dr oz kind of tdee number theory

Options
so I was watching dr oz the other day and he had that guy on who does that show with the weight loss over a year, can't think of his name but he had a system.

take your weight and times it by 12 - this is the number of calories you burn in a day. eat at thtis number to maintain, eat below and you lose. he also said you should have one cheat day - to shock your body as well as being able to eat things you don't normally eat. he did say even on your cheat days - don't eat 5000 calories. he says eat your healthy meal - then if you still really want a bag of chips or a doghnut or whatever - you can eat it.

i love this guy - god what is his name and this makes tons of sense to me - anyone have any opinions

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet <
    Same concept, but tools to more accurate calculators to get your TDEE number, and also macro settings. Been eating this way for over a year and have had my best success with fat loss during this time.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    doesn't work

I weigh 130lb

130 x 12 = 1560

I don't maintain at this number. I maintain at around 1900-2000 cals

I lose at 1850 cals

1500 cals is too little for me, I start to have problems related to undereating at this number. Not tried 1560 cals/day, but i'm sure an 60 cals won't make a huge difference compared to eating at 1500 cals.

I second the above advice about the "in search of a road map" thread (linked in the 1st reply to the OP.... trying to calculate how many calories you burn a day is the right way to go about it, just that there are much more accurate ways to calculate it, which the road map thread explains clearly
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to Extreme Makeover:Weightloss Edition? If so, the trainer is Chris Powell. What a hottie!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    There are more accurate calculators. By this person's theory I should only be eating 1500 calories to maintain. I'm eating 1800-2000 a day to maintain.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Umm by this theory I should be eating 3160 to maintain and I maintain at 2400 cals. Quack.
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options

take your weight and times it by 12 - this is the number of calories you burn in a day. eat at thtis number to maintain, eat below and you lose.

But he isn't taking into account activity levels which is pretty important.
  • rosem1020
    rosem1020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yes chris powell - love him - total hottie and so is his wife. love that show he does - real weight loss over a long period of time
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the take your weight x 12 = calories to consume in a day is supposed to be NET calories.

And the way I always heard it was that you were supposed to take your GOAL weight x 12 and eat that many calories in a day to maintain and x 10 to lose. The numbers come out pretty darn close for me.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    maybe accurate for a sedentary person but definitely not an active person.