Why keep logging? I am there.

Options
After a year of dedication, hard work, and obstacles I have reached my goal. I plan to keep this lifestyle forever and have figured out exactly what works for me. I am training for my first half marathon.

For the longest time I could not muster any willpower. Recently I found myself in self destruct mode because I had lost a friend. Somehow, I was able to find my willpower and strength through this. Since April 16th I have not had a bite of cheat foods except for one fortune cookie on Mother's Day! My goal is to keep this up until I complete the half and then an entire marathon.

So, "Why keep logging?" Does anyone have any good advice on why I should still be on MFP tracking everything. I lost the motivation even though I am doing excellent. I guess I feel like, I've got this.

Replies

• Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I guess it really is a personal decision...If you are confident in where you are and your ability to maintain, then you should be ok, if you have any concerns then I would keep logging, and it is kind of nice to check on others and be there to support and motivate them along with getting some needed motivation at times. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
  • JensBeWellStayWell
    Options
    Thank you Ampingitup :) Good point, for others too. My story is similar to what I saw on your profile. You are doing great. I have a 17 year old and 12 year old and always put them first. Hit my highest weight then made a decision. Thank you and awesome job.
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    After loosing the bulk of my weight I stopped logging (this was well before MFP when I wrote it all down on my own!!). I have maintained my entire weight loss since that point. (I am on MFP because I have about 15 further pounds I would like to loose and I want to gain some muscle)

In any case - its a personal decision. My feeling was that I wanted to just - be normal - if that exists in any way. My thought process was that keeping active and trusting my body I should be able to maintain weight. Which I did. I still found myself mentally keeping tabs on what I had consumed in a day - and keeping a running knowlege of what goes in your mouth each day is important for anyone - but I found it somewhat freeing to leave the calorie couting behind for awhile.
    I just didnt see calorie counting until was 80 years old as a well rounded lifestyle! lol

Again -personal choice on whether you feel that will work for you.
    Congrats on your journey!
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations on reaching your goal! :flowerforyou: :happy: :happy: :happy:
    But - will you stay there? I've been on diets before, reached goal, then regained it because my "diet" was over.

I have a long way to go before I am anywhere near goal.....but goal is not the end of the journey.
    While you may not want to continue logging on the computer, I would suggest keeping a journal where you jot down your food.
    It's quicker so it shouldn't be a hassle. I would do that for a few months as a safety net.

Again, Congratulations!!
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from experience, as I have not hit my goal yet, but I would say try going without. Keep an eye on your weight/body size/whatever your measure is once in a while and if you see it start to slowly creep up, it would be an indication that going back to logging would be a good idea to make sure you don't go back to where you started. There are no set rules, no "this is what you HAVE to do" when it comes to your health and lifestyle (well, in this context at least). Do what works for you.

And congratulations! It sounds like you worked hard to get where you are.