdee also
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Probably your BMI is 25.6 and your actual body fat percentage is 35.6. BMI is an index, not a percentage.

For instance, at 5'7" and 198 lbs my BMI is 31, but according to my fancy scale my lean body mass is only 107 lbs so I have 91 lbs of fat on me, aka I'm comprised of 46% fat. :(
  • Lindyxx
    Lindyxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Im new to all this, can someone help me out please on how many calories I should be eating, using the harris benedict formula my bmr is 1266 calories, and then using the activity level (moderately active) I get 1962 calories, how many calories should I be eating??
  • SlimJanette
    Options
    I am not worried about gaining, if I am hungry I eat. I don't want to get to a point where I don't allow myself what I crave once a week or else I will be bingeing.
  • SlimJanette
    Options
    Probably your BMI is 25.6 and your actual body fat percentage is 35.6. BMI is an index, not a percentage.

For instance, at 5'7" and 198 lbs my BMI is 31, but according to my fancy scale my lean body mass is only 107 lbs so I have 91 lbs of fat on me, aka I'm comprised of 46% fat. :(

Ok, that makes more sense. Not overly happy that I have 35% body fat, but that is why I am on here.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi Im new to all this, can someone help me out please on how many calories I should be eating, using the harris benedict formula my bmr is 1266 calories, and then using the activity level (moderately active) I get 1962 calories, how many calories should I be eating??

My suggestion is to eat 1569 calories a day (TDEE - 20%). Do NOT eat back your exercise calories, as it's already figured in. Give it a month for your body to adjust. Some adjust faster, some do not, but trust me, it works!
  • Lindyxx
    Options

My suggestion is to eat 1569 calories a day (TDEE - 20%). Do NOT eat back your exercise calories, as it's already figured in. Give it a month for your body to adjust. Some adjust faster, some do not, but trust me, it works!
    [/quote
  • Lindyxx
    Options

Thanks, Had been eating 1200 a day, but then eating my exercise calories so not much difference really, thanks for the reply :)