advice for a newby cycler

Options
I have signed up for a cycling merit badge with my step-son for boy scouts. Basically we will do several rides (2 x 10 mile, 2 x 15 mile, 2 x 20 mile, and then a 50 mile).

The problem is I am clueless about what to expect! I might ride the cruiser around the blocks with the kids once a month, but that's it. I am in the process of looking for an inexpensive used bike on craigslist that has gears. Then I'll have to get a helmet.

Do I need special bicycle shorts? What about a comfy seat (I'm a little worried about this part)?

Basically anything you can offer to someone who is overweight and embarking on a new fitness adventure will be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You can buy a gel cover for the seat of the bike. But I don't find I need it, some people say it can make it worse.

I have padded cycling shorts, but really i only use those for longer cycles + If I was just heading in to work I wouldn't bother (10 km) If I head out for a long cycle it's generally 40km or so. But really I find it doesn't take that much out of me, versus a 5km run where I'm wrecked after it!

Start by going around the block, increase it, then increase it, etc.... An initial target of 10 miles is very achievable.

Good luck with it!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Probably padded shorts will do more good for you than a overly padded saddle - as you get used to it you'll probably start to prefer a more stiff, narrow saddle. But yeah your sit-bones are going to hurt when you first start out.

You might also consider gloves.

Just take it easy and keep at it, you'll probably start to really enjoy it. Make sure you get a bike that properly fits you or can be adjusted to fit you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Definitely good cycling shorts! You will acclimatise quickly though.
    Gloves or mitts are good for comfort and also protection if you have a spill.
    Sun glasses so keep the flies out of your eyes.
    Practice fixing a puncture before you get one miles from anywhere!!

Bike-wise - generally the lighter the weight and skinnier the tyres the faster you will be. But you also sacrifice comfort.....

If you go with a mountain bike then 50 miles will be a challenge - definitely fit road tyres instead of knobblies though.

A good compromise is a hybrid. It has some of the comfort of a mountain bike with some of the speed of a road bike.
    Again the width of tyre indicates if it's biased towards speed or comfort.

Sorry if a bit jumbled - I'm in a rush. Feel free to PM me if anything not clear. There's some cycling forums on here as well full of zealots. :smile:

Enjoy!!!
  • saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought about cycling shorts! Or whether I need a mountain or road bike. Gosh there is so much to learn! Thanks for the replies so far!!!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Please, get a helmet with your bike though. There is a saying, it is not IF you get hit by a car, but when. A friend of mine was out a couple of years ago. A car didn't see him because of the sun and made a left hand turn into him. My friend ended up on the hood, smashing the guy's window with his HELMET. If not for the helmet, he would be either dead or a vegetable.
  • saraknotts
    Options
    Oh that is awful! I am definitely getting a helmet, not just because they require it but because I'm weary of riding next to traffic!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    don't worry, you'll be fine. once you get started it'll be just like riding a bike
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when you get on the bike, don't try to make a u turn and run your calf over the spiky thing the chain goes on. it hurts. and makes lot's of bloody holes in your calf. and might leave a scar. and itches right now.
  • saraknotts
    Options
    I did the 10 mile ride yesterday and although it was HARD, I made it. Today I'm not terribly sore but my pinky fingers are numb. I read some stuff online and I guess it's from gripping the handle bars too tight. Need to work on that next time!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great! definitely sounds like some sort of nerve issue - Gloves might help if you didn't wear any.